Hop To
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Folks ,
I’m just wondering if those of you who keep a record of a load you try , say for gun and caliber specific,
do you only save the data for loads you find accurate or do you record and keep the data for loads that don’t work out ?
I think I would like to do it with my computer but I haven’t the first clue how to start ? Are there programs out there you can purchase ?

Thank you in advance for you time and consideration.
Semper Fi
Soup

Last edited by Soup; 11/12/17.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Me too. I keep my load notes in a binder that is about 1 1/2" thick and is nearly full. Have load notes back to the late 80's on everything tried and can find the data but it may take a while. Tried to organize it with Excell but I suck at Excell. If I rewrite everything and organize it by caliber it would be a lot handier. Maybe I need to hire a secretary?

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I write everything in a notebook, whether it works well or not. I chronograph everything during load workup and keep a record of charge weight vs. velocity, accuracy, seating depth, etc.

My notes aren't the neatest and they need cleaning up, but the data is kept. I haven't moved to computerized record keeping, I just use old fashioned notebooks.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Whether a load works or not I try to record it on a spreadsheet. If something didn't work I don't want to forget and do it all over again.

It's all data, there is no good or bad about it.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Since I print my own targets from ones downloaded from the 'net I have added lines at the bottom to record load data. After I return from the range I punch them for a 3 ring binder and insert them in caliber specific binders. Visible evidence of how a particular load shoots is valuable to me in load development, I have been working all spring and summer developing loads for .257 Roberts, .30-06 and .35 Whelen. I have had the Whelen the longest of the three and eventually wound up that the load I had developed for it 25 yrs. ago was the most
accurate of all three calibers. It will be the rifle with me in the blind when our firearm deer season opens next Saturday. If anyone would like a copy of this target, please feel free to PM me.

Last edited by gunswizard; 11/12/17.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm not a natural when it comes to working with a computer but I've found a simple spreadsheet to be invaluable for keeping load data.

I keep a little note pad in my shooting bag for notes at the range and transfer when I get home.

I have to keep the spreadsheet simple so I'll use it and I try to keep it current with updates every time I change or tweak a load, or when I test a known load in a new/different rifle.

Each cartridge has it's own page, each page is the same format as all the rest.

Headers at the top that help me,
Rifle, Bullet, Powder, Charge Weight, Primer, Over all length, Velocity, Date, Group size, Distance, Notes.

There's always more info you can add , Temperature, Wind, Standard Deviation, Extreme Spread, New brass, Fired brass etc.

The loads that shoot well, I want to be able to duplicate.
The loads that stink, I don't want to waste time trying them twice (after I've forgotten them) Log Everything that You'll use!

I don't want to loose the whole spreadsheet if my computer dies so occasionally I email the spreadsheet to myself and I can always find it there.

Saving to a thumb drive works too and you can list your firearms and their info on a different spreadsheet saved in the same thumb drive.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I use a Caldwell chronograph. I downloaded their free app to my phone. Now everything is automatically loaded onto the app. I can also take a picture of the group and save it in with the data on the app.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I started before these new fangled things were born.
That said i keep records on oilfield tally books

I have several and when new stuff gets tried it is put in the books.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I'd love to help you with some kind of spreadsheet, but I started with a 3 ring binder 35+ years ago, and still use it today--although I've had to transfer some load/chrono data into another binder............

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This is what my initial workup card looks like. It's east to carry in each 50rd ammo box to the range. I mark each group of three rounds with the appropriate color marker. I write down the chrono speeds and the group sizes go on the far right. After I find my powder charge, the card for seating depths looks very similar. Once I get my load worked out, the final load goes in a spreadsheet with a separate sheet for each rifle I own. In my reloading room, I keep the dies and brass for each cartridge in separate plastic tubs. The cards go in these tubs after I'm done with them. When I get ready to work up another bullet/powder load for a rifle, it's a fairly simple task to go and flip through the cards in the appropriate cartridge tub.
[Linked Image]

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep take good detailed notes and cut out and save the best groups on targets and record info on the target.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Soup,

I doubt this is the best possible way but I've been doing it this way since the days of Windows NT.

I use Excel & Word with a separate file (Workbook & Word Document) for each gun. In Excel I have a spreadsheet for every day with a map of my ammo box and try to list all the pertinent details.

I keep lots of notes in Word, technical stuff and a breakdown organized by powders then bullets.

And occasionally I find myself sorting through binders of targets looking for something I wrote.

Here are a couple screen captures:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

What would Porter Rockwell do?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Stomatador,
How did you do the screen shot? I have tried until aggravation but can't get it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Good info, been wondering the exact same thing. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Stomatador,
How did you do the screen shot? I have tried until aggravation but can't get it.

I did those on my MacBook, command + shift + 4 . On a pc it's Ctrl + Print Screen.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100131/lee-the-shooter-program-software-cd-rom

I've been using this for several years now. I log everything.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 23 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,706
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.