Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I lived in Colorado until I was 10. Still got a soft spot for ol John Denver. He needed you on his shoulder to tell him not to go up in that plane!

Elkslayer53

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Ok now I understand. Maybe it wasn't the heater giving me the headache. Maybe it was the bottle of crown we drink. Man, am I relieved.

What a bunch of worriers. Better not get in your vehicle, you might get in a wreck. Better walk.... crap, can't do that , might get hit.

Common sense isn't so common anymore.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd just like to add, that if these heaters are in fact wiping out a camp full of Coloradoans every summer, I'd like them to be air dropped on Colorado.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
They would have to be just the heaters. FAA rules stipulate that no propane bottles be shipped like that.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
Use vented wood stoves in our wall tents.

Unvented will smoke you out...... But at least you don't have to worry about the entire camp being wiped out every year.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
They would have to be just the heaters. FAA rules stipulate that no propane bottles be shipped like that.

Valid point.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by 1minute
Use vented wood stoves in our wall tents.

Unvented will smoke you out...... But at least you don't have to worry about the entire camp being wiped out every year.

I tried one of those unvented wood stoves once.

Sharp really chewed my ass.

Clark

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do I need to cut a hole in my tent to vent my stove? damn don't want to wake up dead in Colorado!

PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have used the Buddy heaters for many years on dozens of overnite trips in my icehouse, camptrailers, and several styles of tents, up to 8500 ft elevation.
I always crack open a vent near or on the ceiling. Some, like a wall tent and dome tents, already have mesh or openings in their design.
When heat rises and exits the vents, fresh air is drawn in to replace it. The Big Buddy in my icehouse heats so well on the lowest setting I have to open the roof vent and crack open the door..
Never a problem, with fumes or condensation, and will continue on.
The only headaches, as previously noted, were undoubtedly from the unwise doses of adult beverages, most often noticed in the morning hours.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by irfubar
Do I need to cut a hole in my tent to vent my stove? damn don't want to wake up dead in Colorado!

Better to wake up in Colorado dead, than alive!

Clark

IC B3

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They are great heaters. I own a few. This is what I do.

Get a top notch high quality sleeping bag. They cost $ but you will be warm as toast in them. Keep an empty gatorade bottle near you at night. If you have to take a leak in the middle of the night when the tent is ice cold, do it in the bottle and get rid of it in the morning. About 30 min before you have to get up, fire up the Mr. Buddy heater. It takes no time to warm a tent. Even though it says it can be used indoors, I personally dont. But to warm up a tent right quick, it is an awesome heater. I have mine connected to a large 20lb tank that I keep OUTSIDE the tent. Mr. Buddy also makes extension hoses. I think mine is 12 feet and works great. A 20lb tank lasts forever.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
Worst case scenario, you die.

Follow your heart.

Dave.

PS-People here sit in their ice shack all winter with one running. Nobody dies but they sure get drunk.

I've done it many times but take some safety precautions when sleeping/passed out. 99% of the time you're good but occasionally we lose a few folks up here because of CO in their ice shack.
+100 on the drunk part. smile

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rooster7
These heaters are used in fish houses all the time with no troubles. I would advise having some sort of a fresh air inlet but they are pretty safe.

I use one in a tent-type fish house. The first time either I didn't get the ventilation right or the wind blew the flap closed. After a while I felt really comfortable and like a little nap would be nice. Then I realized what was going on and got fresh air. Not even close but enough to scare the crap out of me.

No way in hell would I run one while I was (intentionally) sleeping.

Since gone mostly to a Fish Trap and still use a little heater though at night a lantern provides plenty of heat.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
have used one for years in a tent during Elk, Moose camps. if you have doubts about the safety shutoff/low O2 sensor put it in a car and shut it up. it will go off well before O2 levels get dangerous. my wife was in the tent with me so i wanted to be sure.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
You may wake up dead, big risk, I never would go to sleep, be too worried.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are probably millions of ventless propane heaters in homes all across the USA

The Buddy heaters are essentially the exact same thing.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It says right on the box it is safe to use in a tent....but speculation is so much fun.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
They can be used if YOU do the right thing with venting.

If you don't do the venting it could take your eye out.

Thank You and good night. tired

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by plainsman456
They can be used if YOU do the right thing with venting.

If you don't do the venting it could take your eye out.

Thank You and good night. tired

Or shut off by it's self.

As usual.....the majority of replies are from those that don't own and haven't even used one.

I run one in my tent but I shut it off before I go to bed and turn it on before I get up

Probably unnecessary but I don't camp in real cold weather anymore and have a good sleeping bag (what kind of an idiot doesn't) so why take a chance on the shut off failing if you don't have to.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I used one last year in a canvas well vented tent for three nights. No problems whatsoever. It was cold, wet, and windy outside. Nice and cozy inside. Great product. Plenty of safety features as already mentioned. I consider myself kinda particular as to safety issues and I have no reservations about this heater.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

383 members (12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,497
Posts18,490,459
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.