Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't taken any pics but have been working on my first maceration job. Put son's bear skull into a home depot bucket full of water and put it out back about 200 yards from house. Wrapped bucket in black plastic to help build up heat and left it for 3 weeks.

Popped lid off the bucket and the stench was quite amazing. Next time, note made to remove all the brains before doing this. Thinking they were a big part of the odor. But after 3 weeks almost all the flesh was liquified. Power hosed it with hot water and skull was ready for degreasing. Now it is resting in dawn dish soap and fresh water every few days. All the nasal cavity bones are intact and it is looking really nice.

One other note. I'll put skull in mesh bag with small holes next time. Had a few teeth disappear in the liquid flesh pile and wasn't digging for them. Other than that, I am really liking this more than boiling. Total time spent on it is around 15 minutes so far. Way better in my mind than boiling. I'll put up a pic or two once I am done.

Needing to figure out a method for antlered game and if anyone has done it, let me know. Wondering about antler bases.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I simmer, not boil, with borax and dawn. Remove as much meat as possible along with the brains and it's much less stinky. Done in a few hours then bleach, done.

All American

All the time
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've boiled quite a few too. Boiling is fine but some of the small bones will be lost. It is also better I think if you don't have some acreage to deal with the odor. Like I said though, this was my first time macerating one. A few minutes trimming, toss it in water, let it rot 3-4 weeks, power hose it off, and then degrease. Its actually less time total I think. But the odor is really something and without acreage, I couldn't recommend it.

Anyone else done it and have more tips, I would love to hear them. Only things I can think of is better trimming and brain removal, mesh sack to put skull in and don't leave the leftovers where your dog can eat them and smell like death. Trust me on that last one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 30338
..... and don't leave the leftovers where your dog can eat them and smell like death. Trust me on that last one.

Don't leave any part of it where dogs (or wild animals) can get at it if you haven't had it sealed or whatever meets your state's legality requirements. (How are you supposed to make your trophy legal if both hide and skull must be presented simultaneously for sealing if dogs have run off with the skull? eek )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have done a few bears the same way with good results. Use commercial hydrogen peroxide and the whitening paste to finish it. I use plastic wrap after I use the paste and peroxide and leave it outside in the heat. Before whitening, I soak my skulls in acetone. I think it's better than dawn. I did a write up not too long ago. Of course all the photo bucket pictures are gone.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12065481/bear-skulls#Post12065481

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used the water rot off method on several deer.

Every time I do it I swear it will be the last

BTW.....don't bleach.....peroxide soak

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had decent luck with the last one by burying it up to the antlers in the garden and then covering with a box. The underground bugs cleaned it up pretty good without damaging the small bones. I put in in a wooden box in the ground to catch any teeth that might fall out. Make sure you put a box over the top to keep mice and squirrels from chewing on the antlers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSH
I had decent luck with the last one by burying it up to the antlers in the garden and then covering with a box. The underground bugs cleaned it up pretty good without damaging the small bones. I put in in a wooden box in the ground to catch any teeth that might fall out. Make sure you put a box over the top to keep mice and squirrels from chewing on the antlers.

Be sure and take mesures to prevent dogs from digging it up too

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I've used the water rot off method on several deer.

Every time I do it I swear it will be the last

BTW.....don't bleach.....peroxide soak

I don't use a household bleach, it's a hair salon product that forms a paste. I'll dig it out and get the name.

All American

All the time
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The peroxide soak desolves bits and pieces of yuk and grunge plus it knocks down the bacteria count to help with the smell.

Drill holes in jawbones to get the rotten marrow out.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've done about 10 deer with maceration, no problem. Place a board accross the top of the bucket to rest the horns.

Use a fish tank heater to speed up the process, both the maceration and the degreasing in dawn. I consider warm water a necessity in the degreasing process. Ambient temp just doesn't get the job done.

THE KEY: Complete degreasing is an excercise in patience. I've had a deer skull soaking since February. Grease will float on the top. As long as there's grease being removed I keep soaking. Its really no big deal. Set it up somewhere that is very convenient to maintain. Mine sits in a corner of the garage. I change the water every two weeks. It also requires topping off about every 5 days due to evaporation of the warm water. I've literally got less than 30 minutes total hands on time in the seven months that its been soaking so its no big deal, you just have to wait it out. A completely degreased skull is TOTALLY worth it. You will be amazed. Proper degreasing makes all the difference. Hang in there.

When totally degreased whitening is an option. You may not see the need to do it, but if whitened, it will be so clean you'll be occused of painting it. 40 Volume Developer with Simple White mixed in.

Regarding odor, all of mine are completely oderless. The key is in the degreasing soak time.

Here's a pic from this morning before topping off, after seven months of soaking. Notice the fish tank heater at 2 oclock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
CTsmith, those are beautiful and nice bucks too. Have to order a fish tank heater now. That is what I am looking for in the end and thinking this is the right process for me.

The bear skull, hide and meat were presented to the DOW here and they sealed the hide. After that process is complete, you can do as you wish with the parts. The leftover scraps I mentioned were rotten brains and flesh that were hosed off in the yard. Nothing was wasted on this bear.

Appreciate the insights and going back to look at the older thread link now. Here's to more punched tags and more skulls to work on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No need to wait that long using acetone. A few days will dissolve ALL grease, oil and fat. The skull will remain white and never yellow. It is a little tricky to seal off the acetone when dealing with antlers and prevent evaporation. Just be creative since the acetone will not harm the antlers. For a bear skull, just cover the skull with acetone and put a bucket lid on. You can keep reusing the acetone. It is pretty cheap at big box stores in gallon cans.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Send me an acetone skull, I'll soak it a week, and I guarantee the water will look like the above pic. Been there done that. My acetone skulls look no where close to the extended dawn soaked. I've found there's no replacement for time.

Top pic; acetone and beetles. Bottom pic; maceration, Dawn and time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Beetles for me. Then soak in borax and washing soda. I need to try the acetone as a final step. The peroxide might be better for preserving the small bones I will try that too.

It is also one of the few good things about fire ants those guys work fast and usually a wash tub with big rocks on it will keep the coyotes away.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Beetles are great too, but I don't have a spot to house them. My buddy does great work with beetles but logistically he is far from my place and his beetle colony has been having issues. Freezer has emptied out nicely so deer and antelope skulls will fit till spring warm up. If I get a large bull then I guess it's time to see how the fish tank heater I just bought works.

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by JSH

Be sure and take mesures to prevent dogs from digging it up too

Good reminder. My garden is fenced.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Where do you come up with commercial quantities of peroxide? No big box stores within 3 hours of here.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looked on amazon and tons of options for peroxide there. If UPS can get to you, that might work.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looked on amazon and tons of options for peroxide there

amazon is anti gun

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks, brown trucks bring lots of stuff here.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
My dad knew a guy who caught a very large snapping turtle and wanted to save the shell, he buried it in his garden and figured in a few months it would be nothing but bones. He didnt bury very deep and his dog dug it up and drug it to the house. Told my dad the stench would knock you flat.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Here's a pick of the above skull, after about 7 months of soaking in warm Dawn water, and then 24 hours in 40 volume peroxide. There is no coating what so ever on this skull. What you see is raw bone.

I will put maceration, warm dawn water, and time (time soaking in Dawn water is the key) against any other method. There can be no better results.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Beautiful job.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Here's a pick of the above skull, after about 7 months of soaking in warm Dawn water, and then 24 hours in 40 volume peroxide. There is no coating what so ever on this skull. What you see is raw bone.

I will put maceration, warm dawn water, and time (time soaking in Dawn water is the key) against any other method. There can be no better results.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What do the turbinate processes look like? If they are gone there are better ways of accomplishing the cleaning...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The bottom pic is a hint. Perfectly intact, same as the skull posted earlier in this thread. There is no more delicate cleaning process.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
The bottom pic is a hint. Perfectly intact, same as the skull posted earlier in this thread. There is no more delicate cleaning process.

Does the 40 volume have any side affects other than whitening after submerging for 24 hrs?
I have always just sprayed the skull and set out in the sun!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've not had any issues with 40 volume.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very nicely done!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I've not had any issues with 40 volume.

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very nicely done!

I'll give it a try I have an antelope skull that will be ready for peroxide in a month or so!

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I like the results I get from simply soaking the head in water a few months. I didn't like the time involved so started thinking of ways to speed up the process. What I came up with was to add Rid-x septic tank treatment. The bacteria really go after the meat and fat while having no effect on the bone. Skulls come out white require very little clean up and soak time is at least twice as quick maybe more depending on temperature. No need for heat or boiling which is never good on the bone. I shared this with a friend who cleans about 30 skulls a year for extra play money and he was shocked at how well it worked.

"He is one of the Legion lost."

"You care for nothing but shooting, dogs, and rat- catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thinking about doing a deer next. So no issues with the antlers discoloring while in the water?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks for all the info. I bought a 50W aquarium heater tonight. Dropped a small whitetail that I hadn't finished in it. We'll see how it goes.

One question, do you worry about the antlers being submerged? Your pedicules looks really clean and crisp, I don't know how I'd get that without submitting part of the antler.

Looks.like 30338 had same question.

Last edited by TimberRunner; 10/30/17.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Antlers were partially submerged. Never been a problem for me.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Great. Thanks.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
There will be a lot of stuff floating in the surface but it will wipe off with no discoloration.

"You care for nothing but shooting, dogs, and rat- catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Started a whitetail in what I thought was a well sealed container in the garage. After 36 hours, it reeked so bad it had to go out to the barn. Hoping the tank heater can keep up with the colder temps out there. Wrapped the 5 gallon bucket in an old blanket. The stench is not to be underestimated lol.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I forgot to mention the process will release gases , so a sealed could be messy.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you throw a horse turd in the water, and keep it warm enough, the bacteria will eat all the flesh right off, including the brain. I did my cougar skull this way, and once I had the temp of the water warm enough, it only took 3 or 4 days.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm doing both an elk and a whitetail skull in the same large container. My wife says she's gonna throw both away because of the stench. She's right, my garage has acquired a rotten flesh smell. I've replaced the water 3 times in a bout 2 weeks and it'll be better for a day or two, then go back to stinking. I'm going to have to boil and pressure wash this weekend and move this along.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5shot
If you throw a horse turd in the water, and keep it warm enough, the bacteria will eat all the flesh right off, including the brain. I did my cougar skull this way, and once I had the temp of the water warm enough, it only took 3 or 4 days.

I went with that Rid-X stuff. Curious to see how fast it rots meat off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hell, I'da give you all the horse turds you could haul....

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Better yet, howsa about we leave that bucket out there on the back 1000? Really hope this goes well as it is way worse doing this inside vs outside in summer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like using an aquarium heater. It keep temperature fluctuations to a minimum and I think the constant water temperature speeds the process.

I just finished a buck in 3 weeks.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I like using an aquarium heater. It keep temperature fluctuations to a minimum and I think the constant water temperature speeds the process.

Aquarium heater and anything else?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I used one in my bucket as well. If you can insulate the bucket and keep the temp up a bit over 90, the horse turd will get it done in just a few days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I cleaned a doe skull once by putting it in an eel pot and sticking it out in the harbor. Talk about stink, it smelled like harbor bottom muck for ages.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Seems like the tank heaters are key. Just did my whitetail skull in 15 days using a tank heater in the barn. Now it is resting in dawn and warm water for however long that will take. Couple of mule deer skulls out there rotting now.

Word of warning on Rid X. I had the whitetail skull in that at first and taped a bag around the top of the bucket and across the brow tines. Apparently the warm Rid X fumes carried a blue green mist on the exposed antlers. Was a bit worried but after going back to clean warm water, the stains disappeared. That said, won't use RidX on them again as they rot fine without it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a skull I want to try this on. If I do, I hope my yard barn contains the smell well enough that the neighbors don't call for the cadaver dogs. laugh

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
LOL, its a possibility. And you may have a few possums and coons wandering around with high hopes. Actually when I close the door to the barn, I don't hardly notice it outside, though barn time at present is kept to minimum....

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Couple of pics of nasal detail that is saved with maceration. This is from my whitetail I am finishing up.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Mule deer buck degreasing now. Looking good though.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Tired of paying $225 a pop for euros so I figured I’d give er a try. Got a Muley soaking for 3 weeks, pulled it out today hasn’t changed much. Been in the 40’s so it’s probably too cold? Bought a fish tank heater today, holds steady at 78 so we’ll see if that expedites the process

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Judman
Tired of paying $225 a pop for euros so I figured I’d give er a try. Got a Muley soaking for 3 weeks, pulled it out today hasn’t changed much. Been in the 40’s so it’s probably too cold? Bought a fish tank heater today, holds steady at 78 so we’ll see if that expedites the process

If you can get it to the low 90's you'll be much better off. It will only take a few days at the higher temp.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Schitt, the heater I bought is fixed 78 degrees.... guess it’ll take a little longer.

On another question, how you guys getting the brain out? Thanks

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Judman,

I have a muley soaking with Rid-X and an aquarium heater I am at the one week mark and ya my polebarn stinks.

I took mine to the car wash first and blasted the brains out with the pressure washer.

My barn is in the teens at night and low 30's during the day but the aquarium heater seems to be working, my guess is the water is in the 60-70 degree range?
That's just a guess, I don't want to stick my finger in the water to test it. wink

The last one I did was a bear skull, let it soak all summer and it turned out nice. Had to put it in the far corner of the property due to stink.

PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Right on I’ll have to pick up some rid x sounds like . Thanks

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Schitt, the heater I bought is fixed 78 degrees.... guess it’ll take a little longer.

If you get the temp up, and throw a horse turd in there, the brain will be gone.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A *fresh* road apple.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
green or brown?......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wish I could get some of the progress that some of you all have.
Going on about 6 weeks now.
My heat source is a 2nd hand hotplate on the roof of my barn. Plenty of warm days have the water temp in the 80's pushing 90 but haven't had any of those days lately. Adding Dawn and septic treatment chemicals.
Stink is greatly reduced making me think the material that remains is inert but haven't been eager to get hands-on with removing it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ironbender
A *fresh* road apple.

Yes, fresh...I prefer green.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I don’t get it why folks wait seven months for something to happen that can easily be accomplished in three or four hours in my backyard. I boil the skull in a pot with borax and laundry detergent. Periodically I scrape off and all remove the meat that has been cooked off the bone. About the time “most” of the meat is removed, I’ll pour out the water and re-boil with a new borax/detergent solution to really clean and deodorize. I have a somewhat large set of forceps I got from a surgeon buddy that really help with the little bitty meat scraps that want to hang on. Plus, it’ll yank the brain out, piece by piece, very effectively. After that I wipe it down with a 40 volume peroxide paste solution from my beauty shop overnight and all is well. The end result is as professional looking as any ther skull mount you’ll see.

For years I used a 40 volume liquid solution for the skulls. It would require three or more gallons to cover the skull. I could reuse it maybe two more times before the peroxide lost its strength. I used a paste solution this time, painting it on with a small brush and the results were outstanding. I may have used a third of a gallon. So in the end, it works better and is less expensive.

Last edited by Godogs57; 12/06/17.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

If you get the temp up, and throw a horse turd in there, the brain will be gone.

Haha I’ll try the rid x....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Haha I’ll try the rid x....

That may work, but I KNOW the horse turd does.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by huntsman22
green or brown?......

Tis time of year here, brown.
It's seasonal as you know. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

It does indeed. When I lived in Fairbanks, i had friends that worked for the Inst of Arctic Biology. When they had any animal that they wanted to clean not just the skull, but the entire skeleton, they made a stop at Casa Ironbender for a trash bag o'sshit.

IIRC, more than a few ended up on display.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

It does indeed. When I lived in Fairbanks, i had friends that worked for the Inst of Arctic Biology. When they had any animal that they wanted to clean not just the skull, but the entire skeleton, they made a stop at Casa Ironbender for a trash bag o'sshit.

IIRC, more than a few ended up on display.

I knew Squarebanks is different, but displaying bags o' Ironbender schit is going much farther than even I imagined!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It was a BIG bagful! very impressive!
wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My sshit is also awesome on rhubarb. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
green or brown?......

Tis time of year here, brown.
It's seasonal as you know. wink

Well, I just got a new horse and his is green. They was feeding alfalfa......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The seasonal change here is very evident. Color and consistency!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Also, we need a thread with pics and stuff.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Took some horse shoes to work and had a inmate make me some skull hangers.....
[Linked Image]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Goofball.

Them are tack hooks.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Haha seen em on the web so I figured I’d have some made up

Ain’t easy havin pals.
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Heat seems to make a big difference. Have two tank heaters in insulated 5 gallon bucket. Figure in these cooler temps I'll need 3-4 weeks. After that will blast with hot water and put in heated dawn soap soak. Then the peroxide and done. Hope to see some pics from folks in a few weeks.

Any thoughts on an antelope skull with this process? Remove horn sheaths before soaking?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes remove them. The ones I've plaque mounted I mixed up Bondo, poured some in the sheath, placed the sheath back on the bone, works good.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
so does silicone caulk....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well hell, that's cheaper and easier than mixing up Bondo!!! Thanks for the tip Don.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The maceration process is all about water temp. Get the temp close to 90 degrees and its clean as a whistle in less than two weeks. The brains will pour out. 200 watt 90 degree heater will do the trick. Amazon has them for $20. The process is a breeze with the right equipment.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The maceration process is all about water temp. Get the temp close to 90 degrees and its clean as a whistle in less than two weeks. The brains will pour out. 200 watt 90 degree heater will do the trick. Amazon has them for $20. The process is a breeze with the right equipment.

+1. You can let it sit for months at low temps with no results but a bad smell. Get the bacteria rolling and it takes days. If you get the temp to mid 90s it will take a few days.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Water temp is making a huge difference, she’s starting to get stinky...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
She’s steaming and stinkin....
[Linked Image]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well 3 weeks in cold water, 1 week in water water....
[Linked Image]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So I changed the water and went down to the neighbors place and grabbed a bag of horse Schitt... maybe this will speed it up???
[Linked Image]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
After a week with heat and horse schitt.... changed water gonna try rid x now I guess...
[Linked Image]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's a lot of meat and gristle you could have taken off that skull first which would have helped significantly.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I guess so. Changed water, hoses off the skull, trying rid x now

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Put some rubber gloves on and started strripping, unbelievable.....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not warm enough. 1 week in the horse turds at 94ish degrees and there wouldn't be a thing left.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My sshit is also awesome on rhubarb. wink

And my rhubarb thanks you...

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I’m just not getting it....boil it, strip it, peroxide it and be done. Mine boil most of the day, entire process done by afternoon. Peroxide for a few hours and by the next day, when dried out, it’s ready for display. Why make it more difficult than it has to be?

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If you live in a neighborhood, or don't have a place that something can macerate without the odor driving you nuts, boiling is your best bet. I just completed my 5th macerated head and it takes way less time than boiling. I have less than 1 hour of time per head in labor. Every bone detail is intact and the skulls look fantastic. I've boiled dozens over the years and this maceration process provides way better quality with less work. But I have a great place to macerate them now and did not before.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
as long as you don't have to work in the shop building......

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Not warm enough. 1 week in the horse turds at 94ish degrees and there wouldn't be a thing left.

Exactly.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you live in a neighborhood, or don't have a place that something can macerate without the odor driving you nuts, boiling is your best bet. I just completed my 5th macerated head and it takes way less time than boiling. I have less than 1 hour of time per head in labor. Every bone detail is intact and the skulls look fantastic. I've boiled dozens over the years and this maceration process provides way better quality with less work. But I have a great place to macerate them now and did not before.

You hit the nail on the head. Boiling can't compete with maceration in terms of quality of the final product. Hands on time with maceration is less, assuming your water is hot enough.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The results are clearly better with maceration and I have done scads of skulls, all kinds of ways... but there is no way I can do an ordinary size skull with just an hour worth of work, even if I am doing big bunches at a time.

Far better than boiling is just a plain old pressure washer.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Getting somewhere now. God damn I’ve never smelt anything like it... grin

Little more meat on er but gettin close....
[Linked Image]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A $25 20 qt pot and a $15 1000 watt single burner hotplate from Amazon. Take 15 minutes to skin game head, 3-4 hours on hotplate in 20 qt. pot, tie skull to sawhorse and blast what is left of flesh off with power washer. Really nothing to it. Do a couple of deer skull mounts every year. Bleach skull with Peroxide Cream ordered from woman hair care site off internet, won't degrade bone like bleach does. Coat with Mop and Glo to seal skull and antlers. You can watch your favorite TV show or browse the Campfire while "cooking" is taking place. The qt. of Peroxide Cream and bottle of Mop and Glo will do about 5 to 6 skulls or more.

Last edited by ChuckKY; 12/31/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My skull guy uses Mop and Glow on his commercial customers heads, too.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Just changed the water again, dumped a bunch of dawn in er. Still got some weird hangers outta the nasal passages. Fish tank heater is still working, weather has been in the 30’s -40’s outside since the project has begun....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A buddy put one on a fire ant mound for a few weeks. Worked.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I finish soak mine in Oxy Clean

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good thread! Though for now, a 1/4 tank of gas and 75 bucks I get a beetle cleaned skull without the hassle or stink. They turn out great!

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, if you don't have a place that can handle the stench, writing a check solves a lot of problems lol. That said, I do actually like doing these myself now. Learned a lot this year and next year's work should be even better.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yep, if you don't have a place that can handle the stench, writing a check solves a lot of problems lol. That said, I do actually like doing these myself now. Learned a lot this year and next year's work should be even better.

Are you doing them in the summer?? Ever do one in the winter time? Mine is taking a long damn time! Thanks

Ain’t easy havin pals.
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I use a 5 gallon home depot bucket. Wrap it in towels that are bungee corded tight around the bucket. Fill to brim with clean water, submerge head, 1-2 electric fish tank heaters set on 90 degrees, put a black plastic trash bag over the top, and then put 2 more thick towels on top of the bag to insulate the top. Doing it that way took me 15-18 days of rotting in weather down to low 20s at night and 50s during the day.

If the water isn't warm enough, doesn't work well. I used some of that septic tank stuff in this same manner and it actually removed the brown stain from the antler bases. I would not use that stuff in this manner. I fixed with hot coffee grounds rubbed in till the bases were browned up again, so no big deal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Gotcha. Stopped at Home Depot and grabbed a water heater insulation blanket, I’ll wrap my bucket up and throw a bag over it.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Month 3, membrane in the nasal cavity seem to be hangin me up
[Linked Image]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Fish heater got my bucket insulated, lots of dish soap.
[Linked Image]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It should be nothing but water. The dish soap is killing off your rot. Don't degrease till after the skull is totally clean. Hot water for about 17-18 days had my skulls totally clean. Then I degreased and hit them with peroxide.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh gotcha.... think I should put some more rid x in there?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Been running dish soap for about the past month. Guess I probably need another tank heater or 2 to keep the temp up too?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Patients is what it takes

I put mine in a bucket of water then cover it with a black trash bag in late November and don't bother with it until May.

Rinse in off and clear the extra stuff out of the tiny spots then finish soak in Oxyclean

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Judman, If you can keep that water at 80 degrees, totally clean water with nothing added, that project will be done fast. I was running two tank heaters and had my tank wrapped up. I did not like the Rid x as it discolored one set of bases I had. So I got away from that. Just add water, and let it rot with the heaters. It'll go fast.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Copy I just rinsed everything off/out and put straight water in er.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Keep the water warm and it'll be clean soon enough. These were 2 of the 5 I did this fall. They turned out pretty good for me and my patience level. I've got 3 tank heaters now and a lot of buckets. Ready for more work this fall.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Those look damn nice. My taxi says done right shouldn’t take more than 2 weeks . I need another tank heater, it’s been pretty chilly here, water is only Luke warm. The heater I have is fixed temp at 78..

Ain’t easy havin pals.
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Add another tank heater, drape a black trash bag over the top of that bucket and put an old blanket or a couple of shop towels over the top of that. Will really help hold heat in if you do. Your close, just need to get the heat up and let er rot minus the soap and rid x.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It should be nothing but water. The dish soap is killing off your rot. Don't degrease till after the skull is totally clean. Hot water for about 17-18 days had my skulls totally clean. Then I degreased and hit them with peroxide.

Yep you're right, shop stinks like a bastard again.... grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The odor is kind of rough. I hate to say it but after about 5 skulls this fall, I almost got used to it. Let it go for 10-12 more days and you should be done. It'll be worth it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Copy and thank you Kurt, appreciate the pointers.

I wish someone would make this a sticky, good info here on what and what not to do....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
PS, I dunno how that stench could become normal... grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I put mine in a large Rubbermaid Rough Tote type container with a lid and put it on the deck(had to be close enough to an outlet for the heater). This cut down the stench about 90%. Pop the lid off to check on it and it will bring tears to your eyes though.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
JSH, You doing this on skulls with no antlers or how are you fitting those? If with antlers, I'd like to see a pic of that setup.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya, are the horns submerged?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just finished up this bear skull (what's left of it) for my daughter. That little 80 gr TTSX ended up in the forward part of the bear's front leg.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That looks good, need to check on my buck skull....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

Congrats to your girl kid!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
JSH, You doing this on skulls with no antlers or how are you fitting those? If with antlers, I'd like to see a pic of that setup.

Sorry, I missed this earlier. Just a large plastic tote with a lid and I run the aquarium heater cord out the lid. Nothing fancy.
The key is to not shoot too big a buck so that the antlers fit. grin
I think you can get the container even larger if needed but this probably wouldn't work for an elk.
I fill the water right up to the base of the antlers but don't submerge them.
It really does cut down the smell a lot.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JSH; 03/30/18.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This has gotta be ready for degrease huh Kurt?
[Linked Image]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep.....dish soap and oxyclean

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That looks better than mine did, before going in the Dawn.....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Cool thanks guys. Now how long to degrease? Grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I soaked mine in dishsoap for 2 weeks

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Copy that. Obliged

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep...the longer the better it gets

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looks good. I swap out the degreasing water about every week and refill with hot tap water. Not sure how much the hot helps but thats what I've been doing. Buy some of that creme peroxide for hair care when you get done and brush it on. I set mine in a plastic tub and coat the piss out of it for a few days. Keep that off the antlers.

On a side note was moving some stuff around the barn yesterday and kicked one of the blankets used to wrap the 5 gallon buckets used for rotting with. After 5 months it still stinks like heck. Wow.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Cool thank ya sir!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Got mine done finally, think it turned out pretty well. One thing for sure, the skull is in a lot better shape after masecration vs boiling. I need to get another fish tank heater or 2 to try to speed it up, that and I am finishing up a green house for the commander right now, so that should help as well, vs being in the cold shop. Very happy with the finished product.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
did you bleach yours?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Don, went to the local beauty supply store and picked this stuff up. Mix er up to a paste consistency, brush it on, spray off with water a couple hours later. Seemed to work good.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't bother to bleach this years buck after soaking in dishsoap. He looks clean enuff to nail to the wall as is, without the extra work. And besides, nobody but me is gonna be seeing him, to critique the job...

.[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I seen him. I think you missed a spot.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Looks good

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Forgot the pic.
[Linked Image]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Only his hairdresser knows for sure.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thought I'd bump this one back up. Got 3 skulls in buckets with tank heaters and today marks the 6th day. Might have to go take a look at them today and check water level. 2 more heads are in the on deck circle so hoping to keep things moving. Based on the stench factor it appears the tank heaters are working.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Didn't want to risk my phone around the stench. After 6 full days in the 84 degree water, the 3 skulls are at least 85% cleaned off. Emptied out the initial water, refilled with hot water, dropped in tank heaters and wrapped by up in blankets. Total time expended on 3 skulls so far is around 20 minutes and only expense is 5 gallon buckets, water, and tank heaters. I may buy 2 more tank heaters to expand my capacity.

Pics in a week when these 3 should be done.

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ve got a couple of Antelope skulls stewing in a covered rough tote as well. Cuts down on the stench enough that my wife will let me keep it on the deck.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
First two are out of the rot bucket. Key is having water temp 85-90. These took 8 days and today I hit them with my garden hose with hot water. They are completely cleaned off. Now sitting in dawn dish water to degrease. Need to get the other 3 done so I can put the tank heaters in the dawn water. Then last step is hitting them with peroxide paste.

I have very little time in these and they have all the bones and crevices totally cleaned out. Will post finals when done degreasing.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Anybody do a antelope this way?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

2017 Antelope....

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have lots done this way.. Nice easy to move around...

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So take the sheaths off and let em soak? Thanks

Ain’t easy havin pals.
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I practiced on a small antelope last year. Just let the head rot a few days and keep twisting around on the horn sheaths. They eventually popped off from the decaying process. Hit them with hot water and then let them dry out. No damage and worked fine. Then let skull do its thing like any other one. I wouldn't hesitate to do a big antelope using that process.

Ackleyfan, that is one seriously big looking antelope, congrats.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
30338, thats the way to go! To all you guys that have trouble, you're not getting the water warm enough, its that simple.

Regarding the dawn soak, I've had an unusually greasy mule deer skull soaking for over six months, change the water twice per month, and still getting a significant amount of grease floating on the top with each water change. Observing the skull shows the grease spots, mostly which are gone now, maybe its almost done. As a side note, I'm in Alabama so this buck was obviously killed out of state. Our laws require all skulls imported be cleaned before they get here. Beatles did the cleaning and I requested that the taxidermist not degrease, but he degreased by mistake. Whatever chemicals used did not even remotely work as well as dawn and water. Dawn has been continuously drawing grease out of a "degreased" skull for over six months.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
CT, I'd be curious to see you try something with that skull. I just did 3 skulls, have 2 more rotting but not sure 3 tank heaters can keep up with overnight low here of 9. Anyway, on the 3 I just did, I sat them in Dawn and hot water for 2 days. Rinsed well, coated in 40% peroxide paste and sat them in the sun for 8 hours. They are totally pure white. Now they could seep grease out I guess at a later date, but the ones last year have not yet.

If you try that and it doesn't work, could you then just go back to soaking it in Dawn? I get impatient and it seems like the sunshine peroxide combo is working really well. If you try it, let me know how it goes.

Gotta go out to barn and see if I can rig something over the 15 gallon tank to keep the heat in without burning down the barn.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've gone the quick route and grease spots showed up each time. I'm peculiar in that I want no grease floating after a two week soak. I soak until that happens. But if you're happy with it, by all means, rock on.

Regarding re-soaking in dawn after peroxide, later on down the road, absolutely you can. Peroxide does nothing to trap the grease in. I soaked old euros that had been simmered, back before I knew better, and it was pretty darn effective.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I practiced on a small antelope last year. Just let the head rot a few days and keep twisting around on the horn sheaths. They eventually popped off from the decaying process. Hit them with hot water and then let them dry out. No damage and worked fine. Then let skull do its thing like any other one. I wouldn't hesitate to do a big antelope using that process.

Ackleyfan, that is one seriously big looking antelope, congrats.

Thanks,

Pretty much the exact process I used on this antelope, I put it in a black garbage bag in a plastic feed barrel for 3-4 days in the summer heat and the sheaths will just pull off, then put the skull back in a 5 gal bucket and soaked for a couple weeks then I degreased in dawn, and then I sprayed with 40% HP!

I bought a tank heater to speed the process on the next ones after reading this thread!
I think this maceration process turns out very good results

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

2017 Antelope....

[Linked Image]

Ya man what a hammer !!!! Got the sheaths off mine already gonna dunk er in water

Ain’t easy havin pals.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

2017 Antelope....

[Linked Image]

Ya man what a hammer !!!! Got the sheaths off mine already gonna dunk er in water

looking forward to your results!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I posted my progress on a muley in this thread last year, by far the best euro mount I have. Just gotta be patient

Ain’t easy havin pals.
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here are the last two to get through the process. Have 6 more coming at a minimum this year from friends and family. The stench in the barn is pretty real lol. Toughest part is keeping the rot buckets warm on cold nights.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here are the last two to get through the process. Have 6 more coming at a minimum this year from friends and family. The stench in the barn is pretty real lol. Toughest part is keeping the rot buckets warm on cold nights.

You definitely have the process dialed in

very nice looking skulls!

Do you seal them or leave them natural?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What container do you use for the elk skull? I have a bull I shot a couple weeks ago I’d like to do. Have a Buck from the weekend and a couple bears in the freezer I need to work up too.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ackley, been leaving natural. It leaves options if any grease were to surface later. But sealing is a rattle can away.

TheKid, ranch supply store had a 15 gallon black soft rubber like horse water bucket. I had 3 tank heaters in it. It fit an elk and a mule deer at same time. On the bears, be careful on having teeth fallout and get lost in the sludge. Not sure how you get around that on the bears.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
[Linked Image]

It warmed up here the other day, so I put a heater on my frozen bucket of bear skull.

I guess I need a tank heater.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
TheKid, This is the container:
https://www.bigronline.com/miller-mfg-15gallon-heavy-duty-rubber-tub-black-601415.html

CWH2, that'll look like new after about 12 days in some nice luke warm water.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I take a simpler path. Put the skull in the canal and hope the gators don't make off with it. Crabs take care of the light work. Tusks on the bottom, pick 'em up and glue them back in place. Short soak in bleach,dry it out and go. 3 days in the water was all it took.

[Linked Image]

Resurrected:

[Linked Image]

Crabs gotta eat too.

And these clowns as well.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Trying an experiment with a small tank aerator in the Dawn soak along with the tank heater. Thinking that agitated warm water may degrease a little faster than still. We'll see.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just put 3 buck skulls in to rot off.......I will pull them out in May or June

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Why no tank heater and done in less than 2 weeks?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why no tank heater and done in less than 2 weeks?

I have patience

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I must be doing something wrong with an elk skull plate then. I didn't do a great job of fleshing it off a few years back, but now I've been soaking it in water and several water changes with Dawn over a couple of months and yesterday I took it to the car wash and blasted it for four minutes. I've already spent hours with a knife, needle nose pliers and a hemostat and there is still 10% of white smelly skin stuck to that skull plate. I do have a new appreciation for how tough elk hide is. No deer skull was ever this much work.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Windfall, Do not add dawn soap to the water. Just hot water with a tank heater keeping it at 85-90 degrees. It will be clean in 9-12 days. I don't scrape on them or anything like that after I pull them out. The maceration basically dissolves it all. Now that said, I don't put unskinned heads in the water. But I still think what you have will rot off.

Tank heaters are $13 delivered on Amazon.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for that 30338, but it was skinned back when it was fresh, but now I'm contending with layers of very thin skin layers that were under the hair hide skin. I've always boiled my deer skulls and I'm considering that with the elk now too. It is drying in the garage, but the effluvia funk is filling the garage and it enough to gag a maggot. Sweetness isn't about to let this thing into the house again even down in the man cave.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If you only have a garage, I'd start boiling that sucker immediately. No way I would macerate in my garage, its really bad.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup, it was even worse in the utility sink down the basement. It's a good thing that she likes me. Worse was boiling deer heads on the stove before she got home and before I bought a hot plate for outside boiling. She wasn't quite as nose blind as I was when she walked in the door. Wasn't real happy about me using her soup kettle either.

My other auto is a .45

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Windfall, you keep that up and another skull is going to be joining that one in the pot.....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Kurt, I’m shifting gears here. Tried the fish tank heater, didn’t work to well for me. stopped by tractor supply tonight, gonna give this a whirl. Supposed to get to 100 degrees so we’ll see.
[Linked Image]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Jud, the buck i killed in SD came out perfect in 10 days. I'll shoot you a pic tomorrow. Its all about the heat. Try two or three heaters in the bucket at the same time.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Judman, That should work. Going to be some cooked on rotted flesh on those elements but I like the idea of 100 degrees. CT, I am finding 8-10 days if I can keep water at 85 or above. Had a couple of sitka that took longer but they had dried a bit. Got a 1 year old skinned mule deer I am trying to save right now. Taking a long time. I think I ended up this year at 13 heads done. Been real happy with the process. If it gets cold, the multiple heater trick works well.

I think that 100 degree heater may be very nice for degreasing for a 3-7 day soak. Keep me posted on what luck you have with it. Got one degreasing now and 3 more rotting it up. Temps headed south so may take longer. Be glad to finish up the last of this years crop lol.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A few recent ones.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Few more.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Been seeing some issues with heads skinned by hunting buddies. I now recommend only removing the hides. Don't cut out eyes, don't mess with brain, I do prefer lower jaw removed. But some guys are beating up eye sockets and areas above teeth on cheeks when skinning and removing eyes. Just let that stuff rot out, way better on skull quality from what I am seeing.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jud, the buck i killed in SD came out perfect in 10 days. I'll shoot you a pic tomorrow. Its all about the heat. Try two or three heaters in the bucket at the same time.

Ya do that Clint!! Thank you

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Got er Kurt. I cape, cut jaw off and that's it too. I fight the cold, 35-45 til March/April.

Yours look great, really no comparison with the boil/beetle imo....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I take out the eyes and brains, but agree that its not necessary, just a little cleaner bucket when you're done. I think ya'll have talked me into not screwing with it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Just finished this one up
[Linked Image]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Turned out real nice there. I need to glue a few sheaths on mine but they just sit on the shelf so haven't gotten motivated yet.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Judd, Nice! Did the problem turn out being water temp or chlorine content? Was it the river water that worked?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Clint, I used river water, seems to work a lot better!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You guys reckon an elk skull that’s been sitting skinned since Halloween will still clean up okay with this method. Been busy and haven’t got going on it yet.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
TheKid,

Do you have a FIRE ANT mound near you?? = Just drop your skull on top of the mound & those critters will eat the skull clean for sure, regardless of how old that it is. - Fire Ants are NOT very particular about their dinner.

yours, tex

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I cleaned a deer head that had been skinned and sitting outside for a year this winter. It cleaned up fine but took a bit longer. I'd for sure put it in a tank of water with fish tank heaters turned to 90 and let it rot off. It will look great.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
You guys reckon an elk skull that’s been sitting skinned since Halloween will still clean up okay with this method. Been busy and haven’t got going on it yet.

Yes it will hydrate and rot off just fine.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 3,072 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.