I have never been attracted to Savage rifles. The aesthetics basically left me holding my nose but I've sighted in a couple of scoped Savage rifles for friends. It always pissed me off that they shot so well with that cheap flimsy plastic stock.

I have an older friend from church who is completely new to guns. He just bought a Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor with the Accustock and asked me to help him get it set up for target shooting and hunting. That Accustock impressed me in how it takes a cheap plastic shell and makes it completely serviceable. Well,I got to reading up on Savage rifles and now I'm intrigued. I've seen at least one high end custom action that also uses a floating bolt head and a barrel nut to make those two accuracy increasing steps easy to accomplish.

Just how good are the Savage Long Range Hunter rifles? I wouldn't mind owning a long range gun in 6.5X284. From just a quick study it seems like a cheap way to get started. Let's even go so far as to say a guy shot out and replaced the barrel with a premium grade barrel,and maybe even a nice McMillan stock. Is there anything in the Savage action itself that makes it just not worth spending money on,other than not having the bragging rights of a big name custom action?

Take another example of their Light Weight Hunter action that is milled down to reduce weight. Is there any reason not to put one of those in an Edge,maybe even with a premium tube? Yea,I know you would have a lot of money in a Salvage,but aside from just the name,on its merits only as a tool, would it be as good of a tool and maybe even a more accurate one because of the floating bolt head and barrel nut design?

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 11/09/17.