Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Some of the old Mule Deer instruction links are now dead.
There are no instructions on the dynatek web site that I can find.
Looks like there used to be, but google Chrome browser now says they are not safe
https://store.dyna-tek.com/Bore-Coat-Article-s/1839.htm

It seems the printed instructions no longer match the old video.
Now the rifle bore is to cure 4 hours vertically with the muzzle set on an absorbent surface.
I coated 5 rifles tonight, using the new written instruction in my newly arrived package.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...d-alcohol-cleaner-1-oz-aluminum-canister

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In reading the instructions one thing is not clear to me:
Do you dip once and run the mop back and forth three times or dip each time you run the mop back and forth?
Under stand the front and back.

The video does not explicitly answer this question. Only shows how to do the back and forth motion.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tag

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Prwlr

Do you dip once and run the mop back and forth three times or dip each time you run the mop back and forth?

I don't have good answers. I am just noting the instructions for a first time user are not clear at this time. That was the first time I did it.
Application step #5 confused me for a while.
I am assuming we point the rifle down now, to keep the fluid from running into the action.
I am assuming we cure 4 hours pointed straight down for even and thin coating.
I am assuming if there is fluid pushed ahead and dripping when the mop comes out the muzzle, that the whole bore length got covered.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I dip it each time I run the mop back and forth.

I also take a rag and make sure I removed all the DBC from outside the barrel (i.e. near the muzzle). I didn't do that once and a bit of DBC hardened there and it was difficult to get it off.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

I also take a rag and make sure I removed all the DBC from outside the barrel (i.e. near the muzzle). I didn't do that once and a bit of DBC hardened there and it was difficult to get it off.

+1

I clamp my cleaned rifle in a padded vice, barrel straight down. I tape a shotgun hull to the muzzle to catch runoff product. I dip a loose fitting patch, use a slotted tip, run it back and forth as I advance it down the barrel, chamber to bore. I do that several times. I turn the gun upside down, muzzle up, block the chamber with a rag and repeat the process.

Prep is the secret. I use a Hawkeye borescope to make sure the bore is absolutely clean before starting the process.

I usually let DBC dry for a few days or until I get to the range. Sometimes it may be a week or two.

After a few shoot and clean cycles, cleaning seems to get even easier. I have premium barrels, Hart, Brux, Kreiger, etc. that just about don't foul even after a number of rounds. And, that's checking with the Hawkeye. I swap out powder residue with Wipe Out, take a peek with the scope and I'm good to go.

Great product.

DF

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Thanks for the new info Clark! I'm about to coat couple bores after elk season is over.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I clamp my cleaned rifle in a padded vice, barrel straight down. I tape a shotgun hull to the muzzle to catch runoff product. I dip a loose fitting patch, use a slotted tip, run it back and forth as I advance it down the barrel, chamber to bore. I do that several times. I turn the gun upside down, muzzle up, block the chamber with a rag and repeat the process.

Prep is the secret. I use a Hawkeye borescope to make sure the bore is absolutely clean before starting the process.

I usually let DBC dry for a few days or until I get to the range. Sometimes it may be a week or two.

After a few shoot and clean cycles, cleaning seems to get even easier. I have premium barrels, Hart, Brux, Kreiger, etc. that just about don't foul even after a number of rounds. And, that's checking with the Hawkeye. I swap out powder residue with Wipe Out, take a peek with the scope and I'm good to go.

Great product.

DF

Pretty good idea, especially for a coonass!!!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

I would like to see Mule Deer weigh in on this since he developed the original instructions. I've applied DBC both ways: dipping the mop each time I run it through the bore and dipping the mop only once at the beginning. Seems to work regardless, but I thought I had a little better results just dipping the mop once.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dip only once. No need to soak the bore. The objective is to just get it wet and work the coating into the pores of the steel.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Great product.

DF

shocked

Good thing I don't have sensitive feelings...

laugh

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Great product.

DF

shocked

laugh

DF

You guys crack me up!

Hey Dirtfarmer My dad used to say he was a "Yankee" since he was raised around Winnsboro La In Franklin Parish.

Last edited by 1911a1; 10/10/17.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 1911a1

Great product.

DF

shocked

laugh

DF

You guys crack me up!

Hey Dirtfarmer My dad used to day he was a "Yankee" since he was raised around Winnsboro La In Franklin Parish.

Real Cajuns would say that about anyone north of I-10... grin

Guess it's all relative...

DF

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
How do you coat a barrel that you can only access from the muzzle?

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Tag for future reference.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by cotis

Never done it but it would seem simple enough to plug up the chamber with some cotton patches and work from the muzzle.

And I'd carefully swab the chamber when I was done with the application and then let it cure with the muzzle down.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chamber an empty case and apply DBC from the muzzle end.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Like a muzzle loader?

I'd remove the breech plug.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Chamber an empty case and apply DBC from the muzzle end.

I like a rag better. DBC can find it's way around the case into the chamber. I don't want that stuff in my action. Even with a rag, I swab out the chamber, although I've heard it's not that big a problem.

DF

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Like a muzzle loader?

I'd remove the breech plug.

DF

Like a M1 Garand. Empty case sounds good, but a fail. Won't seal against the thin liquid that is DBC.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (6mmCreedmoor, artur, Backroads, 260Remguy, 6MMWASP, 10 invisible), 1,499 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,398
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.