Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yes sir it did! Thanks for posting.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I need some more knowledgeable Montana hunters to step in with an answer to my question. I have elk hunted in Montana as a non-resident with the combo license, deer/elk for the last two years. My question is "is there any where in Montana that that elk permit allows me to shoot either a bull or a cow?" I called Montana G&F but the 2 ladies I talked with could not give me any information to answer my question. The permit is labeled as "General Elk License". Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am no authority on Montana's Elk regs., but in my mind, a general tag means that in my area, I am entitled to either a cow or a spike bull. If I go further south to the Forest Service land, the same tag entitles me to either sex elk. The main thing is each area, or a lot of areas have different requirements as to what you can shoot.
Then there is the "shoulder" season tag that is good only on private land. Also for cows only. (I think).
I live in South Central MT, and I can only talk about my area. I would suggest you call the Fish &Game offices in the area you want to hunt for the best,accurate info. Otherwise, get yourself a current hunting map and regs and go over each area and see what is available.
I am reasonably sure that a General tag is the same for both Residents and Non-Residents.
I do have a friend from out of state on this forum that knows the regs. Probably better than I do!
Maybe he will read this .

Ken

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
I need some more knowledgeable Montana hunters to step in with an answer to my question. I have elk hunted in Montana as a non-resident with the combo license, deer/elk for the last two years. My question is "is there any where in Montana that that elk permit allows me to shoot either a bull or a cow?" I called Montana G&F but the 2 ladies I talked with could not give me any information to answer my question. The permit is labeled as "General Elk License". Thanks

You need to refer to the regulations, but short answer is “yes”.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DLALLDER

FYI, you have a license, not a permit. A permit is in addition to a license.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ismith, I had a 3 part piece of paper, one part was for the wt that I killed, here in Texas we call it a tag . The 2nd part says "General Elk License", this is what goes on the elk that gets killed. I would still have left a 3rd part that says "Do Not Validate. This is not a tag,".

Now, since I have already called Montana G& F and could not talk with anyone that knew anymore about my question than I do, would you please tell !e exactly who I need to talk to??? A phone number would be nice.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
After a second call, what can be killed with a "General Elk License," is determined by location!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Correct , that's what I was trying to say. I referred to my area in south central mt. (Region 5). Region 5 office is in Billings. All of that info is available on the hunting regulations. If you don't have the regs., you can look at them page by page on their web site. Each region on the map has it's own exceptions to the general regs. I think the regs. I quoted earlier are the more common ones.
If you need any more help, I can try to explain via pm easier.
Ken
PS that third section is just a blank tag. It is just part of the page your
tag is on.

Last edited by kennymauser; 11/08/17.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks, kennymauser. I think I have a understanding of it now. A hunter that thought he knew told me our elk tags, license,or permit, what ever you want to call it was good for bull or cow

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is very simple... it's a district by district thing. You need to know where you will be hunting:

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/planahunt/huntingGuides/dea/

Under "Deer and Elk" click on the PDF: Individual Hunting District Regulations

It's not a forgone conclusion you can kill a bull or cow in every area... there are plenty of areas that are "brow tined bull" only areas.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Brad, that was our situation, nothing but brow tine bulls were legal.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
DLALLDER, didn't FWP mail you a copy of the regulations with your license? They used to do that, would be silly if they dont do that anymore.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ismith, we got nothing but the license and one page informing us the license did not allow us to trepass and other common sense information

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bwinters: I am tagged out on Deer so now I am concentrating on Elk here in SW Montana - my scouting/Hunting the last several days shows MANY (most?) Elk are now concentrated behind fences on private land.
Yesterday I counted just over 1,000 Elk (several dandy Bulls included!) on one private ranch and 140 Elk on the next ranch I passed.
Its a little tough Hunting on public lands now with these Elk and their new habit of seeking refuge from Wolves and Hunting pressure on the private lands.
Humorous story - late last week one of my long time friends called me early that morning and asked me to sight in his 300 Weatherby Magnum (I absolutely HATE shooting this particular lightweight 300 Weatherby!) so I drive to the construction site he's working at and pick the gun up.
When I get there he states he needs the Rifle sighted in and back to him by 3:00 P.M. THAT DAY!
I suck it up and change my days plans and head to another friends private Rifle range.
I like to use this private range when sighting in my various friends "magnums" because no one can hear me curse after each shot!
Anyway I get it sighted in and back to him by 3:00 and off he goes on a "Hunt".
It turns out he had been invited onto a private ranch to "Hunt" Elk there.
He bagged a nifty 6x7 Bull Elk less than an hour after I dropped off his freshly sighted in Rifle.
Sadly MUCH Elk Hunting here in SW Montana is no longer based on what you know, where you go or how you Hunt but on "WHO you know"!
Anyway I have been promised some Elk steaks once this big Bull is butchered.
I did also see two beautiful Fox yesterday (one mostly black in color) while scouting and one very well furred Coyote.
Hope you can get out and get after the Elk next year.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Just the opposite from everyone I know in the Dillon area VG. Seems anyone that wants and elk and is willing to put out a slight bit of effort has killed one. I would suggest you get away from private, roads and your truck, lace up a good pair of boots and you will be able to find a bull.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
SW Montana. Covered lots of difficult ground on foot. Had a great time. Saw lots of elk opening week, unfortunately they were all on private ranches (saw over 400). Game warden told the same story when we talked to him. Some sign for the first few days on the public land and some elk taken but the elk quickly became scarce. Very little snow and unusually warm temps where I was, although very high winds at times and lots of hunters opening weekend.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Joezone
SW Montana. Covered lots of difficult ground on foot. Had a great time. Saw lots of elk opening week, unfortunately they were all on private ranches (saw over 400). Game warden told the same story when we talked to him. Some sign for the first few days on the public land and some elk taken but the elk quickly became scarce. Very little snow and unusually warm temps where I was, although very high winds at times and lots of hunters opening weekend.

Wow, sounds like Oregon.

LOL
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Pintlar: I will pass your advice along to all my Elk-less friends, who for the most part are NOT road Hunters as you imply - I doubt your advice will soothe their sore feet and angst.
I have four close friends with Elk so far from this county - two were taken on the private grounds and the other two taken back on opening day/weekend (14 - 15 days ago).
Other than that its been quiet in my clique of twenty+ other Elk Hunting friends.
How about you had any luck yet?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Bull elk and buck deer in the freezer along with 2 archery whitetail does.

I can think of 14 guys I know with bulls from the Dillon area, another 4 with cows. With the snow they said is was quite easy.

Last edited by Pintlar; 11/10/17.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 44 invisible), 2,135 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,336
Posts18,506,137
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.