Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
my daughters car - a 2001 Galant, has about 179K miles, was rode hard and put up wet by the previous owner. Picked it up for next to nothing, put some money into it and we've had it for about 3 years. It was the boys car for 2 years before she took it.

The past 6 months I've noticed that the oil light flickers on at idle after we've driven it awhile. Replaced the sending unit - they are notorious for those things acting up - didn't change anything, so I figure the oil pump is going out - which probably means the engine isn't far behind. It has a noticeable valve tick that I've ignored since we bought it.

I decided to roll the dice a bit. Bought some marvel mystery oil and put it in the crankcase, drove around the neighborhood for about 10 miles. Now the oil light no longer flickers at idle, but stays on - and it makes sense because that stuff thins out the oil. Thought maybe if there is some sludge gumming things up that will help.

So I drain it, flush it once with some cheap no name brand and then put in STP oil treatment and 10W-40 synthetic. If they had 20w-50 I would have used it. I'm looking on the shelf and I see some Royal Purple 75W gear oil. screw it, I throw in about 3 tablespoons of that as well.

Level it off, let the car heat up, drive it another 15 miles and no oil light at idle. I doubt I've completely solved the problem but hopefully I've pushed it off down the road for another 2K miles or so until she gets her license and I can sell it - with full disclosure to someone else.

( I have a little 5 speed VW for her once she gets her license)

Last edited by KFWA; 09/25/17.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lucas.....their I fixed it for u

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have lucas - I just don't know how much to put in there.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Wore out bearings. Ed k

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by edk
Wore out bearings. Ed k

Yep

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are right. Lucas Oil Stabilizer will probably help get some more miles out of that engine.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Don't put gear oil in an engine. The sulfur additives cause problems from what I remember. STP etc will increase viscosity which is what you're aiming for.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
gwrench is right about gear oil.

Straight 30 or 40 weight will be thicker than 10-40 synthetic. Little too thick in an Ohio winter though...

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I have almost 150K on my Suburban. I recently replaced the regular Mobile 1 synthetic with their 10w-40 high mileage and I get much better oil pressure with it.

Might be a good place to start.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
You don't need high oil pressure at all times, just when driving! Lucas as said above will help! My guess is the bearings are worn! Higher viscosity oil will help, be careful and don't go to thick. Power Punch might be be better than STP, in this case! Good luck!!

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Have a mechanic put an oil pressure gauge on it and see what the pressure really is. The sending unit/oil light combo is notoriously unreliable, I'd figure out what the real oil pressure is before I decided what to do.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've got an oil pressure kit.

I'm not sure I care enough about it to be honest . Its a $900 car that I need to get 3 more weeks out of.

But I hate to ruin a car just out of neglect.

Right now I don't have an oil light.

I'll pay attention and see what happens over the next couple of week and then decide. I figured that STP was so thick it would help..at least for awhile

Last edited by KFWA; 09/25/17.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Anything you do short of rebuilding will only last for a short time.

When that happens the bearings have reached their life span.

You might get some time with Lucas stabilizer and putting oil with a higher viscosity but it will be short term.
Might go for a year or 2 but also might go next week.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Anything you do short of rebuilding will only last for a short time.

When that happens the bearings have reached their life span.

You might get some time with Lucas stabilizer and putting oil with a higher viscosity but it will be short term.
Might go for a year or 2 but also might go next week.

yea, that's kind of what I figure too...I've read enough from other people's experiences to know its got a limited shelf life. Its served its purpose.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Don't wrap it up up and speed shift, you may end up with a rod through the engine side. It is probably the rod bearings and mains letting too much oil flow past instead of making a film on the bearings. The previous abuse before you had it is the clue. That "dirt" in old oil is the worn part of the bearings, rings, carbon from blowby, and it is abrasive, so wears things a little quicker.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Don't wrap it up up and speed shift, you may end up with a rod through the engine side. It is probably the rod bearings and mains letting too much oil flow past instead of making a film on the bearings. The previous abuse before you had it is the clue. That "dirt" in old oil is the worn part of the bearings, rings, carbon from blowby, and it is abrasive, so wears things a little quicker.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A lot of bad information on this thread so far. For the real scoop...google bitog. You will get real advice from people who know What they are talking about. I would avoid any snake oil...I.e adding junk like lucas to your oil.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Could be a bad spring.

I am MAGA.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Have a mechanic put an oil pressure gauge on it and see what the pressure really is. The sending unit/oil light combo is notoriously unreliable, I'd figure out what the real oil pressure is before I decided what to do.

Good advice above...

My 200K mile Frontier oil light was flickering and driving me crazy, in fact, that is why I bought the HF oil pressure test kit. It had good pressure and it turned out to be the sender. I do understand the sender was replaced. But if that sender is designed to illuminate at 15 psi at idle and the pressure is dropping to 13 psi, that is perfectly fine. Heck, if it was dropping to 5 psi I would not care as long as the goofy light was not flickering on a car I was planning to sell.

Dave

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The oil pump is generally the last component in an engine to go. It may fail due to a drive/shaft failure, but oil pumps just failing is a pretty rare occurrence.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

459 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 204guy, 1badf350, 163bc, 10Glocks, 41 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,219
Posts18,504,151
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.