Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
The Tikka T3 and Barrett Fieldcraft seem to be taking up a lot of bandwidth recently here at the 24 HC. I have to admit I've been a long running Tikka fan for a lot of years but this new Barrett Fieldcraft has really peaked my interest. I can't remember the last time I have seen a new release generate this kind of excitement. The Montana has been pretty popular but it's always been a love/hate relationship sort of popularity. Kinda like it started a new boy scout program to help displaced children but at the same time got caught sleeping with the neighbors wife.

This new Barrett Fieldcraft seems like a great lightweight rifle that does exactly what it advertises

I realize we are talking about apples and oranges here but it still seems to be a popularity contest as of late. How many of you Tikka fans are considering a possible change in your future mountian/pack etc rifle. For me the Montana just never quite got there for me. It seems the Fieldcraft may be just what I've been waiting for

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 11/21/17.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Go away, liar.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Tikka a JV player? Pretty damn nice rifles in my opinion, and they shoot fantastic...why would I change them out?

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JohnChilds
Tikka a JV player? Pretty damn nice rifles in my opinion, and they shoot fantastic...why would I change them out?

Because if you are into hiking and packing overnight hunting trips into the wilderness choosing gear that weighs less is always a consideration. Especially as the years creep up and I'm far from ready to quit. I'm not saying I would get one over a Tikka because Tikka certainly rock in my world. I'm saying the Barrett Fieldcraft is one of the few rifles that has come along that has me considering it

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Tikkas are a proven commodity, and have been for over 20 years now. The Barrett, not so much, yet.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd say Barrett is a proven commodity. The FC is a new model for Barrett, just like the T3x is a new model for Tikka.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 48 year old M70 is a proven commodity, so it's better than both.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never wanted or lusted for a Tikka of any stripe so I can't comment there.

I went from Ruger to Montana. I don't see any reason to get off my Montana for the time being. Hell, I'll still buy Rugers too.

I have nothing against the Barrett - just don't really need one. I have a Montana 7-08 that shoots great and carries like a fly rod - even with the SWFA on it. My next rifle would likely be a varmint cartridge Montana I think. 223 likely.

Me

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 16bore
My 48 year old M70 is a proven commodity, so it's better than both.

Not for hauling up a mountain!

Edit: but I’m sure it is still a great rifle!

Last edited by prm; 11/21/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For all the “weight” put into ounce counting... why are you talking about shiiiite that weighs more than a Montana... not to mention a mountain ascent or any of kimbers other lighter offerings that still compete/beat with the field craft on price??????

Last edited by Mjduct; 11/21/17.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mjduct
For all the “weight” put into ounce counting... why are you talking about shiiiite that weighs more than a Montana... not to mention a mountain ascent or any of kimbers other lighter offerings that still compete/beat with the field craft on price??????

And....Mic Drop. wink

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Not enough weight difference here for me to change out, My Tikka's are proven shooters and I like the detatchable magazines on My T3x's (a feature the Barrett lacks, i never have been a fan of a blind magazine ).....Hb

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by teal
I have a Montana 7-08 that shoots great and carries like a fly rod......

So do I but never thought of the fly rod analogy, very fitting.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by skeen

And....Mic Drop. wink

Barrett Fieldcraft 308 short action 5 lbs......no?
Montana......5.2 lbs. ???

PS....Smoke could you speak a little louder because I can't see a damn word you posted. 😀

Trystan

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Tikka T3's or T3x's have been consistent performers without tweeks, Acraglas or burning incense. But I do like Kimber Montanas - having more than I care to count. The Montana CM weighed 5# 2 oz. on my postal scale as compared to my Tikka CM - 6# 6oz.. That 20 ounce difference is noticeable but not the end game. While I'm still experimenting with bullets and H4350 and RE-17, the Tikka has been more consistently accurate but not by much.
I cannot comment on the Fieldcraft except to say that Boddington's review in last months Rifleman wasn't effusive with praise. At double the cost of a Tikka, that is something to consider. Everyone has their limits on dealing with different actions, safeties, magazine setup, etc. so that will dictate your final choice. A lightweight rifle has its place, but it can be a tough one to master for accuracy. Choices are a good thing. An extra large safe is even better.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Well there is the fact that you can buy two Tikka T-3's for the price of a Barrett Fieldcraft. The T-3's, I have owned at least, are all proven performers. It is a fact that a lighter rifle will recoil more, but it is also a fact that stock design has a lot to do with recoil. I have never handled a Fieldcraft but it took me a while to get used to the feel of the T-3, now that I have I pick up my 700 or Win 70 and they feel odd to me, however the T-3 now feels right,and I have never been disappointed in the accuracy of a T-3.

Doubt that you would go wrong with either of them. I am not sure that there enough of them out there yet to have a true assessment of them.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by skeen

And....Mic Drop. wink

Barrett Fieldcraft 308 short action 5 lbs......no?
Montana......5.2 lbs. ???

PS....Smoke could you speak a little louder because I can't see a damn word you posted. 😀

Trystan

The FC in 6.5 Creed weighs in at about 5 lbs 3 oz, according to my cheap kitchen scale grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by drover
Well there is the fact that you can buy two Tikka T-3's for the price of a Barrett Fieldcraft.

drover

I got to the point where I realized that I can only hold one at a time, so I'd rather have 1 very nice rifle, rather than 4 economy models (not referring to the T3 specifically). Between the FC and the T3, I'd much rather have the FC. Of course, if I was rifle poor and could have an 8" twist 6.5 Creed and an 8" twist .223 in T3's, or one FC, then I'd probably see the utility in having 2 T3's over 1 FC.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Boddington's a douche. I certainly wouldn't let his bought and paid for opinions sway my decision whether or not to buy one.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Because kimbers have a reputation for shaky quality.

Last edited by BWalker; 11/21/17.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (44mc, 1eyedmule, 160user, 3333vl, 2UP, 308ld, 14 invisible), 1,544 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.