-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 21 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 20 21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know how I will react in the stress of a gun fight. I do know it is not unusual for people to forget simple basic tasks when under the stress of do or die. I figure any step that I can eliminate might give me the edge to survive. If the ugliest simplest to operate gun lets me live to stroke my pretty guns at home, I'll take ugly every time. I'd rather not have somebody opine at my funeral, "Well he have got is brains blown out, but he sure went out in style."

So I carry an ugly double action revolver when concerned about large 4 legged miscreants, and an ugly striker fired self shucker when concerned about 2 legged miscreants. I like to keep things simple.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
You need to develop the motor memory of keeping the index finger along the slide till ready to shoot. That's the manual safety on a Glock.

The 'memory' thing works for thumb safeties also. I'm continually surprised that such a basic level of competency can be so confounding to some. Who hits the mag release when it comes time for a reload? Who inserts the mag? Is the Glock a crew-served weapon to you fumblers?

Has a single person here suggested that the thumb safety on a 1911 was in any way confounding? I must have missed that.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
You need to develop the motor memory of keeping the index finger along the slide till ready to shoot. That's the manual safety on a Glock.

The 'memory' thing works for thumb safeties also. I'm continually surprised that such a basic level of competency can be so confounding to some. Who hits the mag release when it comes time for a reload? Who inserts the mag? Is the Glock a crew-served weapon to you fumblers?

Has a single person here suggested that the thumb safety on a 1911 was in any way confounding? I must have missed that.

If I'm reading you wrong and you have complete faith in your ability to flip a thumb safety then so be it. 1911? I never mentioned one.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's a "clue"; thumb safeties suck and 9mm is the universal caliber.

abusus non tollit usum
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Flipping the safety down on a 1911 is as natural clicking a pen. And I am a Glock guy.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have said before. During my practice sessions, I incorporate disengaging the safety.

Depending on the gun I carry, the holster and the cloths I wear, I run through my mind what the steps are to get ready to fire. Every time I pack. I continue to run through my head from time to time while I am packing. Always being aware that I am packing and what steps to take. It is not that tough to do.

I like thumb break holsters. If I am using one at the time, that goes through my mental exercises also.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG

If I'm reading you wrong and you have complete faith in your ability to flip a thumb safety then so be it. 1911? I never mentioned one.

Acceptance of the well documented reality that, for all human beings, muscle memory and fine motor coordination can be adversely affected by sudden and unexpected deadly threats, is a million miles away from saying that the person stating that fact is confounded by how a thumb safety operates.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I have a nice 1911. I have various revolvers. I've shot them all fairly extensively. The Kahr is my primary defense handgun because I can shoot it double action better than I can shoot my revolvers double action. Also, it's light, flat, and conceals well.

The 1911 would be better for knockin' somebody in the head with. But other than that, the Kahr is a much better personal defense tool.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by viking
Flipping the safety down on a 1911 is as natural clicking a pen. And I am a Glock guy.

Agreed. It's well positioned to maximize the naturalness of the motion, thus minimizing the chance of flubbing it, even when muscle memory and fine motor coordination are adversely affected by sudden emergency. It lends itself well to intuitive operation. Minimizing isn't eliminating, though. Better, then, not to have that additional step between drawing the gun and having a functioning trigger. You can argue that safety concerns outweigh this benefit, but you can't reasonably argue that an additional step between draw and fire doesn't increase the chance of a screw up at times when fine motor coordination and muscle memory have a tendency to go out the window.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Acceptance of the well documented reality that, for all human beings, muscle memory and fine motor coordination can be adversely affected by sudden and unexpected deadly threats, is a million miles away from saying that the person stating that fact is confounded by how a thumb safety operates.

Call it what you want, but when you squeeze the trigger and feel that immovable object behind your trigger finger I'll call you confounded.

...there is a chance (no matter how small) that when you squeeze the trigger you will feel an immovable object behind your trigger finger, rather than a breaking sear.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG

Call it what you want, but when you squeeze the trigger and feel that immovable object behind your trigger finger I'll call you confounded.

...there is a chance (no matter how small) that when you squeeze the trigger you will feel an immovable object behind your trigger finger, rather than a breaking sear.

I'm not the one twisting words here.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JOG

For trh, there’s a chance a meteor will fall through your house 🏡 it’s happened.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If your draw has an “additional step” to manipulate the thumb safety, your draw is wrong.

Of course, I’ve said this before, and posted pics demonstrating why, but he’s not going to listen.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Some people just can't get past the argument against manual safeties.

It simply is not true for a seasoned 1911 shooter that practices proper methods. You can make up all the excuses you want to propagate that plastic gun. The reasons are getting ridiculous. How many times do we have to hear this bu!!$h!t ?

I can't count the number of young shooters that touted the same lame excuses, that after years of shooting they got them a 1911 of some kind. The used gun counters are full of plastic guns.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Gibby

after years of shooting they got them a 1911 of some kind.

I bought the 1911 first.

I'm quite sure I could embark on a prolonged practice session which encompassed months of training and several hundred dollars worth of ammunition and learn to shoot the 1911 as well as I could shoot the Kahr first time out.

But the 1911 would still feel like I was carrying a brick on my hip everywhere I went.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have anything against plastic guns - I'm considering a M&P Compact 2.0, and if I go that route, it will probably have a thumb safety. I don't have any reservations about a thumb safety and having one allows me to do whatever I can to improve the trigger.

Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JOG
I don't have anything against plastic guns - I'm considering a M&P Compact 2.0, and if I go that route, it will probably have a thumb safety. I don't have any reservations about a thumb safety and having one allows me to do whatever I can to improve the trigger.

This. If I could have a lightweight, reliable 13-14 shot .40 with great ergos, a top-notch trigger and a 1911 style safety, I'd consider it an all around farm/woods/carry gun. I carried a 1911 for years so thumbing off a safety is practically autopilot for me.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
If your draw has an “additional step” to manipulate the thumb safety, your draw is wrong.

Of course, I’ve said this before, and posted pics demonstrating why, but he’s not going to listen.

You're speaking of training philosophy. The physical reality, however, remains that if that safety isn't flipped off between the initiation of draw and the squeezing of the trigger, it ain't going bang. No way around this by reference to training philosophy talking points.

If you like a thumb safety for some reason, and it makes you feel comfortable to believe it's possible to train such as to 100% eliminate any possibility of flubbing it under extreme stress, please be my guest and retain that fiction.

PS As I always say, there's nothing wrong with a thumb safety on a defensive sidearm. It's just that there are better, and more certain, options out there nowadays.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Originally Posted by JOG

This. If I could have a lightweight, reliable 13-14 shot .40 with great ergos, a top-notch trigger and a 1911 style safety, I'd consider it an all around farm/woods/carry gun. I carried a 1911 for years so thumbing off a safety is practically autopilot for me.

The trigger is an open question, but 13+1, 25.3 oz:

[Linked Image]

Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bless your heart.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 10 of 21 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1badf350, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 49 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,955
Posts18,519,359
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.