Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Ok, enough is enough. I've had it with the whiny farmers on this forum.

Here is the straw that broke this camel's back;
Originally Posted by wabigoon
...and give an explanation in language an old hick farmer can understand??
I have heard the same scatological extrusions from gunner500 and a couple other farmers here.

Let's cut the bovine excrement and put an end to this farce.

If you're a farmer you're a veterinarian, a medic, a firefighter, an accountant, a salesman, a mechanic, a geologist, a pesticide expert, a heavy equipment operator, a weather forecaster, an animal behavior expert, a chemist, a metallurgist, a welder, plumber, electrician, lumberjack, carpenter, an agronomist, and a CAT SKINNER.

You can use hand tools and power tools, you can estimate weights and measures by eyeballing things, you know where to find the best prices for both buying and selling.

You know who to call when you run into something you are not equipped to handle, you are an expert in physics and geometry when trying to get a tractor unstuck or drop a tree without taking out a fence or power-line.

You can remain calm around spooked livestock, you can solve problems with the tools and parts you have around and not buy everything new, you know every inch of your place and what is where, and you can spot a sick critter or diseased plants from the seat of your truck at 45mph while talking on the phone and drinking coffee without wearing it.

You use GPS, cellphones, computers, and can keep up with maintenance schedules for every piece of equipment you use.

You know the value of life and the finality of death. You celebrate new life, be it sprouting plants or a newborn critter, and you share the fruits of your labors generously.

So, cut out the whining about "just being a simple farmer'!

Rant off.

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 10/15/17.

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HEAR, HEAR!!!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
OK Ed, what about us dumazz cowboys?
Don't tell me - I'd be offended! smile

(Bein's bein' a "cowboy" seems to be a very bad thing, anymore)

Last edited by mark shubert; 10/14/17.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I come from farming, homesteading, sheep-herding stock. I have an IQ of 149. Yeah, stupid-ass farmers, way back in my line.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mark shubert
OK Ed, what about us dumazz cowboys?
Don't tell me - I'd be offended! smile

(Bein's bein' a "cowboy" seems to be a very bad thing, anymore)

Ranchers are just farmers who raise livestock and not plants. You'll get no mercy from me, either, ya dumbass cowboy!!

Quit yer whinin'!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You left out bullshït artist, no pun intended.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I come from farming, homesteading, sheep-herding stock. I have an IQ of 149. Yeah, stupid-ass farmers, way back in my line.

See!?!? I got a witness!

Ed

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kingston
You left out bullshït artist, no pun intended.

That's part of their nature, not a learned skill, so I left it out.

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dumazz cowboys are lazy and do not know crap. The horse has all the brains and does all the work. But I did not say that.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 10/14/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fair enough.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

See!?!? I got a witness!

Ed

Yup, I can ver-E-fy, Ed.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Dumazz cowboys are lazy and do not know crap. The horse has all the brains and does all the work. But I did not say that.

I ride a horse 'cause ONE of this team gots ta have some sense!

I've also got mucho experience with male bovine excrement - therefore AM a Bullsh!t artist!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I'm a forester and trees are basically like corn but with a really long growing season. Anti-farm advocates are every bit as rabid and weird (and dangerous) as anti-gunners and this self-perpetuating stereotype of the simple hick farmer/rancher/whatever just plays into their hands trying to paint us as being unfit to reasonably utilize the land without destroying the universe.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Why Ed, I am hurt, sniff, sniff. Before I saw it was you that started this thread, I was going to tell the poster to, try farming for 20, 30, 40, 50 years, and check back. As we are good friends. I won't. Carry on!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Not your typical "call out" thread . . . shocked

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
yes, Muskeg, our good friend is not a nasty sort.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
In my experience, the difference between a farmer and a rancher is akin to the difference between a doctor and a lawyer.

In general, I like lawyers but doctors tend to be an odd lot. I like ranchers, farmers tend to be an odd lot.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

Yup, and they're physically out of shape 'cause it doesn't require any effort to ride that smart horse over a meadow, much less rough terrain, throw a loop, tack up, clean tack, rub down a horse, clean their feet, saddle up and dismount.

They also can sleep in the saddle cause they don't have to keep an eye out for problems, watch for sidehills, uphills or downhills, gopher or badger holes, pay attention to the horses' gait and where his ears are pointed, be concerned about a barn sour or herd-bound horse, ornery cows, rattlesnakes, or sudden changes in the weather.

They don't have to know about the signs of colic, lameness, or respiratory problems. They don't have to be concerned about livestock parasites, feed and water requirements, skin problems or hoof problems.

That's just the short list. I'm too tired to list 'em all, but you get the idea...darned worthless, lazy, good fer nuthin', know nuthin' cowboys... ought-ta be a law...

Ed

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Nathan_McGhee
I'm a forester and trees are basically like corn but with a really long growing season. Anti-farm advocates are every bit as rabid and weird (and dangerous) as anti-gunners and this self-perpetuating stereotype of the simple hick farmer/rancher/whatever just plays into their hands trying to paint us as being unfit to reasonably utilize the land without destroying the universe.

Aren't they usually the same people?

NYH1.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the word 'meadow'.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (6mmCreedmoor, 007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,473 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.