Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by KyWindageII
That time is long gone. Embrace the future and learn!

History has proved repeatedly that when civilizations become immoral they crumble and collapse as it all unravels. The chaos in other country's that are one step ahead of us on the immoral chain should be a big indicator but those with there heads in the sand generally never see it that way. A wise man once said realism is often misinterpreted as pessimism. And those who misinterpret it with a positive outlook are positive....positively wrong!

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember when people were actually ashamed to take welfare. Now, it's an entitlement.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i recall when the farm tax could hardly be paid. politicians were used to influence local judge to keep a neighbor out of the chain-gang. nearly everybody was poor, some more than others. dirt roads with no gravel to make them travelable in the winter. in my lock-step rural Baptist community, ya did right or got shunned. and the baptist preachers and the boot-leggers weren't about to allow legal alcohol sales.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KyWindageII
Do you not remember duck and cover when we were going to survive nuclear war by hiding under our school desks?

When black folks couldn’t eat in the same restaurants, could only sit in the balcony in theaters and were lynched if they got too uppity?

When girls who got into “trouble” were sent away for a year, came back much changed and sad? No one talked about what happened but everybody knew...

I am 70 years old but don’t want to live in a mythical romantic past that never existed. I want to live with my kids and grandkids in a dynamic, exciting future that will be and is amazing.

History is a good teacher. Blacks didn't give a trouble when they weren't allowed to get "uppity"....and I'm not supporting anyone getting lynched, just saying that the pendulum has swung too far to the other side now.

When girls "got in trouble", and had to have the baby, instead of running down to the abortion clinic and getting it took care of, then a valuable lesson was learned by all involved......."you pay when you play." That kept a lot of young folks back then from "playing". Now days, if they aren't "playing" by the time they're in high school, their peers think something is wrong with them.

I'm 67, and I want my grandkids to experience what I did growing up.....a world in which most people attended church, stayed married, married someone of their race and background, and didn't have half a dozen abortions by the time they were 20.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I am so getting a dinosaur when history repeats.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Prospero's vision is good enough for me.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Liberal progressivism = decay of moral values. Its become a cottage industry to be offended by anything and everything.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Well, I can remember when it was "right" for me. I could shoulder my .22 rifle, walk through town, Pop. of 3K in the U.P. of Mich. three miles to a farm and hunt woodchucks. No one ever said a thing. I also remember when each home had both Mom and Dad living in it, and Dad was the Boss. Most all Dads were WWll Vets. All Dads worked. I knew the rules and abided by them...trouble outside home was even bigger trouble when I got home.
I don`t know if it was a "right" time for my parents, as I can remember my Mom crying at the kitchen table wondering how she was going to pay the food bill for the 6 of us. When I went into the Service in 62 they still owed the store close to $600.
I also remember the values of hard work, honesty, and responsibility..seems like these arn`t "right" amymore.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Never been a time when everything was "right."
But they were certainly a lot better in many ways.
I was born in the middle of the Depression and spent my grade school years during the War.
Some things were worse.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Bow, yes.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It started when Medeline Murray O"Hare got school prayer banned. When I was in school we recited the Lord's Prayer every day, everyone stood and pledged allegiance to the flag. There was a dress code that not only included attire but also getting a hair cut (long hair was not allowed). Slowly these things went away, disipline suffered as decorum and respect fell by the wayside. The dam burst when political correctness became the order of the day, everyone protested whatever they felt offended them and nearly always got their way no matter if they were in the minority. The majority rules never happens anymore neither does going along to get along.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Things ain't changed all that much, we just know about more now with 24 hour news and the internet. Much more fake news making us think things are worse than they are. There is just as much fake news from the right as the left. Virtually every generation has been convinced things were worse than before. Every politician since the beginning has been accused of corruption. Some were, some weren't, but their critics made their point known and muddied the waters.

Girls have been getting pregnant before marriage forever and having abortions long before they were legal. As long as birth and marriage records have been accurately kept, and prior to effective contraception, almost half of girls 1st born children were born less than 9 months after marriage. Parents have been killing their own unwanted children outright, or through neglect forever. Abortions and teen pregnancy are at an all time low, because kids are now using birth control.

People have been murdering and robbing others forever. It was a lot easier to get away with it or make it look like an accident or natural death years ago so much went unreported. Drug and alcohol abuse levels are no different, and maybe lower than at many other times. There were lots of doped up veterans after the Civil War on morphine. Cocaine and many other drugs were legal and popular until the early 20th century.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by blanket
You went into the military to protect your country, you had faith in the politicians you elected, you could take your vehicle to the mechanic without taking up the tailpipe, the newspapers and the reporters on TV reported the news. not their take and embellishment on it, men and women got married, people went to church on Sunday, Political correctness was a phrase you never heard, people went to work and earned their living, kids in school answered to their father if they screwed up. Where did it go wrong???

I don't think world ever existed. That was a "Leave it to Beaver" TV delusion / propaganda we were supposed to buy into ... and many did. The difference in older times was that most the deviations from the image stayed behind closed doors, NOT what actually happened behind those doors. Human nature does not change. What's changed is we got jaded and started seeing what was there to see all along.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunswizard
It started when Medeline Murray O"Hare got school prayer banned. When I was in school we recited the Lord's Prayer every day, everyone stood and pledged allegiance to the flag. There was a dress code that not only included attire but also getting a hair cut (long hair was not allowed). Slowly these things went away, disipline suffered as decorum and respect fell by the wayside. The dam burst when political correctness became the order of the day, everyone protested whatever they felt offended them and nearly always got their way no matter if they were in the minority. The majority rules never happens anymore neither does going along to get along.

I'm going with this one..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
It started when Medeline Murray O"Hare got school prayer banned.

Prayer was never banned in schools. This is one of the big lies often repeated. Anyone who wants to go into a school and pray can, and has always been able to do so. The difference is that you can no longer force others to participate if they do not want to do so. As a Christian I support this position. I can pray anytime I wish. I can get together with other Christians including students or teachers and pray at any school. But not every student in our schools are Christian. If I can force non-Christians to recite a Christian prayer, then those of other faiths will argue, and win, that they can force Christians to recite prayers from their religion. It ain't that hard to get together as Christians and say a prayer and let others do as they choose. Unlike Islam, the Christian Bible has never said that we should force others to accept our religion. We lay it out there. Others can choose to accept or reject.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sure it was. Even then one could choose not to, albeit at your own "risk" as it were. The prayer itself was (is) not really the issue or even relevant, it was the STRUCTURE, prayer, the pledge, a dress code, discipline gave to all of us as kids.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by T_O_M
You went into the military to protect your country, you had faith in the politicians you elected, you could take your vehicle to the mechanic without taking up the tailpipe, the newspapers and the reporters on TV reported the news. not their take and embellishment on it, men and women got married, people went to church on Sunday, Political correctness was a phrase you never heard, people went to work and earned their living, kids in school answered to their father if they screwed up. Where did it go wrong???

I don't think world ever existed. That was a "Leave it to Beaver" TV delusion / propaganda we were supposed to buy into ... and many did. The difference in older times was that most the deviations from the image stayed behind closed doors, NOT what actually happened behind those doors. Human nature does not change. What's changed is we got jaded and started seeing what was there to see all along.

Tom

Ignorance was bliss I suppose.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Country was never right, but we sure have our problems now.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by PitkinCO
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Tom

Ignorance was bliss I suppose.

Definitely my impression. I had an unusual perspective I guess. I grew up in a very small community with almost no kids so when I was 8-10, the people I was around were 75 to 90, many born in the later 1880s. The 1890s, when they grew up, were as real to me as the 1950s and early 1960s that I barely missed. They said the same things about "kids" that old fogeys have always said about the generation or two following them, the only difference was they did it with fewer cuss words. The rolled eyes were the same, the dismay was the same.

There were a whole lot of first babies that looked awfully healthy for being 2 months premature and, of course, conceived on wedding night. The moms could not have been pregnant, right? That wouldn't be the fantasy world of "Leave it to Beaver". 1920s .. flappers, etc ... nothing promiscuous going on there. Really, premarital and extramarital sex were invented in the 1960s. Didn't you know? Laudanum .. oh, no, nobody ever abused THAT. Much. Abuse of doctor-prescribed medicines is a brand new thing, don't you remember?

I think the people who are overly enamored with that utopian past were simply too young at the time to have been fully aware of all that was going on. You can drive back but you can never go home. It never was the thing you remember it being now.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I am so getting a dinosaur when history repeats.

Yup, one of those meat guzzling T-rex models.......Can you imagine the green house gases out of that one.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1minute, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,558
Posts18,473,095
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.