Page 7 of 21 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 20 21
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
They tested the 260gr Speer here.

https://www.realguns.com/loads/460Rowland.htm/

(no cast bullets listed here)

I like using Longshot powder in the .460 Rowland myself.

The velocities go way down with the heavies. The case and OAL is only so much.

200gr to 230gr seem to be the sweat spot.

My go to load for jacketed 230gr XTP and 225 Hard Cast is 10.7gr of LongShot. Federal LP Match primers. Below maximum, but very accurate. Feels Good and the compensator works very well.

Note: The Colt Gold Cup Trophy I use for the conversion does better than their gun. Using my Ransom Rest will top their groups at 50 yards instead of 50 feet, shooting 7 rounds.
In less than four minutes later, you can go back to shooting your .45 ACP or Super Loads and vice versa.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I don't claim to have any special clues, but I carry a Kahr for the same reason he said most of those guys are carrying Glocks.
Does it work? Can you hit with it? If yes to those two questions; you're good to go!

All of that,..but I was alluding to the simplicity of the pistol's operation. Neither the Glock or the Kahr have any extraneous safety geegaws to occupy one's mind during a high stress situation.

The day I went shopping for a dedicated carry pistol I wasn't concerned with the price. (within reason) But Bud's had the Kahr CT9's for under $300 at that time and I couldn't see how it could be improved on regardless of how much money one wanted to spend.

I bought the Kahr and two cases of Federal 9mm 115 fmj's for the price of the Glock.

I have nothing against Glocks. But the Kahr is just as effective for much less money.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Kahr's are good pistols.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Gibby
Kahr's are good pistols.

They are. More prone to putting out the occasional lemon than is Glock, for example, but most Kahr pistols are reliable, and the design is excellent.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
...I have nothing against Glocks. But the Kahr is just as effective for much less money.

I'm curious Bristoe, did you have any "learning curve" issues with the long trigger reset? Short-stroking follow up shots in rapid fire seems to be an issue for me when I try shooting my wife's Kahr. Since she's become enamored with the Shield, she rarely shoots the Kahr anymore which is a bad thing.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by gmoats
...I have nothing against Glocks. But the Kahr is just as effective for much less money.

I'm curious Bristoe, did you have any "learning curve" issues with the long trigger reset? Short-stroking follow up shots in rapid fire seems to be an issue for me when I try shooting my wife's Kahr. Since she's become enamored with the Shield, she rarely shoots the Kahr anymore which is a bad thing.

No. Maybe I overcompensate on the trigger release. But trigger reset has never been an issue with me for any firearm. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I think people who experience trigger reset problems on a DAO pistol have spent a lot of time shooting conventional double action auto pistols.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I don't claim to have any special clues, but I carry a Kahr for the same reason he said most of those guys are carrying Glocks.
Does it work? Can you hit with it? If yes to those two questions; you're good to go!

All of that,..but I was alluding to the simplicity of the pistol's operation. Neither the Glock or the Kahr have any extraneous safety geegaws to occupy one's mind during a high stress situation.

The day I went shopping for a dedicated carry pistol I wasn't concerned with the price. (within reason) But Bud's had the Kahr CT9's for under $300 at that time and I couldn't see how it could be improved on regardless of how much money one wanted to spend.

I bought the Kahr and two cases of Federal 9mm 115 fmj's for the price of the Glock.

I have nothing against Glocks. But the Kahr is just as effective for much less money.

Pretty much my thought process on why I chose the Ruger LC9s pro as a carry gun, though I also ordered a second one for my wife and a glock 17 to have a full size 9. A decent striker fired auto just makes too much sense as a carry gun.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

When you are transitioning from a double action revolver to the Kahr, short stroking isn't an issue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Shooting a Kahr "slowly" (for lack of a better word) to try to get the best groups can lead to short stroking when you then switch to a more self defense oriented style of shooting. When I got my first Kahr I naturally wanted to see how it did from a bench and then off the bench I fired with a slow, careful trigger pull to determine POI from a standing position.

But then when I tried to shoot quickly and accurately my trigger pull was often only about 3/4 of what was needed to fire the pistol. It didn't take long to learn to use a smooth but quick, deliberate pull through just like one uses with a DA revolver. That doesn't produce the best bragging groups but that's not the point.

Added: which is kind of interesting because in my experience with four Kahrs, they are among the most accurate pistols you can find. When bench rested those little guns have outshot a few of my full size pistols including a Beretta 92 and a Ruger SR1911.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
These folk's are good people.

https://bhspringsolutions.com/

They have some new products that might interest you. Some new stuff for Glocks.

Get two free recoil springs by using " 2FreeRecoilSprings" in the voucher code box at check out. Start out at FREE RECOIL SPRING tab.

You can also use another voucher code "BHVet10" at checkout to save an additional 10%. If you are a Vet.

Their springs are better than Wolf. Check them out.

I have no affiliation to them. But I like their products.

IC B3

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by g5m
Question here for all you clueful folks:

Have you found a good true pocket 9mm pistol? The Glock 43 is a tad big for inside the pocket but can be made to work. So anything smaller that the cluefuls like?

What about the Ruger LCP? Mine's been reliable and it's about as compact as they come.

Just an fyi: Palmetto State Armory has the LCP2 on sale at $!99.99 plus shipping- which should be about -$15-$20.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wow! That's a great deal on the LCP 2. I've been carrying my old LCP 380 as a BUG for years. Might be a good time to update.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by g5m
Originally Posted by g5m
Question here for all you clueful folks:

Have you found a good true pocket 9mm pistol? The Glock 43 is a tad big for inside the pocket but can be made to work. So anything smaller that the cluefuls like?

What about the Ruger LCP? Mine's been reliable and it's about as compact as they come.

Just an fyi: Palmetto State Armory has the LCP2 on sale at $!99.99 plus shipping- which should be about -$15-$20.

That is a good clue. I'm feeling a little more Clueful

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'm feeling a bit more clueful myself since I got my 1911 10mm back from my 'Smith three weeks ago, I can't put it down or carry anything else, he put a really nice Cadillac custom front strap checkering job on it for me.

I've read and saw u-tube videos of 'experts' proclaiming the 10mm and any 1911 to be terrible for SD, I don't get it?????

If I'm gripping the gun to fire the thumb safety is off, it has no choice as I close my right hand grip to fire, it's where I park my right thumb, the 10mm in a 5" all steel gun is a pleasure to shoot, even with 200 grains at 1240 fps, not to mention the Lehigh Defense 140 gr extreme penetrators at 1450.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by gunner500
I'm feeling a bit more clueful myself since I got my 1911 10mm back from my 'Smith three weeks ago, I can't put it down or carry anything else, he put a really nice Cadillac custom front strap checkering job on it for me.

I've read and saw u-tube videos of 'experts' proclaiming the 10mm and any 1911 to be terrible for SD, I don't get it?????

If I'm gripping the gun to fire the thumb safety is off, it has no choice as I close my right hand grip to fire, it's where I park my right thumb, the 10mm in a 5" all steel gun is a pleasure to shoot, even with 200 grains at 1240 fps, not to mention the Lehigh Defense 140 gr extreme penetrators at 1450.

Only today’s younger generation has problems with safety’s!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Gotta be, the experts say you cant train past the thumb safety, would one of them want to test that theory?

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Kahrs are good pistols but in the tiny 380's they are more prone to problems than the others. I have had 3 of their micro 380's out of 3 only one has run completely trouble free. In more than 2 dozen glocks of all calibers and generations over many years exactly one a used model 30 ever had a problem of failure to close on a cartridge. Yes they suck, dont fit my hand, dont point right, cheap plastic sights, no pride of ownership, inaccurate POS guns, which fire with great regularity and hit with acceptable accuracy.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

Agreed. Assuming you only train with a 1911, and have established a 100% solid motor memory as you describe, a 1911 is an excellent self-defense tool. Otherwise, not so much.

It's still an extra step that's necessary before it can be deployed, and if you are depending, even a tiny bit, on any level of presence of mind in the midst of a life and death struggle, there is a chance (no matter how small) that when you squeeze the trigger you will feel an immovable object behind your trigger finger, rather than a breaking sear.

That said, this argument can also be made against a pump shotgun, a Model 94 Winchester, and AR-15, and on and on, and none of these are bad choices at all for defending your life (They are very good choices, in fact). When one points out the contrasts between a 1911 and a striker fired handgun, one is not saying that one is bad and the other good. One is just somewhat better. But when it comes to making a choice for a carry gun, somewhat better can sometimes amount to the difference between life and death.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Almost bought a Fancy Talo Glock 17 a while back. I am standing at the gun counter fiddling around with the mag release, racking the slide and releasing the slide. Over and Over. After a while the salesman asks "what are you doing". I just gave the gun back to him. Told him it did not fit my hands. I have big hands, but had to contort my hand to much to go though the moves.

I am still Glockless. But I did try.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Agreed. Assuming you only train with a 1911, and have established a 100% solid motor memory as you describe, a 1911 is an excellent self-defense tool. Otherwise, not so much.

It's still an extra step that's necessary before it can be deployed, and if you are depending, even a tiny bit, on any level of presence of mind in the midst of a life and death struggle, there is a chance (no matter how small) that when you squeeze the trigger you will feel an immovable object behind your trigger finger, rather than a breaking sear.

That said, the argument can also be made for a pump shotgun, a Model 94, and on and on, and none of these are bad choices for defending your life. When one points out the contrasts between a 1911 and a striker fired handgun, one is not saying that one is bad and the other good. One is just somewhat better. But when it comes to making a choice for a carry gun, somewhat better can sometimes mean the difference between life and death.

Agreed and understood TRH, but, in my case, pulling, and DA fast firing my Sig 226 40 I can't hit a damn barn door with a handful of shelled corn, the single action trigger caress from a 1911 is where it will have to remain for me, now, having the opportunity to thumb back and SA fire my Sig 226 is an all together different matter, it's a fine gun, accurate, with plenty of capacity.

Trump Won!
Page 7 of 21 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1badf350, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 1minute, 52 invisible), 2,931 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,955
Posts18,519,375
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.