-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just a little correction Bushcraft. Hunting as described by the Webster dictionary "Seeking game". As soon as you go out the door of your house with rifle in hand you are actually hunting by definition. There are fellas that can knock them down effectively at long range and there are morons that can't hit a School bus at 100 yards. The hunters that are true sportsman - know what they can and can't do, they don't intentionally wound.

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Just a little correction Bushcraft. Hunting as described by the Webster dictionary "Seeking game". As soon as you go out the door of your house with rifle in hand you are actually hunting by definition. There are fellas that can knock them down effectively at long range and there are morons that can't hit a School bus at 100 yards. The hunters that are true sportsman - know what they can and can't do, they don't intentionally wound.

There is also the fact that most people still have to get out in the woods which involves all the hunting skills to get in to position to make the long shot, in other words if you go into the woods up wind of an animal I don't care how far away it is you will not see it, let alone get a shot. So yes it is hunting.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You should try getting out a little more ther angel. The majority of elk and deer could give a [bleep] about a human thats over 500 yards away. And then the ones that do,have usually been fired on a couple dozen times prior.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Deer here are not shot at much. IE I might shoot one a year. They travel all over, unexpected and they are up and down my range so I know what distances are. I know for sure at 400-450 where they cross if the wind is wrong they know you are there. For sure.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sledder,

so what makes you think they care what bullet hits them then?

Animals react poorly to bullets. Match bullets are constructed very similar and in some cases better than the "hunting" bullets...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
still gonna keep hiding behind that keyboard or are ya gonna tell me who ya are...
we can even meet at the complex and throw some lead at the 550 yard steel plate

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the offer there ricky. You and Porter should go together. You could baffle each other with bullshIt and maybe even fire a few rounds.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Sledder,

so what makes you think they care what bullet hits them then?

Animals react poorly to bullets. Match bullets are constructed very similar and in some cases better than the "hunting" bullets...

Well ricky animals don't care what bullet hits them. You the hunter should care about what bullet you're using and use a hunting bullet. Not some match bullet designed for punching a sheet of paper.

Yes ricky match bullets are similar to hunting bullets in that they are made out of copper and lead and travel down the barrel when fired.. A honda accord is similar to a ford Super Duty also. In that it has a wheel in each corner and a steering wheel. Are you going to pull a six place horse trailer with an accord.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by sledder
The majority of elk and deer could give a [bleep] about a human thats over 500 yards away.

sledder my answer to your whining my freezer is full of venison, I get in the woods as often as I need to and, as far as the quote in this post goes my answer is, I guess they better start giving a [bleep]!

Match grade bullets are better for hunting because they are inherently more accurate do to the fact that they are more carefully weighed and use higher tolerances than a plain hunting round. Other than what I just wrote a .224 DIA. HP is no different than a .224 DIA. MG. Hp. So better grade of ammo does not mean that it isn't a hunting round.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
sledder,

Tell that to Walt Berger! grin I shoot VLD's

Last edited by elkhunter76; 02/04/07.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WyoWhisper,

Come on down and sling a few at the 600 yd target with me! We even have some 800 yd targets to shoot! grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
RE match bullets. Buddy went with me this weekend. Owner insisted he should shoot a doe too, was just along for the 500+ mile round trip for the ride basically. He shot a doe early on, about 125 yards or so, rib shot, coming out the front shoulder. Ran a bit as most deer usually do. About a 100 pound dressed doe. Was loaned a rifle, 308 PSS. Bullet went in, took the heart, exit about silver dollar sized. Great performance. Then back at camp I noticed the box of ammo. Fed gold metal match, 168 bthp. Nice performance for sure. Second animal I've seen go down with same. Owner is an ex highpower shooter. Many deer have gone down to this 308 in south TX and its all he uses anymore. FWIW.

Me, I stuck to 640 grain projectile and 2 of the 6mm 85tsx which did their usual bang up job. Not impressed with the 50 ball round though.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you shooting the 50BMG now Rost?

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Have a play toy..... notice distances shot... nothing even close to long, though I'd have stretched it if I had too...
Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Elkhunter,
Are you in Cody?

Sledder,

My name "ricky" as you put it, yeah, kids name and one my Grandmother used to call me ( rest her soul ). However, you are the one who's acting as a child. Kinda what they call a "keyboard rambo" or something like that. Easy to hide behind the 'puter, but too much a pussy to actually identify yourself.
Easy to see you're like so many older people who refuse to believe there is any better way to do anything, other than your way.
Your analogy doesn't hold water as bullets arn't pulling anything. However if you drive each vehicle into a brick wall both will punch a hole in it and make it crumble.
It's ok though I didn't expect anything logical from you.

John, he's a good guy, builds a nice rifle and I have launched lead with him a few times at the Complex. Hell he's even shot a rifle or 2 of mine at the plates out to 1145 yards.
Once again, I am one step ahead of you.
Keep trying there buddy. You need to really read up and bring yourself up to speed if you gonna stay in this debate. Your knowledge of LRH and what you think you know is severely outdated. Better turn on your PC earlier and do some more research. The day starts be for Regis and Kelly ya know...

Last edited by WyoWhisper; 02/06/07.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh yeah, forgot all about the wind issue. Was out in a field that had 800 yards access and a "trail" about 500-600 out there, were 100 yard power poles down to a well to verify my rangefinder... Deer crossed basically all morning at the 560 yard distance, and each one stopped and sniffed the air hard when directly downwind. Did not spook, but twas the only time they all sniffed...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From what I understand match bullets do not have impact performance of your average hunting bullet. (Correct me if I am wrong since I have never personally shot an animal with a match bullet)

Would a better analogy be shooting my field tips out of my bow instead of broadheads? I am much more accurate with field tips no matter the range, but broadheads of a required diameter are used to do damage as they pass into/through the animal.
I am quite certain that if I shot a deer in the heart with a field tip it would be fatal, but yet broadheads are required.

If you do not agree with this analogy, I will be more than happy to listen to a reasonable response.

I do not want to get into any of the pissin' matches. I am just once again trying to expand my knowledge.

Shoot Strait....Penetrate Deep.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cacciatore

"From what I understand match bullets do not have impact performance of your average hunting bullet. "

"Would a better analogy be shooting my field tips out of my bow instead of broadheads?"

The analogy you offer would be considerably incorrect in my opinion.

The below picture contains an image of a recovered Match Bullet alongside an unfired version of that same bullet.

If your field-tip arrow could somehow transform into a broadhead while passing through the animal the analogy could be correct.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Cacciatore
From what I understand match bullets do not have impact performance of your average hunting bullet. (Correct me if I am wrong since I have never personally shot an animal with a match bullet)

It's that expansion is not a design requirment, is why match bullets are "legal" in warfare (sniping).
It's not that they don't expand well, just simply that expansion is not a design requirment.
IIRC the core is actualy softer, IE pure lead vs a alloy, so they actualy tend to expand more (than a "hunting" bullet) at a given velocity or to expand as much at a lower velocity (2 ways of saying the same thing)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DaveKing,
Fair enough. I guess I misunderstood the post a few before you showed this picture earlier. It seemed that POP was showing the matchkings all tore up from impact.
I have no problem with you all using them if you feel confident in them. From the pic that you showed, it does the job...but there is an inconsistency between your pic and POP's. I don't know if I am 100% confident in newsprint, but I think it is a close as you can get without getting bloody.
In my opinion, if it aint broke don't fix it, but if there is a concern of a failure, then all efforts should be taken to prevent it.
Keep knockin' em down.

Shoot Strait....Penetrate Deep.
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (204guy, 219DW, 12344mag, 163bc, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 42 invisible), 2,106 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,224
Posts18,504,276
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.