-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, they look cheap. But accuracy covers a multitude of sins...

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jk16
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
They’re ok, but kinda junky.

Oh, Bullschit.

Everything that needs to be done right on the rifle is..
They work fbe shoot great and have as good of a basic trigger / safety design as you will find on a factory rifle.

I have a .308 in the Standard midel and it shoots as well or better than any of the out of the box m700s or m70s I have ever owned. Including my pre '64s.

The only mistake Ruger made was styling the stock simular to the Savage "Edge" with the jagged ridhrs and crap. If they would have just stuck with a more classically style the entire rifle would have looked better.

laugh

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jk16

The only mistake Ruger made was styling the stock simular to the Savage "Edge" with the jagged ridhrs and crap. If they would have just stuck with a more classically style the entire rifle would have looked better.

Yeah, personally, I find that stock pretty ugly. But, as far as shootin' goes, I was at a 500 yard range the other day and there was a guy with a stock Ruger American 6.5 Creedmor that was holding his own, and frankly out-shot me (which, granted, ain't saying a lot) and a whole bunch of other guys with $1,000s in their rifles.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I picked up a Predator in 6mm Creedmoor to see how I liked the cartridge. If this rifle is any indication, the accuracy is outstanding, the trigger so-so and the clip crappy (and I grew up using clip rifles). I replaced the trigger with a Timney and that was a major improvement. The original clip worked, but the extra I ordered from Ruger will not feed at all.

On paper the 6mm is unreal as far as making tiny groups. I have a pocket full of tags to fill with candidates to see how it works on game!

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have one in 300 Blackout. I bought it because it was inexpensive. I am fine with the stock. In fact, the stock is really pretty good other than for looks. I have had no trouble with the magazine after they replaced the first one. This thing is short, light, fast to handle and accurate like you would not believe. I get 2395 fps out of 110 grain Hornady GMX with hthe 16" barrel and one hole groups at 100 yards. For an off season hog gun to keep in my side-by-side or when you need something for a close in stand in a small field, it is an excellent choice. I keep it by the back door at home to keep the critters coming up from the river at bay.

Yes, it is cheap, but I sure got my money's worth out of it.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I shot one in .270 the other day and I wasn't impressed a bit. Nothing about that rifle appealed to me. It didn't shoot worth a crap either. Perhaps he had too much fouling in it? it is a low round count gun, but has likely never seen a cleaning rod. In the American's price range, I would look for a Marlin X7 or a Savage.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have two, and have had no issues. You can of course, buy a more expensive rifle. That more expensive rifle may, or may not be as accurate as the Ruger American.

I only have one. Mine is the 7.62 X 39 version. No problem with the mags feeding or loading them as mine uses the Mini- 30 mags.

And as to the problem of no bolt lock, I carry all my rifles slung muzzle down in my left shoulder so they don't scratch up the pistol that I ALWAYS wear on my right hip. And I don't chamber a round unless I'm about to shoot. And mine is surprisingly accurate even with the cheap Russian steel case ammo, too.
I wanted a beater rifle for the 4-Wheeler or UTV at the Ranch for hogs, and mine fits that niche perfectly. Next one I buy will be the 6.5 creedmore in the Predator Version.

the one I bought recently is the 7.62x39 version. I am very pleased with it. The other, in .308, was one of the very first ones. Less than MOS out of the box with a Redfield scope, and no issues at all. I paid less than $250 out the door for that on at Bass Pro in Birmingham.

Sam......

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A friend has an RAR Ranch Rifle in .223.
The trigger or stock hasn't been touched. We've never made it shoot under 1", but it's never shot over 1-1/2" with the cheapest crap we could find. I'd love to see what it would do, bedded with the channel opened up.
The magazine sucks, but does feed once loaded. The stock sucks (like every other rifle in it's price range). The trigger isn't bad, I just kinda hate bladed triggers.
With the stock/chassis from MDT and the new MagPul, both taking AI pattern mags, triggers from Timney, and switchaloo barrels from Patriot Valley, you can spend as much money as you want to on a cheap rifle. Been tempted to roll a 6.5 Predator that direction.
I do like it for what it is, but for what I do with a rifle these days, I'll probably roll a Tikka and be done.

FWIW, if I'm where brush is gonna yank my bolt open, my rifle is between my hands and not hanging over my shoulder.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Happy with my RAR in .223, full size standard rifle.

The only factory load through it was Win 55 grn softpoints, and they shot horribly, dismal groups. I still killed a deer with that combo a couple of days after purchase.

It is very accurate with handloads, 50 vmax, 65 grn Sierra's, 75 and 80 grn Amax. It will see some time deer hunting this year also.

I did find a tutorial on lengthening the magazine with epoxy and a router, and have been very pleased with the results, and the now 2.5" of room for COAL in the mag. I also ground out a bit of the right forearm channel for more consistent free float of the barrel.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
the stock on them is too floppy, thats my primary gripe. also my .223 example has a really short throat for some reason. however, both of the ones i own are more accurate than any m77, m77 mk2, or 77/22 i have ever owned (and there have been several).

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a RAR in 7mm-08...shoots handloads great. It only likes Hornady American Whitetaill factory ammo.

I have a RAPredator in .223. Only likes handloads. Factory ammo I have tried was terrible groups.

No issues with the trigger, magazines, or stocks. Mine are set ~3.5lbs. I was able to adjust them down where I wanted with no issues.

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
No feed issues at all with my 6.5 Creed Predator. It seems to shoot all of my handload combinations pretty well, although I've never tried factory ammo in it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There some things a person shouldn't have to do:

Eat broccoli
Drive a Subaru
Hunt with a Ruger American

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love broccoli
Know nothing about Subaru
Only accurate rifles are interesting...( I think someone else already said that!) smirk

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Eat broccoli
Drive a Subaru

I agree. It’s just not right.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Eat broccoli
Drive a Subaru

I agree. It’s just not right.

I don't mind broccoli, but I'll agree on the other two.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a 300BO Ranch last week, mounted a 1x4 SS and will be at the range in an hour to sight in with the cheapest sub ammo on the shelf, UMC 2XX through the Harvester. It don't hold a candle to my Montana's for look or feel, might be close in accuracy but the Montana's won't take a can.

Same with my compact 22, it ain't up to the Cooper or 39 Mounty but it has a purpose and RAR's are cheap.

I may give a Predator Creed a spin, cheap and threaded.

Dave

K
K

Eat broccoli
Drive a Subaru

I like broccoli. We want to swap out our Camry for a Subaru. My wife shot her first deer last year with a Ruger American.

We did sell it even though it was accurate. That nonlocking bolt handle drove me nuts.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I am the proud owner of two “cheap” 223’s. A model 200 Stevens and a RAR. I am pleased with both for the money spent.
Neither could be considered top shelf but both are accurate and function well. YMMV smile

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yep, it's all about personal preferences. You enjoy your rifles, and don't worry what others say.

And please, don't shoot Remington 700s. They're, well, they're just wrong... laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,719
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.