Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Now you have done it! The 10mm boys will be along shortly to tell you have wrong you are...40 makes infinitely more sense outdoors than the big framed 10 if your actually doing anything other than taking selfies with your gun. I now will sit back and wait for the Grizzly Bear to be mentioned.

With the right load, it seems, even 9mm loads can handle a griz. [/quote]

So can an empty can of beer.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There was a decent looking (honest minor holster wear) M&P 40 in the case at the LGS today. Came with one mag and "a box and a half" of ammo, suggesting it was a consignment gun. Price on the tag was $265, which seemed pretty low to me, but whether that's primarily a reflection on the demand for 40s, or something else, remains to be seen. I haven't seen a reasonably new semi-auto that low recently but maybe I'm not paying enough attention.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by NMiller
Originally Posted by viking
Oh flave, I forgot to ask, what load do you carry in the backcountry. What other loads do you carry for the 40.

I'd like to know, too. Thought about trying out the .40 version of the round that Shoemaker used to kill a grizz with a 9 last year, BB outdoorsman I believe.

I carry this in the backcountry.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...-w-180-grain-full-metal-jacket-box-of-50

But I usually stagger it with a 180gr. HP of some variety. As long as they chronograph close to 1K I'm happy. Give or take 100fps.

Dave

It's interesting to note that much of the .40 S&W FMJ is a flat point design. Most 9mm and .45 ACP FMJ is round nose. I suppose the round nose is to accommodate older handguns that might be picky about feeding. I would think the flat point .40 FMJ would transmit more shock and penetrate straighter than the 9/.45 round noses.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If im not mistaken, the flat point was so the round would fit 9mm length magazine.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Simply put, the 40 is the jack of all trades, master of none. If one wants more capacity, lighter recoil or a very compact pistol, one chooses the 9mm. If one wants a big bore, one chooses the 45 acp. To me the 40 doesn't have the strengths of both the 9 and the 45, it has the weaknesses of both.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you have 20 minutes this is a pretty interesting video. https://youtu.be/LTTDgZZZFa0

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've got handguns in most of the popular chamberings, 22 rimfire, 9mm, 357 Mag, 357 Sig, 40SW, 44Mag, 45ACP, 45 Colt.

The 40 is pretty much in the middle ground.

I could get by pretty easily with a 22rf, and a 40SW.

The 180gr at 1000 fps is no slouch, and I like the ability to stuff 15+1 into a G22 size pistol.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Simply put, the 40 is the jack of all trades, master of none. If one wants more capacity, lighter recoil or a very compact pistol, one chooses the 9mm. If one wants a big bore, one chooses the 45 acp. To me the 40 doesn't have the strengths of both the 9 and the 45, it has the weaknesses of both.

Your right, that is simply put.

But true.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
If im not mistaken, the flat point was so the round would fit 9mm length magazine.

That would be correct from what I have read from several sources.

The flat point does do better with a hole in it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Actually, the flat point does better (more damage) that round nose period. RN was used for feeding in the early days of semi-autos. Flat Point or JHP are better at pretty much everything.

Mark in GA

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So “Is the 40 SW dead?” Ordinally rank the sales of the top 3 auto handgun cartridges. Not sure of the order but I am thinking it’s the 9mm, 45acp, and 40. How far behind is the next highest in sales? If the 40 is dead what replaced it in sales? Nothing.

OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by smallfry
So “Is the 40 SW dead?” Ordinally rank the sales of the top 3 auto handgun cartridges. Not sure of the order but I am thinking it’s the 9mm, 45acp, and 40. How far behind is the next highest in sales? If the 40 is dead what replaced it in sales? Nothing.

I thought the feds were the only ones buying up 40 ammo

380 is probably on the list somewhere

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

That same Cabela's Gun library manager said most traded for a 9mm or the .45 ACP. For various reasons. The snappy recoil of the .40 was the main thing they did not like in the .40 S&W. They did not shoot as well with the .40 S&W. Novices and experienced shooters alike.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by OdT

I thought the feds were the only ones buying up 40 ammo

380 is probably on the list somewhere

Yeah, that's by far the most popular round for pants pocket guns. You have to wonder why they don't make enough of the stuff so as to be more competitive with 9mm in price. Maybe those who carry such guns tend not to do much shooting.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Is the .40 dead? no, its just less popular than it has ever been but it will not go extinct.

It still has the same advantages over other service pistol calibers that it had when it was introduced:

More energy delivered to the target in standard loads over the 9 or .45
Better intermediate barrier penetration than either (which is why it is still in favor with law enforcement).
Fits in 9mm platform sized pistols and magazines.
Much higher capacity than a .45 pistol of equal size.
Less cost to shoot than the .45.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BamBam
If you have 20 minutes this is a pretty interesting video. https://youtu.be/LTTDgZZZFa0

At least he shot some meat. He also established what hunters have known for years. Bore diameter and bullet weight absolve many sins of bullet construction.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Seems to me that the small pistol for concealed carry has caused the biggest resurgence for the 9mm, and the going away from the 40. Also, for target shooting I think it's more fun to either shoot a full sized 9, or a nostalgic 1911 in .45, or even most revolvers, than it is to shoot the 40 s&w.

Now I'll agree with deflave that a .40 in a full size pistol would be a good choice for an outdoors/trail/utility open carry handgun that generally comes in a lighter package than a magnum revolver.
And with others who condone the virtues of the powerful.40 in a full size duty weapon.

I think that I could have a use for one as a truck gun or for home defense.

But I'd like to see that guy in the video simulate a scenario where he was shot in the left arm or was otherwise forced to shoot one handed from around the corner of some kind of protection from gunfire that he had afforded himself instead of assuming he'd be able to always take his stand-up-straight two-hand stance when someone might be firing an AR at him. And then see if the recoil with one hand made a difference between accuracy for the 9 and 40.
I realize that his arms are bigger than a ham, but still...
And that video was made with law enforcement in mind, not your average Joe who might have a concealed carry license and can't always hide a larger gun.

Last edited by DollarShort; 11/26/17.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Nope.

Last edited by WTM45; 11/26/17.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DollarShort

But I'd like to see that guy in the video simulate a scenario where he was shot in the left arm or was otherwise forced to shoot one handed from around the corner of some kind of protection from gunfire that he had afforded himself instead of assuming he'd be able to always take his stand-up-straight two-hand stance when someone might be firing an AR at him. And then see if the recoil with one hand made a difference between accuracy for the 9 and 40.

Excellent point.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
🔨☠🐴

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,226 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,920
Posts18,479,752
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.