-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I read a book years ago, Living Well on Almost Nothing, by George Romney, IIRC. A lot of it was stuff that you'd think was just obvious but IMO it was worthwhile to put in a book. The book was very enjoyable and if you employed some of the stuff you could save lots of money. I think a sequel has came out since, but I've saved money by not getting it.

To go more micro than my last post...I understand the appeal of downsizing and simplifying. My problem is, I like having lots of stuff and spending money. I really should be reading books, articles and posts about how to make more of it to spend.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tiny House would be ok as long as you have a large garage.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Apparently Albert Einstein wrote a little note years ago about how a happy life is a modest life.....or something like that.

That little note of paper just sold for over a million dollars.................

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
He sounds like a liberal who can't hold a real job.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I started collecting SS at 63 so I don't get the full amount but I get by just fine on the $1,500 bone they throw me every month. I'm 67 now and haven't touched a penny of my 401K yet. Course I sold my place down in NV and bought a small house in rural ID so the taxes are stupid cheap and every thing is paid for, plus I'm just feeding me. I don't want for any thing, eat what I want, drink what I want, go where I want, and even squirrel away enough to buy myself a trinket once in a while.
I couldn't live in one of those stupid "Tiny Houses" or an RV but I wouldn't want to clean or keep up anything much bigger than my little shack on the river either. To each his own but I've found a pretty worry free compromise that works for me.

That's the bottom line, whatever makes one happy.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beautiful thing about this life, you only have to make you happy with your choices.

Unless you’re married. SOB

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hoping to close on a couple of acres pretty soon. A small storage building will be the first structure. smile

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My wife is always reading about tiny houses. Yesterday she showed me a couple articles about how to live in a conversion van. Cheap, yes, but why live like that?

I don't get the tiny house bs (100-200 sq/ft) like they show on these tv shows that people pay 40-60 grand for. Go buy a camper or 5th wheel for 5-10,000 on the cheap side.

Life is just one damned thing after another
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Apparently Albert Einstein wrote a little note years ago about how a happy life is a modest life.....or something like that.

That little note of paper just sold for over a million dollars.................

Einstein's theory of happiness...

"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest”.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by broomd
I started collecting SS at 63 so I don't get the full amount but I get by just fine on the $1,500 bone they throw me every month. I'm 67 now and haven't touched a penny of my 401K yet. Course I sold my place down in NV and bought a small house in rural ID so the taxes are stupid cheap and every thing is paid for, plus I'm just feeding me. I don't want for any thing, eat what I want, drink what I want, go where I want, and even squirrel away enough to buy myself a trinket once in a while.
I couldn't live in one of those stupid "Tiny Houses" or an RV but I wouldn't want to clean or keep up anything much bigger than my little shack on the river either. To each his own but I've found a pretty worry free compromise that works for me.

That's the bottom line, whatever makes one happy.

That...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

How big is your "little shack," FG? Sounds alot like what we (my daughter and I) live in: a 24'x16' cabin (with two loft bedrooms) which sits on my VERY rural 22 acres that I bought with equity from my old "in the city" house. We're fairing well, and we have plenty of room. It's an open floor plan and feels bigger than it is, but I have all the amenities.. living area, dining area, kitchen, bathroom and bedrooms. Covered front porch for sittin', and (sooner or later) a back deck if I ever get to it. It only takes me 20-30 minutes to redd up the place once a week, including scrubbing down the kitchen and bathroom. Granted, I do have a barn to put all my extra stuff in. I don't consider my place a "tiny house," but it's definitely not a 'house, house' either. We just call it "the cabin."

I would much rather have a small cabin on some property than a huge house in town any day of the week.

Last edited by J23; 10/25/17.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
We've actually been considering doing something similar: buy a small lot somewhere here[preferably adjoining National Forest], pour a pad, build a shelter and get a RV. Have a home base so to speak and have land to play on[NF]. Already have a couple of condos at the beach. Possibly sell one of those and replace elsewhere and just live it out[for a while at least]. We would have 3 different places along the southeast to hang at. I can see where 'home' upkeep is going to become a real chore in the not to distant future. Add keeping 75 acres from completely reverting back to forest land and the chore is more than I believe that I'm going want down the road. That said, I just can't imagine townhome or city living as a option.

FJB & FJT
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If I had lived in an apartment in L.A.a tent in the desert would be an improvement...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by HUNTS

Interesting Blog. I was wondering about what you would do for mail so I looked around a little and found that he addresses that issue:

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/stay-touch/

With the internet and cell phones it would be a lot easier to stay in touch with friends and family than it was a couple decades ago. With online banking and email, you could mostly do away with snail mail.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by J23
redd up the place

Rarely hear anyone say it that way any more since my Grandma is gone. Wonder what the geographic dispersion of that usage was/is?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by B_n_C_Buck
He sounds like a liberal who can't hold a real job.

We have a lot of guys like this in San Francisco. They get government assistance and an EBT card. Most are hooked on meth.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Several years ago I met a couple that were living in a camper. It was the same camper that they camped in during race weekend. The guy was a long haul truck driver and his wife whent with him on the trips. The camper was part of a financial plan that had them retiring at an early age. They seemed very disciplined and determined to make the situation work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by J23

How big is your "little shack," FG? Sounds alot like what we (my daughter and I) live in: a 24'x16' cabin (with two loft bedrooms) which sits on my VERY rural 22 acres that I bought with equity from my old "in the city" house. We're fairing well, and we have plenty of room. It's an open floor plan and feels bigger than it is, but I have all the amenities.. living area, dining area, kitchen, bathroom and bedrooms. Covered front porch for sittin', and (sooner or later) a back deck if I ever get to it. It only takes me 20-30 minutes to redd up the place once a week, including scrubbing down the kitchen and bathroom. Granted, I do have a barn to put all my extra stuff in. I don't consider my place a "tiny house," but it's definitely not a 'house, house' either. We just call it "the cabin."

I would much rather have a small cabin on some property than a huge house in town any day of the week.

It's about 600 sq feet with a detached two car garage on three acres. Most of that is steep and timbered though which is fine with me. Better that mother nature takes care of it than me.

It's got a nice covered deck for pipe smoking and coffee/beer/bourbon drinking depending on the time of day.

[Linked Image]

Home sweet home.

Looking in.
[Linked Image]
Looking out
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very nice FG!

LOL
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,188
Posts18,484,884
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.