Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

I have several magnum rifles, 7RM, 300WM, 300Wby, 7wsm, and sold several more because I had to have one in case I got a long shot. They all shoot good and have nice glass on them and except for shooting paper every now and then they never leave the safe.

30/30, 35 rem, 243, 260, etc get the nod now.

Seems to be where I am now, too. 260, 7mm-08, and 308 get carried a bunch. Funny, they all kill about the same...

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Expensive lesson? My first Winchester shotgun cost $63 in the box, out the door. I was young, it was a M50 Featherweight and I knew it was all the gun I'd ever need. Little did I realize it was just the beginning.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
One of my coworkers learned a hard lesson last weekend. He left a laser bore sighter in the end of his bore and fired the first shot. Brand new stainless savage 300wm barrel looked like a peeled banana.... Luckily he didn't get hurt.... I'm also glad I wasn't around....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Damn! You and your buddy were very lucky....Hb

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
High dollar scopes are a waist of money.....high dollar bino's are a necessity

Reloading is for recreation, not to save money

The meat you put on the table cost more than the cow or pig you could have bought from the farmer ☺

The next best fad in cartridges is money spent thinking your getting something that's never been done but was done 100 years ago

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Expensive lesson? Melvin Forbes makes one hell of a LW. And it was worth every penny. grin

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Trystan

The meat you put on the table cost more than the cow or pig you could have bought from the farmer ☺

The next best fad in cartridges is money spent thinking your getting something that's never been done but was done 100 years ago

Trystan

That pretty much sums it up!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Trystan

What do you consider a "high dollar scope?" With the quality and accuracy of some factory rifles you can get for $600 these days, for shooting any distance the scope should probably cost more than the rifle.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve learned that I always like a new rifle. It’s like getting a new girlfriend. Once the newness wears off, I want another new one.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Customs and semi-customs are almost always over priced and way over rated by many hobbyists and professionals.

Buy a Blaser, Tikka or Howa/Vanguard or something similar in 7mm, .30-06 or .300 with a good scope and steel Weaver style basis and quality rings, Talleys or Dual Dovetails. Then, get 500 pieces of brass, a few different powders and bullets. Work up an accurate load and wear the brass out hunting the world and shooting from field positions.

Alternatively, buy three new Ruger 77s in the cartridge of your choice and one scope. Mount the scope and switch it between rifles until you find the one that shoots. Sell the other two with an honest assessment of accuracy at a loss and keep the shooter and do the above.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 10/09/17.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Expensive lesson? My first Winchester shotgun cost $63 in the box, out the door. I was young, it was a M50 Featherweight .

I still have a M 50 - not ftwt - 30" & 26". I need a gun bearer!!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Put a good amount of money into your hunting clothes and boots, you could have the most costly rifle ever and be uncomfortable as heck in cheap boots and clothing.

Mjduct Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Customs and semi-customs are almost always over priced and way over rated by many hobbyists and professionals.

Buy a Blaser, Tikka or Howa/Vanguard or something similar in 7mm, .30-06 or .300 with a good scope and steel Weaver style basis and quality rings, Talleys or Dual Dovetails. Then, get 500 pieces of brass, a few different powders and bullets. Work up an accurate load and wear the brass out hunting the world and shooting from field positions.

Alternatively, buy three new Ruger 77s in the cartridge of your choice and one scope. Mount the scope and switch it between rifles until you find the one that shoots. Sell the other two with an honest assessment of accuracy at a loss and keep the shooter and do the above.

That last paragraph has really got me thinking...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
What I've learned (so far...):

* "Best" is located right next to the pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow.

* All my shooting "stuff" can easily be replaced. Time in the field with good friends is priceless

* Quality matters most in: boots, binocs, clothing, rifle/scope (in that order)

* Excellent accuracy can make me overlook a whole lotta schidt I don't like about a particular rifle

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

* All my shooting "stuff" can easily be replaced. Time in the field with good friends is priceless

* Quality matters most in: boots, binocs, clothing, rifle/scope (in that order)

* Excellent accuracy can make me overlook a whole lotta schidt I don't like about a particular rifle

FC

Very well said.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Mjduct
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

That last paragraph has really got me thinking...

An accurate M77 MKII or Hawkeye is a great thing. I have had about 50/50 odds or a little better regarding accuracy with the newer Rugers and the ones that have shot have done really well. Mine have seemed to be either 3" guns or 3/4" or better. I have tried to turn a 3" Ruger into a 3/4" Ruger but so far have been unsuccessful.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

FC

I like this, and, wholeheartedly agree.

Originally Posted by mjbgalt
I realize after chasing the loonyness that I could have stayed with those and not spent 20 grand.

You got off easy. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Trystan

Have to disagree on a couple points.

1. "High dollar scopes" have their place, especially for long range shooting. I used a $39 Burris 3-9x Sportview (that I probably paid too much for at the time) for 20+ years. It never failed me, although the optics were not very good. My most "expensive" scope is a used Leupold Vari-X III that has been refittted by Leupold with a vertical MOA knob and their 'Varmint Hunter' reticle for another $250 - so about $600 total. It sits on my favorite rifle, a 1989 Ruger M77 tanger that I bought in 2004 for $400. It came with Leupold M8-4x in the rings and I used $250 I got from selling a Savage .22-250 with a burned out barrel for $250. As i had purchased another M8-4x a month earlier for $100, one I am still using today, I figure the rifle cost me $50. ($400 - $250 - $100 = $50). I would love to have a scope with both vertical and horizontal knobs and great glass on my 6.5-06AI, which was purpose built for long range shooting.

2. Reloading can save you tons of money - or not. I got into shotgun reloading only to discover I was not shooting enough to justify the cost, time or space consumed in my reloading area. A case of shells at Wal-Mart before a dove hunt was a much better option so I sold all the reloading stuff and purchased a used stainless Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Mag. I currently reload for 15 rifle cartridges and 6 handgun cartridges. At any given time I have about $4,000 worth of reloaded ammo sitting on my shelves.

Replacing the reloaded ammo I have on the shelf plus all the brass, primers, powder, bullets and equipment I have would easily exceed $7,000 at today's prices - but I can easily reload ammo for about half the cost of factory ammo - often much less. Reloading has saved me many thousands of dollars over the years. (The other option, which was to shoot far less, was not acceptable.) Many of my handloads have no commercial equivalent - at any cost. Even when I only reloaded for my 7mm RM I was saving money.

Granted, reloading isn't for everyone.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/10/17. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
No such thing as building the perfect rifle. Your opinion and preference will change over time.

The ABSOLUTE MOST EXPENSIVE LESSON is continuing to read this site and have a bunch of "enablers" convince others that they need this or that. whistle

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
There are no cheap hookers. Just cheap penicillin.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1badf350, 219DW, 222Sako, 19rabbit52, 61 invisible), 17,677 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,897
Posts18,538,647
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.