Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Well, I just went to order yet another Leupold FX-II 4x33 riflescope for a new Contender barrel I just had picked up. Low and behold, I can't find one anywhere. Every site either lists them as discontinued, or now only offers the matte finished variety. Go figure. I swear every time I like something, it's discontinued the following day. They aren't being listed on the Leupold website as discontinued yet (model #58530,) but I'm sure they will be soon. Besides, I'm not paying full retail either.

Leupold seemed to be the only scope manufacturer who still made a simple, GLOSS, 4x riflescope without 1000 yard range compensating illuminated reticles, laser range finders, target turrets, and external focus adjustments. I just wanted a gloss, fixed power riflescope to match the finish of my gloss barrel, but apparently I'm just too old fashioned. I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country.

Last edited by J23; 10/23/17.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I bought a VxII matte with matte rings and bases for my Winchester Model 70 Super Grade. Gun dealer told me gloss was getting rare as Hen's teeth.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i've got a gloss 2.5x8 rifle scope, and a gloss 2x pistol scope. they have the rash from all the rings they've been mounted in. i love a shiney blue scope on a shiney blue rifle.

J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Gus
i've got a gloss 2.5x8 rifle scope, and a gloss 2x pistol scope. they have the rash from all the rings they've been mounted in. i love a shiney blue scope on a shiney blue rifle.

Exactly! ...walnut stocked, shiney blue rifles, and the folks that love them, seem to be a Dying Breed.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I just bought a 110796 3x9 gloss vx2 from Midway.

But, yes. They are fewer every year.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You should be able to find them on EBay for the next 50 years or so.

Also, Leupold will custom make one for you, for a price.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yep!

All the 'twinkie-toed snow-flake wannabe snipers' who are too fearful of joining the military resort to play acting and think the ARs are the cream of the crop! Makes my azz wanna take a dip of snuff!!

[Linked Image]over_a10 by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rust-Oleum gloss black, in a spray can.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Yep!

All the 'twinkie-toed snow-flake wannabe snipers' who are too fearful of joining the military resort to play acting and think the ARs are the cream of the crop! Makes my azz wanna take a dip of snuff!!

[Linked Image]over_a10 by Sharps Man, on Flickr

...that pretty much sums it up.

I just got off the phone with a local Leupold dealer after trying to get in touch with Leupold and being 90th in queue.. granted it's not the horses mouth, but pretty close...he said they're discontinuing gloss as a finish on all their scopes, save for the custom shop. Go figure.

Ted Nugent

J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by CCCC
Rust-Oleum gloss black, in a spray can.

I can't envision that turning out well at all.

Ted Nugent

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was lucky enough to pick up a Gloss Leupold 4X Rimfire scope when I bought my 452 last year but I'm sure they'll go the way of the do-do eventually too. Shame.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by J23
. . .walnut stocked, shiney blue rifles, and the folks that love them, seem to be a Dying Breed.

I got a whole safe full of them. Glossy Lupeys too grin

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I was lucky enough to pick up a Gloss Leupold 4X Rimfire scope when I bought my 452 last year but I'm sure they'll go the way of the do-do eventually too. Shame.

[Linked Image]

Them's some pretty CZ's Fieldgrade! Since the one up top obviously isn't factory, care to elaborate on it?

Ted Nugent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good eye....I use that rifle more than all of the others combined.

It's a 527 that started life as a 221FB. I had Pac-Nor screw a 17FB barrel on it and sent the magazine to RVB for shortening.

I love that little gun. Here's a little better pic of it.

Grrrrr........don't know why the dam link won't paste (fixed it).

[Linked Image]

Ground Squirrels ain't so crazy about it though.

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Just bought a gloss VX-2 3-9x from grafs for my new Hawkeye African 275 Rigby, since I couldn’t find a fx3 6x42, I’m concerned because I’m a glossy Leupold guy, with blue and walnut rifles, too.

Old70

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by J23
... I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country.

No kidding...every kid with enough scratch to buy a rifle wants to hang a 4-16x scope on it, thinking he can shoot as far as he can see. Just go browse the Rifles For Sale section
of any online auction site. Everything is wearing a farqing Tasco 4-12 with a 50 mm objective and see-through mounts.

All that being said, I know a Leupold employee. I can ask the question and find out what it takes to get a gloss 4x scope. Would an M8 work for you?

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I have a really neat little VX2 ultralite glossy 2x7 that lives on a cz 527 .221.

Its the perfect scope for that rifle.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I can't tell ya the last time a bought a gloss scope on purpose. I think I have a grand total of 1.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I have a really neat little VX2 ultralite glossy 2x7 that lives on a cz 527 .221.

Its the perfect scope for that rifle.

That's a 2.5-8X36 on the carbine pictured above. Another nice fit for a 527.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
That does look nice FG.

I dont get too bent out of shape about gloss or matte. Sometimes you get what you can get.

I looked for a long time before I bought that last Leupold 3x9 gloss, thinking the 700 Classic .221 that I had deserved a gloss scope. Actually, the scope is much glossier than the rifle.

It does not look as good as I thought it would.

Usually the 527 American has a nice enough polish on it that a gloss scope looks good.

I dont mind a matte scope on a rifle....but the damn thing had better be in proportion. A nice handy rifle is ruined by a scope that looks like it could double as a corner post.

I am MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (Anaconda, 308ld, 35, BamBam, AnthonyB, 9 invisible), 1,887 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,740
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.