Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
helpful. Thanks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Why don't he head to PC? Thought I don't know where the storm is currently headed.

That was my suggestion, the thing is a professor told him first day of class he takes off points for absences, never said anything different when this latest situation came up.

The professor answers to someone, go there. I've gone over the 'heads' of a few professors in my time. Lots like to treat freshman like they're kids.

The guy is gonna hear from me, my brother and probl'ly others. The other two nephews were told by their respective colleges (ROTC and Engineering at Tampa, I dunno the other) were told get somewhere safe, be back by Friday if you can.

FWIW the one in question is a Junior, potentially putting himself at some amount of risk over poorly thought out announcements.

Well, that sure as HELL isn't the direction I would go. It's up to your nephew to explain his case (assuming he can't make it back) and to go over the professor's head, if needed.

It sure as hell is not YOUR place nor your BROTHER'S place to talk to the professor.

This is the problem, the young man needs to stand up for himself. I'd be embarrassed, and pissed, if my dad and uncle had to fight MY battles when I was 18. But it wouldn't have been a problem, because dad wouldn't have. He knew I had to stand for myself.

If your nephew is too sheepish, then let him be eaten, he'll either learn or he'll become another door mat, there are plenty of them around.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Why don't he head to PC? Thought I don't know where the storm is currently headed.

That was my suggestion, the thing is a professor told him first day of class he takes off points for absences, never said anything different when this latest situation came up.

The professor answers to someone, go there. I've gone over the 'heads' of a few professors in my time. Lots like to treat freshman like they're kids.

The guy is gonna hear from me, my brother and probl'ly others. The other two nephews were told by their respective colleges (ROTC and Engineering at Tampa, I dunno the other) were told get somewhere safe, be back by Friday if you can.

FWIW the one in question is a Junior, potentially putting himself at some amount of risk over poorly thought out announcements.

Look up the dean on Twitter or other social media where your concerns will be visible to a wide audience. It a news outlet picks up that kids are actually headed into danger because of the idiot professor, this will be fixed ASAP.

Oh my Lord, not the approach I'd use either. People need to learn to make decisions for themselves.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Folks might be surprised at how clueless people who have never been around 'em are about tropical cyclones. We have prevailed upon the lad to remain in place.

As for the standing up for yourself thing, this ain't like a bully was taking his lunch money in Middle School. My sister's kid is not yet 25 and is already a Lieutenant in the Army Reserves as well as being the City Engineer for a town in NY State. As a Freshman he lost his ROTC scholarship at Drexel for a semester due to the idiot class policy of a friggin Freshman English adjunct instructor, the sort of idiot Lib who can't even change a tire. My nephew was so embarrassed at failing we didn't find out until it was too late. I consigned one of his loans, he's good for it of course but a timely intervention coulda saved him a bunch of money.

All my nephew in Florida heard a couple of days back from the Govenor on down was GET OUT NOW so he did, and from the Professor be back by Tuesday, so he was planning accordingly, never having been around an actual hurricane. Whoever that Professor is, he or she needs to know to think next time. I'm hoping at least this person teaches a subject of some substance and not some crap class.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Again, he needs to stand for himself and think for himself.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All my nephew in Florida heard a couple of days back from the Govenor on down was GET OUT NOW so he did, and from the Professor be back by Tuesday, so he was planning accordingly, never having been around an actual hurricane.

Is this young fellow bright enough to attend college, savvy what the words doing one's own historic research mean ?

no offense intended, ....he sounds dumber than a box of rocks.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 09/10/17.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Be a man, make decisions, learn from the results.
THAT is an education.
Some phag telling you to do stupid stuff isn't.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Folks might be surprised at how clueless people who have never been around 'em are about tropical cyclones. We have prevailed upon the lad to remain in place.

As for the standing up for yourself thing, this ain't like a bully was taking his lunch money in Middle School. My sister's kid is not yet 25 and is already a Lieutenant in the Army Reserves as well as being the City Engineer for a town in NY State. As a Freshman he lost his ROTC scholarship at Drexel for a semester due to the idiot class policy of a friggin Freshman English adjunct instructor, the sort of idiot Lib who can't even change a tire. My nephew was so embarrassed at failing we didn't find out until it was too late. I consigned one of his loans, he's good for it of course but a timely intervention coulda saved him a bunch of money.

All my nephew in Florida heard a couple of days back from the Govenor on down was GET OUT NOW so he did, and from the Professor be back by Tuesday, so he was planning accordingly, never having been around an actual hurricane. Whoever that Professor is, he or she needs to know to think next time. I'm hoping at least this person teaches a subject of some substance and not some crap class.

I still can't wrap my head around that. Hopefully someone can coddle him till he's 50.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
All my nephew in Florida heard a couple of days back from the Govenor on down was GET OUT NOW so he did, and from the Professor be back by Tuesday, so he was planning accordingly, never having been around an actual hurricane.

Is this young fellow bright enough to attend college, savvy what the words doing one's own historic research mean ?

no offense intended, ....he sounds dumber than a box of rocks.

GTC

Ya, we was all geniuses at that age. I wish I woulda known earlier, I would have told him to hang a left on I 10, head west, and get on the dry side of the eye.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
He shouldn't worry about losing points for being absent (especially if he is a decent student). He won't be the only one absent in the aftermath of a major hurricane. Even if the prof. deducts points now, he will give them back when he scales grades at the end of the semester.

My advice would be Party On!

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Ya, he was planning to drive through a hurricane to get to class because he's been coddled.

That Professor put my blood kin at risk through stupidity on their part, so ya they get to hear from me.

Others' MMV

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Ya, he was planning to drive through a hurricane to get to class because he's been coddled.

That Professor put my blood kin at risk through stupidity on their part, so ya they get to hear from me.

Others' MMV

That professor put NO ONE at risk. Sweet Jesus, you sound just like a liberal, which you are. BLAME, BLAME, BLAME.

He's a [bleep] adult, but go ahead and go full liberal retard on him.

Good Christ, what a bunch of [bleep] pussies in your family

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N

I still can't wrap my head around that. Hopefully someone can coddle him till he's 50.

At which point he will happily vote Democrat

Advice? MYOB. The fact that you're on here asking for advice on someone else's grown children speaks volumes.

Last edited by nyrifleman; 09/10/17.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually, I was wanting testimony from actual Floridians to pass on to the lad verbatim, so determined was he to be there Tuesday am. As for the rest, my brothers and sisters kids are also mine, and vice versa. Always been that way among my clan, YMMV.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The reason why he is driving south towards the storm is the f**king dickweeds at Florida Tech have put out that school will be open for business as usual on Tuesday mad and my nephew does not want to miss class.

OK, ASSUMING he has a full tank of gas in Valdosta Monday morning, what are the odds of him driving 300 miles back to Melbourne on Monday, Tuesday, or any day next week?

Serious question, I just found this out. He was supposed to head with a friend for North Carolina but he was worried about missing class.

Well, there will be a lot of his peers missing Tuesday classes. Irma will be ballpark Cat 1/TS as it moves thru the Gainesville latitudes around daybreak Monday and continues north. He will probably find I75/95 kind of lonely in the southbound lanes however. Weather at FL Tech will be windy and sloppy all day M/T and most likely T/W between J'ville and Valdosta.

FWIW, I have a degree from the school and (OMG!) missed a few classes along the way. No big deal then, or today. Profs give him any crap about missing a class, he needs to dose them with pepper spray. It will help them do what liberals do.....cry a lot........and remind them to pick on more supple targets.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Giving out the instruction that you had better be in class Tuesday or else, given the totality of the circumstance, implies culpability on that Professor's part. Perhaps I will get a different version from the Professor.

To the best of my knowledge Steelhead, you do not have a nephew who is a City Engineer and a Commissioned Officer, neither do you have a nephew currently serving enlisted in Kuwait, with orders for Afghanistan, after declining his acceptance to West Point. Most likely too your whole family will not be converging on Tampa next May to watch the first salute of a third nephew upon his Commisioning.

Mostly what you do here is write womanly spiteful coments to folks.

The nephew who is the topic of this thread is number four by age, if he turns out to be a screaming Lib because of me contacting his Prof to tell em my nephew was about ready to kill hisself rather than miss class because of what he said then well hey, three out of four ain't bad wink

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
He shouldn't worry about losing points for being absent (especially if he is a decent student). He won't be the only one absent in the aftermath of a major hurricane. Even if the prof. deducts points now, he will give them back when he scales grades at the end of the semester.

No such luck.

If I'd thought to check this time yesterday he'd be in Panama City partying with his brother and crew right now. As it is he'll
most likely be carefully conserving his stale hotel breakfast buffet bagels and watching the flat screen TV in his room.

Heck, I need to tell him to pick up a couple of cases of beer right now and go camp out at the nearest rest area grin

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

At which point he will happily vote Democrat

Advice? MYOB. The fact that you're on here asking for advice on someone else's grown children speaks volumes.

You are probably spot on, nyrifleman.

As for the kid, it doesn't sound like this is his first rodeo at being less than bright. Some people are genius but they don't have enough common sense to sharpen a pencil when the time comes.

..... As a Freshman he lost his ROTC scholarship at Drexel for a semester due to the idiot class policy of a friggin Freshman English adjunct instructor, the sort of idiot Lib who can't even change a tire. My nephew was so embarrassed at failing we didn't find out until it was too late. I consigned one of his loans, he's good for it of course but a timely intervention coulda saved him a bunch of money.

He lost his scholarship for a semester not because of "a friggin Freshman English adjunct instructor". He lost it because either he was told his entire life that he was special and rules did to apply to him by adult figures in his life, or maybe he's just not very bright concerning rules - good or bad - and how they can be administered in real life. If going to class was a requirement, it doesn't take a genius to see the light about not going to class. Anyone who has gone to college has been there. For an analogy, you, I, and anyone else who has ever waked into a gun shop since 1968 has been required to fill out a Form 4473 in order to buy a gun. Its a stupid law made by stupid people and it is not what the 2nd Amendment was written for, but it is reality. The same applies to a professor's possibly stupid attendance requirement, whether the professor is a conservative or a liberal is immaterial.

Its probably time for Uncle Birdie and Dad to back away and let Junior sink of swim on his own. At the rate you're protecting him, by the age of 30 he might have the highest IQ on his highway construction crew. Unless you or his dad can intervene and get him made foreman of the crew the day he's hired. In my realm of experience and the experience of others, Vietnam was filled with genius Lieutenant platoon leaders with tremendous resumes who in some cases couldn't think straight whether shots were being fired or not. Others were true leaders. I'd bet good money where Junior might fit in in today's military.

In total, your post is TFF to actually believe it.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Failed the class in December because of something in September, thought he had an "A", had an A every time he checked until the final grades were posted. Anyways, cream rises, Engineering is a real deal, ya don't excel in it by being a snowflake. A "F" instead of an "A" wouldn't be terminal for nephew 4 either.

As for the rest, I am in the habit of speaking the truth, naturally I couldn't GAS what you think.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick

No such luck.

If I'd thought to check this time yesterday he'd be in Panama City partying with his brother and crew right now. As it is he'll
most likely be carefully conserving his stale hotel breakfast buffet bagels and watching the flat screen TV in his room.

Heck, I need to tell him to pick up a couple of cases of beer right now and go camp out at the nearest rest area grin

Crap, turns out he ain't old enough to buy beer.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, Aviator, 11 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.