Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
There are a few things I'd like to clear up here. First of all, alcohol is not physically addicting. Neither, as far as we know, is weed. But they are emotionally addicting. Which for all practical purposes is just as bad to those who are inclined to abuse them. Tobacco, BTW, is not only physically addicting, but the worst of all, including the street drugs.
Second, all mind altering substances, that includes addicting pain meds, do alter ones attitudes and emotional makeup. Long term use literally alters one's out look and attitude(s) towards life in general. The more they are used, the worse it gets.
The relationship between crime and excessive use of drugs, including pot or alcohol is beyond question. Over 80% of all auto accidents involve drinking or drug use. Over 80% of the robberies are committed by people on something, etc. The list goes on and on.
Last of all, when comparing drugs to crime rates keep in find that crime rates are what the law enforcement officials say it is. Nobody audits crime stats..... So it depends on how honest the officials are.
90% of the crime we have falls into three general types. Drug crime, black crime and gang crime.
Legalizing pot eliminates the problems ? Criminal gangs don't deal in alcoholic beverages because they are legal ? Sure they do. They can sell in cheaper to retailers because they don't pay the high taxes on such things. Boot legging isn't what it once was, but it still goes on a lot more than many realize. E

Well said.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB4

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
There are a few things I'd like to clear up here. First of all, alcohol is not physically addicting.

Whaaat ? lol

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
There are a few things I'd like to clear up here. First of all, alcohol is not physically addicting.

Whaaat ? lol

Yep. Tell that to the alky with the shakes.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Do you know the difference between the two ? Again, for all practical purposes, there is no difference to those who become addicted. Emotional addiction is just as tough to shake as physical addiction. I know because I've been helping people break their addictions to drugs and alcohol for over 16 years now. BTW, over 90% of those addicted to mind altering chemicals are dually addicted to both drugs and alcohol. E

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Then you know that a severe alcoholic who is denied alcohol and in withdrawal can die.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Do you know the difference between the two ? Again, for all practical purposes, there is no difference to those who become addicted. Emotional addiction is just as tough to shake as physical addiction. I know because I've been helping people break their addictions to drugs and alcohol for over 16 years now. BTW, over 90% of those addicted to mind altering chemicals are dually addicted to both drugs and alcohol. E

If alcohol isn't addictive then why does a severe alcoholic go into DT's without it? It's a physical need,not just emotional.

There may be a few bootleggers still around but you won't find the local pushers selling pints on the street corner. They will be dealing in a more profitable commodity. The gangs in this country aren't making their money on alcohol.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

The rise in craft beer sales has declined significantly the last two years. There's a prediction of a big shake out if the trend continues. Why? The beer industry says it is marijuana. This is not the government talking, it's not AG Sessions making claims, it is private industry. It seems beer drinkers are also locoweed users, and as locoweed has become legal and/or easier to acquire, beer drinkers are smoking more and drinking less.

As one alleged health expert in Denver is saying, if marijuana is a "gateway" drug to more potent narcotics, beer is the "gateway" drug to marijuana.

So all of you beer drinkers out there are apparently a short step from a life of drug addiction and crime..........

The bottom line is a drug is a drug.

We should've never repealed Prohibition.

And when I read and hear the righteous advocate criminalizing ALL drugs--tobacco, alcohol, locoweed, and narcotics--maybe even prescription opioids--then they'll have some credibility.

Until then, they are just picking and choosing among cultural desires.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
DT's are brought on by damage to the brain over a long and heavy use of alcohol. If an alcoholic stops drinking after years of heavy use, he is in great danger of dying from this damage. He does not have to be to the point of suffering from the DT's, BTW. The withdrawal symptoms for alcohol are no where near the same as those for some one addicted the heroin for instance. But they are far more dangerous. Those of us who help alcoholics, believe it is the most dangerous substance to get off of. I know a guy who had a roommate when he was living at a treatment facility who died after he had stopped for five months. This why when an alcoholic checks into detox facility, the better ones monitor his condition by checking his vitals every two hours around the clock. E

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
There is much truth in what you say. I wish I had a nickel for every addict I've tried to help who went "back out," as we say, on a beer. E

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i've heard on our local "fake news" channel that texting and driving is more dangerous and causes more car accidents than alcohol & drugs.

but that doesn't mean i condone alcohol nor drugs as a way to escape the real world.

what we're talking about are plant derived chemical substances (and a world full of synthetics), including sugar, caffeine, nicotene, opium, the one derived from s america, oh, cocaine, how could i forget. and of course chocolate, alcohol & mary jane derivatives.

it's not a simple issue, what with us humans being humans. how do the Ruskies deal with vodka? and on and on.

if we only had in our possession a higher quality level of human beings, our problems would be less than they currently are.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

You can be emotionally addicted to anything.

The human body can absolutely become physically addicted to alcohol. To say otherwise is flat stupid.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Then you know that a severe alcoholic who is denied alcohol and in withdrawal can die.

It appears not smile

Do you know the difference between the two ? Again, for all practical purposes, there is no difference to those who become addicted. Emotional addiction is just as tough to shake as physical addiction.

Nobody said emotional addiction wasn't a problem, but to state "no physical addiction from alcohol" is the dumbest statement of the year. Every addiction center and doctor in America would disagree, and I've dealt/seen enough addiction in my life to know you're full of chiit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd bet a lot of your "crime and problems" are do to the fact that you legalized the grows to begin with.
The 3000+ illegal grows you already had don't like the competition.

Sean
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by calikooknic
I'd bet a lot of your "crime and problems" are do to the fact that you legalized the grows to begin with.

that's an exceedingly interesting comment on so many levels.

drug dealers don't like competition. at least around here they don't. a lot of heists, killings, robberies, etc. occur because of it. turf wars.. they have territories and they defend them fiercely, to not do so would cause their demise as a successful, for profit orgn. they have families to feed, cars to buy, material goods to wear. gold & silver are an important part of the their everyday reprotorie, at least around here. the legals are actually taking food from the mouths of babes, due to their everyday dealings. that don't sit well with the gangs/drug purveyors, etc. this is a free market place, and it's being disrupted by the legal crew.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Anyone that says alcohol isn’t physically addictive really doesn’t have a clue what they’re talking about. For hardcore alcoholics alcohol is as necessary as air and less necessary than water. Watching an alcoholic detox will remove any doubt as to its physically addictive properties. The physical pain of detox, the delirium tremors and other involuntary muscle spasms will remove any doubt as to how physically addictive alcohol truly is. People die from alcohol detox and that’s a direct result of the physically addictive properties of alcohol. Detox from any other drug, save maybe heroin, is nothing compared to detox from alcohol.

If individual productivity was a baseline requirement for the social acceptance of recreational drugs then cocaine would have been legalized long ago. The legalization of marijuana here has removed the stigma and as a result there’s a lot of older retired people that take advantage of the medicinal properties of pot. The local “Bud Hut” has vanpools of elderly that stop in for their tea, bud, edibles and lotions. My conversations with some of the older folks that indulge has been eye opening. The relief they get in many cases has allowed them to drop certain meds while getting better results with less side effects. Regulating any substance based upon the extremes ignores all logic and punishes the majority unnecessarily.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by calikooknic

Amen to that! With 75% of the land in this county owned by either the Forest Service, BLM or the State of Oregon...
This county was very high on the list of the amount of Marijuana destroyed annually, being grown on governmental
owned property...

When it was put on the ballot, the Sheriff's and County Attorney Associations opposed its legalization...
and contributed roughly $500K to advertise against its legalization. The Hemp Industry and "Interests" outside
the state spent over $7.5 million on advertisement to legalize it.... who do you think is going to win that contest
regardless of what the subject is... its the amount of money spent.

States like Oregon and Colorado for example.....remind me of Canada during our prohibition in the 1920s...
Of course it is well known the amount of Booze ran across the border from Canada... you see it in almost ever
movie about Gangsters in the 20s and 30s.....What few people know is that Canada, also had prohibition during the
same period. However the Canadian Government Authorized the manufacture of alcohol as long as it was not
distributed in Canada. The Canadian Government made millions from importing it across the border into the USA.
Its how Seagrams got its start.

Oregon is doing the exact same thing, by most of what is grown locally in this county, going outside the state.
The News has reported large busts in places as far as Miami and Boston, that came from here.

Yet Jeff Sessions sent a letter to the Governor of Oregon, Kate Brown inquiring about this and what the state
was doing to prevent the product leaving the State. Her and Senator Jeff Merkley both "ASSURED" the Justice
Dept that the State of Oregon was making sure the product wasn't leaving the state, and it was being consumed
locally. Don't know if that made the news nationally or not.. certainly made the local talk radio circuit within Oregon.

Anyone involved in the industry in this county, even the local people who just work at these grows for $20
an hour just to trim the plants, can tell you that 85 to 90% of what is grown in Josephine County is going
out of state. Part of their job is to help load the vehicles... its not being done at 3 in the morning with a tight
group of people....

But as Cal pointed out... its in competition with the illegal grows that were here before the state legalized it.

On a trip back home to Oregon when I was doing a trip to the East Coast back in 2012, I was crossing Utah and
out off of I 80 half way between Salt Lake and the Nevada border, their was some scruffy looking guy broke down
off the hwy in a ratty look Dodge Mini Van with Oklahoma Plates.... he has some gal with him also..

he has a gas can and said he ran out of gas, and could I give him a ride back to where he could get some fuel..
like 40 miles away or so....ain't much on I 80 in that stretch but nothingness... he left his GF and the dog to 'guard the min
van'....

So we are talking as we drive along, and he asks where I'm from.. I tell him Grants Pass OR...
Then he tells me how he just came from Grants Pass... he and his GF make 3 to 4 trips a month
from Grants Pass to Oklahoma City.... I didn't have to ask what that was all about.

So yeah, Cal is right... its not like this stuff wasn't going on before legalization.

Its just increased a thousand fold.. its no longer being grown out in the woods on Federal Land...
People are coming in with lots of money and buying property with Water available, and jacking
the pricing thru the roof for what the local economy can afford...

and even tho there is suppose to be a limit on how much can be grown on a 'legal grow'
which is a small number of plants, in ratio to the size of grows you see everywhere in the local area.

There is only a small part of what is supposedly "legal", actually following the law...

both in size of the grows, along with where the finish product is going...

I personally hope the Feds start enforcing it being against Federal law.. at least the part
of it crossing state lines to where it isn't legal....

But I maintain, the real money on all of this is going into Governmental Officials pockets,
and the DemocRATic Party's Coffers....thru corruption....

Obama and the Clintons have made corruption an "In Thing" to do for Governmental Officials,
Translating that it is OK to do so, where it was illegal before hand...

They haven't increased corruption so much, as they have legitimized it....

DemocRATS have nothing on South American Dictatorships when it comes to Corruption...
Latin America is second string....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Then you proved my point, it's not the weed it's the corruption of government and the money they make. Choices were made/voted to accept the downfall of legal grows, and in the end you're shipping it out to the "illegal" states to infiltrate our communities.

Many states have voted down legislation to legalize weed, even for medical purposes. But when the flood gates are opened to the Monsanto's and Phillip Morris's of the world, their coffers are much bigger than anybody that chooses to fight them. Many of the Medical states have limited legal vendors to 2 or 4 certified growers, that limits or eliminates sales out of state...of course doesn't make the local growers happy.

You reap what you sow

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i mean no disrespect, but the DEA, feds, narcs, whomever they are can't even keep the cartels from mexico & central america from shipping stuff from there to points further north through phoenix, dallas, atlanta, and up the east coast to new york, boston, etc.

why penalize legitimate american growers while the cartels run wild??? i'm serious, shouldn't we begin enforcing the border laws first? or do they have a free pass?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Doc_Paul
Middlefork, I have little sympathy for the addict and absolutely none for the dealer. But you have to ask yourself why are so many people doing drugs in the first place?
Does incarcerating people arrested for possession really help the problem or just pack the jails? How do we as a society teach people they CAN take control of their circumstances? Alternatively, how does a society teach people their actions DO carry consequences?

I think the combination of personal responsibility and the risk of dire consequences hold the key.

Heck, I'm just the veterinarian, not a sociologist.

People do drugs because they have too much free time. They're not working 10-12 hours per day to bring in the harvest or butcher the cow. Living is easy, even for the poor in this country.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
probably all that pharmseller posts is true enough. a lot of folks are desperate. they become hooked on drugs, then they become even more desperate.

desperation rules in both the urban & rural areas for a lot of folks, whether young, middle aged or old.

i think i'll take a break, and see what the newest drug is being advertised on TV.

my doctor will be curious as to what i can recommend to her for trial.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,187 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,931
Posts18,479,931
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.