-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They had me when all of the sudden it was easy to find one in 260 up here around 2010. I bought a 16fcss (stainless, metal detach mag, accustock) and as the rumour went it shot real good probably the best of any out of the box rifle I've messed with actually. Then I figured a lightweight hunter also in 260 would be a sweet little thing, poor man's mountain rifle smirk Then a heavy barrel 12 in 223 followed me home oh, and a mk11 .22 Don't do it, if you buy your first Salvage good chances you'll end up with a few of these but ugly abominations in your space.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wink_man
I just picked up a pair of Savage Axis II's in .223 & .270. I happened to be perusing Cabela's website online and saw they have a wood stocked Axis model now.

So then it also happened that they had them on sale from $479, reduced to $299.

The hardwood stock is a Boyds Classic apparently, the recoil pad is marked Boyds. There is quite a difference in the wood stocked version compared to the Tupperware version, it feels like an altogether different gun.

The gun comes with a Weaver Kaspa 3X9 scope with ballistic plex recticle, supposedly already bore sighted, but I'll check it.

So the gun with Weaver Kaspa scope, Boyds stock and accu-trigger was on sale for $299, then a $50 rebate from Savage, 10 dollar off coupons compliments of Cabelas made them $239 out the door from the Delaware store since there is no sales tax and no NICS fee.

Certainly not the greatest guns in the world, but pretty hard to beat for the price, and the wood stock makes quite a difference in the feel of the gun, I must say.

[Linked Image]

And those have the AccuTrigger that wasn't a deal .......................................it was a steal.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Prwlr

And those have the AccuTrigger that wasn't a deal .......................................it was a steal.

Ed, I was thinking the same thing when I picked them up, I said to my lady that I should have ordered a dozen of them. Garry

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Didnt Lazzeroni use Savage actions on their rifles?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by RandyR
Does anyone have any recommendations for stiffening the front end of a Axis stock?

Cheapest and most effective is to buy a Boyd's laminate stock.

Originally Posted by Ziggy
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
ER SHAW builds all there custom rifles around the Savage action that should say something.

It says they want to cut corners.

Yea whatever

Do you own one a Shaw Mark VII? They're charging $490 for a Savage action, but what work has been done to it, has it been trued in any way? The stock looks suspiciously like a run of the mill Boyd's because the prices match up closely, and they don't currently offer a synthetic version. Sure you can get a helical fluted barrel and some other options like a muzzle brake but you're nearly $1K into the base model rifle that probably won't shoot any better than a factory Savage.

I can pick up a Savage rifle with a $50-100 rebate, drop it in a Boyd's stock, and have it shoot as good as the Shaw MKVII and save an average of $300. Or I can skip the Boyd's stock and drop the barreled action in a McMillan for the same price as the Shaw, or if I buy a long action then I can use a B&C Medalist and save about $200 on the MKVII.

I really have a feeling Shaw isn't doing anything special to the actions and just assembling a rifle with off the shelf actions and calling it a custom. The way I look at it I can buy a Kimber Montana for the price of a base model Shaw and if I don't like it get my money back. If I buy a tricked out MKVII I'm almost the cost of a new Barrett Filedcraft, and I again know which I can get my money back out of it.

There is nothing wrong IMO opinion if a guy wants to have Shaw assemble a rifle for them in a cartridge that isn't standard offering. However with patience a guy could assemble the same rifle for less money with better options. I'm just over $1100 into my build I posted pictures of with all the work shown and started in August of 2016 when I bought the barrel. It then took me until Feb 2017 before I found the right deal on a Savage action.

I paid $250 plus shipping and transfer for the used .223 Savage Accustock with DBM, I sold the barrel for $75, scope for $35, and extra youth stock for $35. So after buying the recoil lug, bolt handle and lift kit that leaves me about $200 into the rifle. 6X45mm X-caliber barrel $300 on sale, action work, barrel, and bolt fluting was $332, Cerakote, engraving and Hydrodip on the stock was another $300. I have $450 that I spent for the scope, rings, and bases that have yet to go on, but that puts me at a total of $1582 in my build, to get something close to what I did from Shaw will run $1300 without scope.

We know the barrels are made in house but the actions are not. So why would ER SHAW just slap one of there barrels on somebody else's receiver without truing it first? I'm certain this question has come up more than once. ER SHAW has been in business for a long time. They would b the one to ask first before spewing out such statements before knowing. I'm assuming they do but it's a question I will be asking them soon.

Last edited by Ziggy; 11/12/17.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a savage American classic in 308 very accurate gun and not too ugly

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by RandyR
Does anyone have any recommendations for stiffening the front end of a Axis stock?

Cheapest and most effective is to buy a Boyd's laminate stock.

ER SHAW builds all there custom rifles around the Savage action that should say something.

It says they want to cut corners.

Yea whatever

Do you own one a Shaw Mark VII? They're charging $490 for a Savage action, but what work has been done to it, has it been trued in any way? The stock looks suspiciously like a run of the mill Boyd's because the prices match up closely, and they don't currently offer a synthetic version. Sure you can get a helical fluted barrel and some other options like a muzzle brake but you're nearly $1K into the base model rifle that probably won't shoot any better than a factory Savage.

I can pick up a Savage rifle with a $50-100 rebate, drop it in a Boyd's stock, and have it shoot as good as the Shaw MKVII and save an average of $300. Or I can skip the Boyd's stock and drop the barreled action in a McMillan for the same price as the Shaw, or if I buy a long action then I can use a B&C Medalist and save about $200 on the MKVII.

I really have a feeling Shaw isn't doing anything special to the actions and just assembling a rifle with off the shelf actions and calling it a custom. The way I look at it I can buy a Kimber Montana for the price of a base model Shaw and if I don't like it get my money back. If I buy a tricked out MKVII I'm almost the cost of a new Barrett Filedcraft, and I again know which I can get my money back out of it.

There is nothing wrong IMO opinion if a guy wants to have Shaw assemble a rifle for them in a cartridge that isn't standard offering. However with patience a guy could assemble the same rifle for less money with better options. I'm just over $1100 into my build I posted pictures of with all the work shown and started in August of 2016 when I bought the barrel. It then took me until Feb 2017 before I found the right deal on a Savage action.

I paid $250 plus shipping and transfer for the used .223 Savage Accustock with DBM, I sold the barrel for $75, scope for $35, and extra youth stock for $35. So after buying the recoil lug, bolt handle and lift kit that leaves me about $200 into the rifle. 6X45mm X-caliber barrel $300 on sale, action work, barrel, and bolt fluting was $332, Cerakote, engraving and Hydrodip on the stock was another $300. I have $450 that I spent for the scope, rings, and bases that have yet to go on, but that puts me at a total of $1582 in my build, to get something close to what I did from Shaw will run $1300 without scope.

We know the barrels are made in house but the actions are not. So why would ER SHAW just slap one of there barrels on somebody else's receiver without truing it first? I'm certain this question has come up more than once. ER SHAW has been in business for a long time. They would b the one to ask first before spewing out such statements before knowing. I'm assuming they do but it's a question I will be asking them soon.

I don't know much about gunsmithing,but I was under the impression that Savage's floating bolt head negated the need for truing an action.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jericho
Didnt Lazzeroni use Savage actions on their rifles?

Don't think they do that anymore, but they did at one time for a better price point than their custom actions.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TOPCATHR
I have a savage American classic in 308 very accurate gun and not too ugly

Agreed, they're not too hard on the eyes at all.

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They are more consistently more accurate out of the box than the Kimber Montana.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

I don't know if I was spewing, I was asking if you knew something about the Mark VII rifle. I can save you some trouble, I found an email chain I had with someone named Chris that works/worked for ER Shaw back in 2008. I'd forgot I had even inquired about them until this morning when i found a quote for a build from Shaw in one of my old files on my computer. It was for a .338-06 stainless synthetic rifle, obviously I never bought it.

The ER Shaw contours have a shoulder on them and they fit up to and headspace at the recoil lug, the nut does not fit nor is it needed. the recoil lug we use have both surfaces trued and are a .250 lug instead of the factory .188 lug. We also true the receiver face, bolt face and lap the bolt lugs for engagement. All of the parts that make up the receiver are polished and hand fit. The threading, chambering, and crowning of the barrel are also all done by hand. The synthetic stock is a contract stock that we use, I assume it is made by Butler Creek, or six Enterprises, or one of the other injection mold companies, nothing fancy, press checkered, std 1" soft recoil pad and we bed the recoil lug area of the stock, further bedding would have to be done by the end user.

I can tell you this is probably the reason I didn't buy one. I had been burned once before by a promise of a custom rifle by paying up front, and the idea of paying upfront a second time didn't appeal to me.

The turnaround time to manufacture and assemble a Mark VII rifle is in the 10 to 12 month area right now. Since these are a hand assembled rifle the Mark VII's are billed up front before the order is submitted for manufacturing.

I've paid for a Savage action to be blueprinted on a 1:7 twist .243 I built for launching 105-115 grain bullets. It also had a 1 lb Sharpshooter competition trigger, Sharpshooter bolt handle, Sharpshooter .25 precision ground recoil lug, HS Precision stock bedded by Kevin Weaver, 20 MOA EGW base, Viper 6.5-20X50, sitting in lapped Warne Maxima rings it weighed over 11 lbs and it was consistently a .5 MOA gun at 300 yards for five or more rounds. However, I had a factory Stevens 200 .243 Win with only a tuned trigger that shot .75 MOA at 300 yards with 95 grain NBT and 100 grain Sierra PH bullets with a 3-9X40 Vari-X II scope for five rounds. I decided after that there was no reason to blueprint another Savage action.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I don't know much about gunsmithing,but I was under the impression that Savage's floating bolt head negated the need for truing an action.

The floating bolt head may make sure the lugs both seat. But how does it then make sure the plane of the bolt face is perpendicular to the center line of the chamber/bore? What does it do to ensure the bore and action are coaxial?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have 2.... One is a 16 Lightweight Hunter in 243 and the other is an Axis 223... The Axis serves its purpose as a truck gun that shoots cheap fmj ammo fairly well. The LWH has been a big disappointment though.. It will be for sale shortly. Id have already posted it but I will be gone for 2 weeks and am just going to wait til I get home. From the rugh bolt to the cheap stock to the not consistent accuracy... color me not impressed. I hope the others perform much better than the one I have. Might be something as simple as torque sequence on the stock but Im over it. Only accurate guns are interesting.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by mathman

The floating bolt head may make sure the lugs both seat. But how does it then make sure the plane of the bolt face is perpendicular to the center line of the chamber/bore? What does it do to ensure the bore and action are coaxial?

^^^^^^^^^This. Savages have never been a bargain, do they work most certainly but they are not for me and I am far from being a gun snob. They initiated the current run to the bottom with their line of Axis rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

^^^^^^^^^This. Savages have never been a bargain, They initiated the current run to the bottom with their line of Axis rifles.

The designers of the Remington 710 take issue with that comment.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DoeDumper
I have 2.... One is a 16 Lightweight Hunter in 243 and the other is an Axis 223... The Axis serves its purpose as a truck gun that shoots cheap fmj ammo fairly well. The LWH has been a big disappointment though.. It will be for sale shortly. Id have already posted it but I will be gone for 2 weeks and am just going to wait til I get home. From the rugh bolt to the cheap stock to the not consistent accuracy... color me not impressed. I hope the others perform much better than the one I have. Might be something as simple as torque sequence on the stock but Im over it. Only accurate guns are interesting.

Both of my LWH rifles will shoot 100 yard 3 shot groups sub MOA. I haven't tinkereed with them at all, that's straight out of the box. Mine are 223 and 6.5 Creedmoor. What kind of accuracy are you getting out of yours? My Savage model 11 Prairie Dog Hunter will do 1/2 MOA.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Salvage Rifles

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

I'm not sure I'm understanding completely. I told you I didn't know much about gunsmithing. Are you saying that the lugs might be making full contact but be off to one side or the other?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If the floating head has to tilt to make both lugs contact, then will that not throw off the alignment of the bolt head face since it tilts right along with the lugs?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Deleted. Wrong thread.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 11/13/17.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 22250rem, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,871
Posts18,518,028
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.