Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by moosemike
Broadheads require cutting diameter to be effective. Otherwise we'd use Bodkin points which can penetrate most anything. It sounds like you are talking about expandable broadheads.

No, I'm not. I use them now, but i still have a few Bear broadheades, at least the screw in version. Bodkins are for breaching armor. High impact at surface. It was actually more effective to wound than to kill. Dead was dead, but wounded tied up at least 1-2 other fighters to get the wounded man to cover, and care.

Bodkins weren't intended to wound by design. They were the only head that could drive through plate armor. Killing was always the goal. Now wounded horses on the other hand were a very effective battlefield weapon. Medieval warriors didn't stop fighting to carry wounded to safety too often

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
kingston,

You mean pandas don't like spicy Szechuan? Not surprising, since their standard diet is bland bamboo.

Let me know when your patent's approved, and I'll help publicize your anti-bear hat....

Thanks for the generous offer John. I want to see how Flave's field tests go before offering this domestically. So far he's credited the hat with a couple free hot cocoas, a coloring book and some crayons, but that was just wearing it around town. He hasn't gotten too much attention from bears. I'm not sure why. We're thinking about adding a fanny pack filled with a couple pounds of fried bacon to the mix. Let us know if you have any ideas, but please keep in mind that I need to keep this as scientific as possible.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Broadheads require cutting diameter to be effective. Otherwise we'd use Bodkin points which can penetrate most anything. It sounds like you are talking about expandable broadheads.

No, I'm not. I use them now, but i still have a few Bear broadheades, at least the screw in version. Bodkins are for breaching armor. High impact at surface. It was actually more effective to wound than to kill. Dead was dead, but wounded tied up at least 1-2 other fighters to get the wounded man to cover, and care.

Bodkins weren't intended to wound by design. They were the only head that could drive through plate armor. Killing was always the goal. Now wounded horses on the other hand were a very effective battlefield weapon. Medieval warriors didn't stop fighting to carry wounded to safety too often

https://d3axvdqkyu09xk.cloudfront.net/attachments/img_20150210_230434806_hdr-jpg.45118/

https://d3axvdqkyu09xk.cloudfront.net/attachments/img_20150927_214544354-jpg.45119/

I'm sorts familiar with the weapons and armor of the time period. Both in function and construction. I build it. And no, the bodkin points were not trhe only ones, just the most effective. Quite a few weapons were designed for that specialized job.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is that the men's room in back of the old Sinclair station?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
Is that the men's room in back of the old Sinclair station?

[Linked Image]

No, why? Does it seem familiar to you?

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They must use the same janitorial and maintenance service.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

https://d3axvdqkyu09xk.cloudfront.net/attachments/img_20150210_230434806_hdr-jpg.45118/

https://d3axvdqkyu09xk.cloudfront.net/attachments/img_20150927_214544354-jpg.45119/

I'm sorts familiar with the weapons and armor of the time period. Both in function and construction. I build it. And no, the bodkin points were not trhe only ones, just the most effective. Quite a few weapons were designed for that specialized job.

You and I could have some good discussions but there is not a forum on here they would fit into.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You and I could have some good discussions but there is not a forum on here they would fit into.

There is always PM's if you feel the urge that strongly. My avatar should have given you a clue wink
OP, sorry for the thread hijack.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I went to a presentation by an archer that was on a quest to harvest all species of bears with a recurve.

He was a retired postal employee. He had no children. He said he would often get asked by his wife's friends as to how he could afford all of these hunts. He would tell them he spent his Kids college fund...........all six of them.

Anyways he didn't really use a different broad head. But different arrow. He would put I believe a solid fiberglass shaft in side of an aluminum arrow. Now .......wait it gets better.

He felt the more mass in the arrow would allow more Kinetic Energy to be absorbed by the arrow from the bow getting released. This enhanced Mass and KE boost, would boost the penetration of the arrow.

His words not mine.

Last edited by Angus1895; 09/11/17.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Seems like if you want a butt load of misinformation the best topics are bears, snakes, and firearms.

In that order.

This thread has not disappointed on the bears...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Zerk
Originally Posted by Slider1
You are allowed to carry a side arm in Montana while Archery Hunting. You just are not allowed to dispatch an animal with it. But may use it ANYTIME for self defense.If you have a CWP it can be out if sight.

So can shoot a person with it, but must pepper spray on bears?

Just for zerk and the others who misinterpreted slider, when he said you're not allowed to dispatch an animal with a pistol, he meant an animal that you have a tag for and are hunting with a bow.

Not a grizzly that's charging or gnawing on you. That would be the "self-defense" he was talking about.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Seems like if you want a butt load of misinformation the best topics are bears, snakes, and firearms.

In that order.

This thread has not disappointed on the bears...

The "need" for magnums when hunting elk doesn't make the top 3?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No, because that's real.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I know a guy who hunted bear with a bow, and I told him to his face , he was nuts. But I learned a couple off facts. The arrows used for deer and the arrows used for bear must have different tips. Deer razorheads have a minimum cutting width of @1&1/2" and are intended for max blood letting. Not so with bear, a s they have a razorheads just larger than the shaft of the arrow. About the size of the tip of your little finger. They are designed for max penetration, so they can reach something vital. Deer tipped arrows would more than likely not penetrate enough to kill anytime soon. Then you have a wounded and verdy pissed bear on hand. Not good, not good at all.
He also told me, on any guided hunt, he is back-stopped by the guide with a rifle.

Laffin! Eastern tenderfoots are funny. Absolutely nothing in this post is accurate except MAYBE the first line.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Pintlar
I know a guy who hunted bear with a bow, and I told him to his face , he was nuts. But I learned a couple off facts. The arrows used for deer and the arrows used for bear must have different tips. Deer razorheads have a minimum cutting width of @1&1/2" and are intended for max blood letting. Not so with bear, a s they have a razorheads just larger than the shaft of the arrow. About the size of the tip of your little finger. They are designed for max penetration, so they can reach something vital. Deer tipped arrows would more than likely not penetrate enough to kill anytime soon. Then you have a wounded and verdy pissed bear on hand. Not good, not good at all.
He also told me, on any guided hunt, he is back-stopped by the guide with a rifle.

Laffin! Eastern tenderfoots are funny. Absolutely nothing in this post is accurate except MAYBE the first line.

It IS fun to watch...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I guess I could see you wearing this hat as an alternative to Ringman accidentally shooting you while trying to get the bear to spit your head out.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Isn't that the purple-helmeted warrior of love?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I am no grizzly expert but the highly suggested, first order defense -- a spray can -- for a quarter horse-fast, quarter-ton, very annoyed omnivore hurtling at a slow, ungainly and small biped has to have its nexus with a conference room of liberal-thinking, bobble-headed wildlife officials.

It might best and most safely be applied generously around the beast's nose and head soon after a cylinder full of hard casts was first -- these hard casts are less affected by the breeze in your face and won't be mistaken for self-applied Cajun, pepper rub.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That or you could make yourself a tin hat, wear it over a full length chain mail balaclava and sport a quiver full of skinny tipped arrows.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gun, rifle, or pepper spray. Choice one gun.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,481
Posts18,490,172
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.