Originally Posted by RandyR
Does anyone have any recommendations for stiffening the front end of a Axis stock?

Cheapest and most effective is to buy a Boyd's laminate stock.

Originally Posted by Ziggy
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Ziggy
ER SHAW builds all there custom rifles around the Savage action that should say something.

It says they want to cut corners.

Yea whatever

Do you own one a Shaw Mark VII? They're charging $490 for a Savage action, but what work has been done to it, has it been trued in any way? The stock looks suspiciously like a run of the mill Boyd's because the prices match up closely, and they don't currently offer a synthetic version. Sure you can get a helical fluted barrel and some other options like a muzzle brake but you're nearly $1K into the base model rifle that probably won't shoot any better than a factory Savage.

I can pick up a Savage rifle with a $50-100 rebate, drop it in a Boyd's stock, and have it shoot as good as the Shaw MKVII and save an average of $300. Or I can skip the Boyd's stock and drop the barreled action in a McMillan for the same price as the Shaw, or if I buy a long action then I can use a B&C Medalist and save about $200 on the MKVII.

I really have a feeling Shaw isn't doing anything special to the actions and just assembling a rifle with off the shelf actions and calling it a custom. The way I look at it I can buy a Kimber Montana for the price of a base model Shaw and if I don't like it get my money back. If I buy a tricked out MKVII I'm almost the cost of a new Barrett Filedcraft, and I again know which I can get my money back out of it.

There is nothing wrong IMO opinion if a guy wants to have Shaw assemble a rifle for them in a cartridge that isn't standard offering. However with patience a guy could assemble the same rifle for less money with better options. I'm just over $1100 into my build I posted pictures of with all the work shown and started in August of 2016 when I bought the barrel. It then took me until Feb 2017 before I found the right deal on a Savage action.

I paid $250 plus shipping and transfer for the used .223 Savage Accustock with DBM, I sold the barrel for $75, scope for $35, and extra youth stock for $35. So after buying the recoil lug, bolt handle and lift kit that leaves me about $200 into the rifle. 6X45mm X-caliber barrel $300 on sale, action work, barrel, and bolt fluting was $332, Cerakote, engraving and Hydrodip on the stock was another $300. I have $450 that I spent for the scope, rings, and bases that have yet to go on, but that puts me at a total of $1582 in my build, to get something close to what I did from Shaw will run $1300 without scope.