Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The quality of the Philippine FFII's isn't surprising, since they're made on the same machinery they were in the states, which Burris trained the Philippine workers to use.

In fact, when the switch to the Philippines was made, and many American shooters assumed quality would go downhill, I obtained a Philipinne 3-9x for testing. There wasn't any change in optics (the lenses were made in Asia on the "American" scopes), and the fit and finish got better, probably because Philippine wages were enough lower to allow more time to be spent doing the job.

JB, do you know the difference between the Droptine and FF1 scopes?

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have never even seen a Droptine, so no, I don't!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
[quote=Mule Deer]Tom,

Killed my biggest bull elk, both in body and antlers, with a .30-06 and 3-9x40 FFII a decade ago. Even used factory loads!

I'm assuming this was before the '06 became obsolete?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Burris FF II is an excellent scope. It's probably my favorite hunting scope for them money under $500. They are durable, stay zeroed, have excellent glass, just great all around scopes. I have several.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have the Dober dotz (aka the Leupold LR duplex reticle) fallen out of favor?
Seems a simple set and forget would be a fixed 6 Power LR duplex reticle. Easy out to 400.
Or go up in quality and find a S&B 6x42 with P3 mildot reticle. The S&B PMII 10x42 is an almost bombproof setup too.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leupolds have fallen out of favor.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The quality of the Philippine FFII's isn't surprising, since they're made on the same machinery they were in the states, which Burris trained the Philippine workers to use.

In fact, when the switch to the Philippines was made, and many American shooters assumed quality would go downhill, I obtained a Philipinne 3-9x for testing. There wasn't any change in optics (the lenses were made in Asia on the "American" scopes), and the fit and finish got better, probably because Philippine wages were enough lower to allow more time to be spent doing the job.

JB
There is a commonly observed message in this post. I wonder how many understand this?

Maybe only the guys who buy Sako, BRNO, Tikka older Mark V's, Woodleighs, Portugese Model 70's and other non US products? There isn't much made in the US that warrents the stafus afforded it using memory and tradition as the justification.....motor vehicles is another example. How many Surburbans are the preferred safari car in Africa?

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good point. I try pretty hard to support American manufacturers, but many have dropped the quality ball. I have a greater obligation to use my family's resources wisely than to blindly buy shoddy goods just because they're made here. And "made here" can mean a number of things these days, as well.

Auto makers, in particular, are huge multi-national corporations owned by millions of stockholders located all over the globe. The parts are sourced from wherever it's cheapest. To top it off, about 50-75% of whatever portion of the price of "American" cars that ends up paid as union dues goes to the Democrats (that estimate is based on my old union's figure of 75%).

Point being, trying to make a difference with your purchasing power is a can of worms. And "Quality" is in constant state of flux, not neccessarily related to point of origin any more.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have had really good luck with Weaver Grandslam ( both old and newer versions) and Bushnell Elites. Decent glass, very reliable an a number of guns from 223 thru 300wsm. Also Weaver super slam on my 264 win model 70 extreme weather has been very solid. I think mule deer has had decent luck with a super slam as well. If you watch Natchez they have the Weavers at great prices and they are still being made in Japan at Lite Optical works ......a very solid vendor from what I understand.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks to JB's advice on this subject, I've been using several Burris' this summer/fall. I really like the Burris E1. I've run 5-600 rounds through the pair I have in lightweight 30-06 and 308. They track like they should but wouldn't necessarily say 1 click = exactly 1/4" at 100. The closest they've come to rough treatment is one fell over onto the ground at the range. Didn't move the zero.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

For some ....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like I need to give Burris another look. I had several FFII's years ago, and they were dependable scopes. Had one on a .338 and another on a lightweight 375 H&H and they did quite well, if memory serves.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
gerry,

Over the years, I've read good reviews about the FFII. Not in terms of light transmission, or resolution, but zero retention. And I've noticed that Ingwe, JB, Koshkin, and others have stated that those are durable scopes.

FFII

I recently put a 3-9x FFII on my 700 SPS in 7mm-08. Lately I've been using SWFA scopes, but wanted a scope for relatively close ranges. It didn't track well, but seems to be holding zero as best as I can shoot. I'm going to blame the noodle stock on the SPS for the elongated group below smile. Actually, I've shot several other groups, and all seem reasonable given the rifle/scope setup.

Peering into the objective with a flashlight, I see the erector tube spring that wraps around the inner diameter of the tube that Burris used to advertise. Not sure if it's marketing hype, or if it actually plays a role in the reputation for holding zero?

Jason

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've not had a Weaver Grand Slam go out of time on me yet. I run the 4.75x on a couple of guns.

I've not had any problem with a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x either.

I've never had a Leupie M8 give out on me either.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Making the ocular housing slightly smaller and the main tube slightly longer would help, as would having someone in the sales team that actually uses hunting rifles instead of just fantasizing about being a you-beaut "sniper".

The way things are going I am fully expecting the next lot of scopes to have internet connectivity and channel selection.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Seems a simple set and forget would be a fixed 6 Power LR duplex reticle. Easy out to 400.
Or go up in quality and find a S&B 6x42 with P3 mildot reticle. The S&B PMII 10x42 is an almost bombproof setup too.

I still like them, and still have a 6x36 with Dots. Ditto a 2-7x33. KISS.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Brad

And Ive got the Burris FFIIs and one Leupold with Dober Dotz, they havent run out of favor here and I find them handy and MORE than accurate enough for 99% of hunting application ( which usually means 300 yards and under..)

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Brad

And Ive got the Burris FFIIs and one Leupold with Dober Dotz, they havent run out of favor here and I find them handy and MORE than accurate enough for 99% of hunting application ( which usually means 300 yards and under..)

At 300 yards and under why in God's name would you need dots with any high power rifle?

Last edited by jk16; 11/07/17.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jk16

At 300 yards and under why in God's name would you need dots with any high powdered rifle?

Because apparently my rifles aren't powdered high enough...they DO exhibit some trajectory at 200 and 300 yards...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Ingwe, what kind of scopes did they have when you invented the blunderbuss? laugh

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 1minute, 257 roberts, 57 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,428
Posts18,489,229
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.