Hop To
Page 8 of 21 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 20 21
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Gibby
Originally Posted by gunner500
I'm feeling a bit more clueful myself since I got my 1911 10mm back from my 'Smith three weeks ago, I can't put it down or carry anything else, he put a really nice Cadillac custom front strap checkering job on it for me.

I've read and saw u-tube videos of 'experts' proclaiming the 10mm and any 1911 to be terrible for SD, I don't get it?????

If I'm gripping the gun to fire the thumb safety is off, it has no choice as I close my right hand grip to fire, it's where I park my right thumb, the 10mm in a 5" all steel gun is a pleasure to shoot, even with 200 grains at 1240 fps, not to mention the Lehigh Defense 140 gr extreme penetrators at 1450.

Almost bought a Fancy Talo Glock 17 a while back. I am standing at the gun counter fiddling around with the mag release, racking the slide and releasing the slide. After a while the salesman asks "what are you doing". I just gave the gun back to him. Told him it did not fit my hands. I have big hands, but had to contort my hand to much to go though the moves.

I am still Glockless.

LOL, one of my nephews brought out his Glock 17 and 19 to the farm last spring, I knew then how damn old I was getting ;]

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a kimber ultra carry that I've used for years. Recently I picked up a M&P shield .45 I'm starting to really like. Whatever you like that goes bang is probably fine. Unless I'm in town I usually open carry or OTWB under my jacket. People get too wrapped up in what's the best when the reality is there has probably been more folks shot with a hipoint than a glock 43 wink .

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Is it true that Hi Points are only sold on Saturday Nights at a discount? I am clueless on that information.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
People get too wrapped up in what's the best .

Maybe so. Good enough is almost always good enough. But then what would we talk about here at the Fire?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Some people just can't exchange a quarter for a jawbreaker from a simple vending machine.
The 1911/1911A1 safety is less complex than brushing one's teeth.

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That's the way I see it WTM.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
When practice shooting, involve the safety manipulation in the process. Over and over. It becomes second nature. Locked and loaded is no big deal. Being able to manipulate the safety without having to change your grip to shoot is. The web of your shooting hand can be trained to do this with the narrow grip frame of the 1911. It was designed that way. Hundreds of men tried and tested the design working with John Browning. It is not a Luger grip by design for any other reason. The design points like no other to boot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When practice shooting, involve the safety manipulation in the process. Over and over. It becomes second nature. Locked and loaded is no big deal. Being able to manipulate the safety without having to change your grip to shoot is. The web of your shooting hand can be trained to do this with the narrow grip frame of the 1911. It was designed that way. Hundreds of men tried and tested the design working with John Browning. It is not a Luger grip by design for any other reason. The design points like no other to boot.

My burn-in process for that was to never disengage the safety if the pistol was below 45 degrees and to always disengage it when the pistol was raised higher. Worked for me, might not work for somebody else.

Last edited by SargeMO; 12/03/17.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
there are a whole lot of people out there that are talented beyond your wildest imagination, shooting aspirens out of the air in the blink of an eye with their trusty 45’s. Yet because there are so many dufus types in the military, much of competition shooting, and law enforcement those agencies and competitions have had to switch over to striker fired guns of plastic and other low quality materials. It’s a sad world we live in.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
jimmyp, cost is THE much bigger factor when choosing issued sidearms. That's the real reason behind the changes. Even when cost is not a factor changes can move the scale towards simplicity. Example, the Marines most recent 1911A1 choice and issue...

Any type of action (single, DA/SA, striker fired, DAO, LEM, etc...) can be taught and used successfully. The proof is there in both military and gov't/local LE results. Most often systems that work just fine get changed because of simple cost and logistics.

But there are more issues for a civilian to consider than "shootability" in a personally owned CCW piece. We all travel that road.

And... I can't stomach to watch that video in the OP.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Cost is and was a factor.

It was cheaper to produce a M1 Carbine than a 1911 back then.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SargeMO

My burn-in process for that was to never disengage the safety if the pistol was below 45 degrees and to always disengage it when the pistol was raised higher. Worked for me, might not work for somebody else.

Geometry was never my thing.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp
there are a whole lot of people out there that are talented beyond your wildest imagination, shooting aspirens out of the air in the blink of an eye with their trusty 45’s. Yet because there are so many dufus types in the military, much of competition shooting, and law enforcement those agencies and competitions have had to switch over to striker fired guns of plastic and other low quality materials. It’s a sad world we live in.

The military chose a thumb safety.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WTM45
Some people just can't exchange a quarter for a jawbreaker from a simple vending machine.

Easy enough to get a jawbreaker with a quarter at the store, brush your teeth by yourself in the bathroom or swipe a safety at the range.

All those activities become 1000 times more difficult when you find yourself fighting for your life, perhaps in the middle of the night when you're half awake and your vision is compromised.

I have no intention of putting myself in a fight for my life to discover if I've mastered the safety or not when I can simply and safely eliminate it.

Maybe I'm in the presence of master gunfighters and will have to bow to your expertise.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Easy enough to get a jawbreaker with a quarter at the store, brush your teeth by yourself in the bathroom or swipe a safety at the range.

All those activities become 1000 times more difficult when you find yourself fighting for your life, perhaps in the middle of the night when you're half awake and your vision is compromised.

I have no intention of putting myself in a fight for my life to discover if I've mastered the safety or not when I can simply and safely eliminate it.

Maybe I'm in the presence of master gunfighters and will have to bow to your expertise.

Well said. No way, if John Browning were alive today, he'd look at a Glock and say, "That thing is only missing a thumb safety to be perfect." He'd likely see the genius in a design that eliminates the need for one.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Of course, once the fight is on things can go against plan. Never found a 1911A1 or M9 safety to be a problem getting into action. Not afraid of the Glock trigger at all. But I have never relied on a mechanical safety as a crutch against proper handling either.

I prefer my old classic Sig P220 DA/SA now. I have a good one that is just fine in DA, awesome in SA. Firing it is totally intentional, never accidental.

It is an individual choice. Those who choose the 1911 platform find themselves in good company, so do Glock owners.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If I just woke up and grabbed a Glock, I'd probably shoot myself in the foot. That is only if I was pointing the damn thing in the correct direction. Without coffee first.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Well said. No way, if John Browning were alive today, he'd look at a Glock and say, "That thing is only missing a thumb safety to be perfect." He'd likely see the turd for what it is and flush the toilet.

Fixed that for you...

Actually he might like elements of the design, but he'd rework them to fit the human hand...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I just woke up and grabbed a Glock, I'd probably shoot myself in the foot. That is only if I was pointing the damn thing in the correct direction. Without coffee first.

A beagle going nuts in the middle of the night wakes me up as well and thoroughly as coffee.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I woke up in the night and all I had was a Glock I'd likely wanna shoot myself... grin

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 8 of 21 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (06hunter59, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,952
Posts18,519,295
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.