-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Learnt something a year or two ago about cooking meat....after hearing/reading about pulled pork stuff here on the campfire.

Anyway, I took a pound and a half of gifted moose loin, sliced it into 1/4" slices, added it together with half a chopped sweet onion. Just threw them into a kettle with a tight lid and put it on the stove on low heat, just a slosh of olive oil together with the onion moisture to keep things from burning while the meat juices seeped into the pan. That meat juice seems to be the ticket- rather than added water- for keeping the meat moist instead of dry; that and keeping the heat low.

Then it was off to work for a few hours.

After 4 hours or so, I threw in a few whacks of green leek tops and a couple handfuls of whole fresh mushrooms (the better for the boys to sort out- since they don't like 'em). A nice slosh of good teriyaki went in around this time as well to simmer until the added stuff was done about right.

A boiling pot of water was ready for a package of pad thai (rice) noodles which were simmered for the requisite 2-3 minutes and all was thrown together thereafter.

I am happy to say that wild meat which is sometimes critiqued for being tough or dry really turns out well when steeped for a few hours in it's own juices on very low heat.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Klikitarik

I am happy to say that wild meat which is sometimes critiqued for being tough or dry really turns out well when steeped for a few hours in it's own juices on very low heat.

I pressure canned 6 cases recently. It's all about the broth . . .

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
We use a pressure cooker too for doing pulled BBQ with rib meat. Oh so goooooood.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ykrvak
We use a pressure cooker too for doing pulled BBQ with rib meat. Oh so goooooood.

Neck meat, rib meat, and most of the trimmings get chunked up or coarse ground and canned. Use it for chili, stews, sandwich meat, or straight out of the jar. grin

Most get just salt & pepper, some get other spices like Italian Seasoning, garlic, crushed red pepper, or Rosemary.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Crock Pot.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yep; very low on the stove top is as close to crockpot as one can get without having a crockpot. Low and slow is the way I mentioned, not to be confused with fast and hot which is what pressure-cooking does. And no ribs come close to well-layered fat moose ribs if you can get 'em before they do their fall diet. Hours in the oven at very low heat produces some really fine eats.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're on to something Mark

My FBI mil used to scare the crap outa me cooking moose meat low & slow. I'd think for chrisakes woman you're ruining the meat! You don't over cook game meat, blasphemy

Hmmm my ole Indian mil knows how to make good food, just shut up white boy and enjoy the spoils

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,815 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,981
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.