Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

as mentioned.......Savage barrels are rough & will fowl much more..........

Tikka/Sako barrels are smooth compared to Savage..........

Pac Nor is a custom barrel......and others..... they would be smooth as a baby's butt....

just expect to spend more time getting copper out..its a game rifle......shoot it/clean it....

fill the freezer........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like them for toys, easy to change barrels on, accurate. I really don't like the safety on them but they generally are well worth the money.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by jeffpie
Don't Drink the Savage coolaid, to late your Hooked!!!!!!! ha ha ha join the Party n enjoy, my 270 wsm md 14 American Classic, looks as Beautiful as my Remy bdl delux,, funny theres no ruffness in her chrome moly bbl ,she'll stand toe to toe with any of my Customs and shoots just as Great with my proven handloads, 6.5 creedmores beware .....bou ahaw bou fricken dee du....lol Savage ROCKS

Get a Powerball ticket. grin

OK,serious question. What does it really matter if the barrel is rough if it shoots well? Does it just mean that I will have to clean it more often?

Rough barrels often do require cleaning more often to keep shooting well.

I suppose you could mitigate this with Dyna Bore Coat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a long range hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. It shoots great. I also jumped on a good deal when they had the lightweight hunter model on sale with rebate. I have a .308 that, loaded with a sling and Weaver 4.75x fixed power scope, weighs under 7 pounds. It doesn't suck for carrying, and shoots great as well.

For the money, the lightweight hunter was really a good buy IMO.

Tubbs final finish on both. They don't copper foul more than my other rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rough barrel...maybe thats the key why many shoot so well right out of the box.

This Weather Warrior 16 22-250 doesn't like a clean barrel in fact the first range test was disappointing until about 20 rounds down the barrel. When aggressively cleaned it requires a fouled barrel to regain sub-moa accuracy.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
ER SHAW builds all there custom rifles around the Savage action that should say something.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ziggy
ER SHAW builds all there custom rifles around the Savage action that should say something.

Same for MOA Precision.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have an old 116 (long action) in .223. It's ugly as sin --- with a too flexible forearm on the plastic stock. I put a Sharp Shooter's trigger on it --- had to hog out the trigger recess in the stock to get it to fit. It's extremely accurate with 55 grain Ballistic Tips. It's my stay in the truck all year gun. Dropped a far away Coyote with it last week.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I mostly shoot Savage but to be fair the list of rifles I wouldn't own is much shorter. Every one of them on my safes are shooters. I do have a 270 that took some figuring out but now she shoots .5 MOA.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I own several. All are good shooters. I have a Stevens 200 in .270(Timney trigger added), stainless Axis .270 (Basix trigger added), Model 10 .308 w/accutrigger, a Model 16 in .300 WSM with accutrigger. I formerly owned a 1961 made M 110 in .30-06.

The Model 16 took me a couple weeks to figure out, which is probably why I got it really cheap. But now it's 3/4" for 3 shots at 100 yd with factory ammo.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Yep, they're overpriced! Roughly $1000 for a Savage in a Boyd's stock. I have no problems sinking a grand into a Savage obviously, but I have more options in my Savage for the same money than Shaw offers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does anyone have any recommendations for stiffening the front end of a Axis stock?

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Salvage, ugly as a fence post but shoot almost like a custom.

I have 3 that I shoot, 223 260 223Hog Hunter, 1 Stevens 200 in 300WM waiting as a donor. 22-250 barrel was replaced with the 260 Criterion. All have been .5" shooters, the Hog Hunter is a dog at 1" and I haven't played with it. Just generic reload and shoot it in the pos floppy stock.

I'm contemplating going to pick up another today. With the rebate it's a steal for this particular model.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

It says they want to cut corners.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Yea whatever

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RandyR
Does anyone have any recommendations for stiffening the front end of a Axis stock?

Cheapest and most effective is to buy a Boyd's laminate stock.

Yea whatever

Do you own one a Shaw Mark VII? They're charging $490 for a Savage action, but what work has been done to it, has it been trued in any way? The stock looks suspiciously like a run of the mill Boyd's because the prices match up closely, and they don't currently offer a synthetic version. Sure you can get a helical fluted barrel and some other options like a muzzle brake but you're nearly $1K into the base model rifle that probably won't shoot any better than a factory Savage.

I can pick up a Savage rifle with a $50-100 rebate, drop it in a Boyd's stock, and have it shoot as good as the Shaw MKVII and save an average of $300. Or I can skip the Boyd's stock and drop the barreled action in a McMillan for the same price as the Shaw, or if I buy a long action then I can use a B&C Medalist and save about $200 on the MKVII.

I really have a feeling Shaw isn't doing anything special to the actions and just assembling a rifle with off the shelf actions and calling it a custom. The way I look at it I can buy a Kimber Montana for the price of a base model Shaw and if I don't like it get my money back. If I buy a tricked out MKVII I'm almost the cost of a new Barrett Filedcraft, and I again know which I can get my money back out of it.

There is nothing wrong IMO opinion if a guy wants to have Shaw assemble a rifle for them in a cartridge that isn't standard offering. However with patience a guy could assemble the same rifle for less money with better options. I'm just over $1100 into my build I posted pictures of with all the work shown and started in August of 2016 when I bought the barrel. It then took me until Feb 2017 before I found the right deal on a Savage action.

I paid $250 plus shipping and transfer for the used .223 Savage Accustock with DBM, I sold the barrel for $75, scope for $35, and extra youth stock for $35. So after buying the recoil lug, bolt handle and lift kit that leaves me about $200 into the rifle. 6X45mm X-caliber barrel $300 on sale, action work, barrel, and bolt fluting was $332, Cerakote, engraving and Hydrodip on the stock was another $300. I have $450 that I spent for the scope, rings, and bases that have yet to go on, but that puts me at a total of $1582 in my build, to get something close to what I did from Shaw will run $1300 without scope.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Yea whatever

1K for a salvage, LMFAO. Rube Goldberg bolt design, [bleep] bottom metal.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
They are ugly and they are getting more expensive every time I turn around. I personally don't care for them, but have friends that love them. The best attribute to a savage is they are damn accurate rifles, but horrible in aesthetics and ergonomics...

Couldn't have expressed my own feelings about them any better.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are hideous rifles I tell ya. Couldn't even enjoy my hunt with this ugly thing hanging out in front of me.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/se...dia/33481148250/large/1510439479/enhance

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 11/11/17.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I just picked up a pair of Savage Axis II's in .223 & .270. I happened to be perusing Cabela's website online and saw they have a wood stocked Axis model now.

So then it also happened that they had them on sale from $479, reduced to $299.

The hardwood stock is a Boyds Classic apparently, the recoil pad is marked Boyds. There is quite a difference in the wood stocked version compared to the Tupperware version, it feels like an altogether different gun.

The gun comes with a Weaver Kaspa 3X9 scope with ballistic plex recticle, supposedly already bore sighted, but I'll check it.

So the gun with Weaver Kaspa scope, Boyds stock and accu-trigger was on sale for $299, then a $50 rebate from Savage, 10 dollar off coupons compliments of Cabelas made them $239 out the door from the Delaware store since there is no sales tax and no NICS fee.

Certainly not the greatest guns in the world, but pretty hard to beat for the price, and the wood stock makes quite a difference in the feel of the gun, I must say.

[Linked Image]

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

728 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16Racing, 65 invisible), 2,871 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,844
Posts18,478,302
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.