Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 21 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 20 21
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does anyone foresee the day when active safeties are removed from AR's, bolt rifles, shotguns, etc?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Acceptance of the well documented reality that, for all human beings, muscle memory and fine motor coordination can be adversely affected by sudden and unexpected deadly threats, is a million miles away from saying that the person stating that fact is confounded by how a thumb safety operates.
There is no such thing as muscle memory, it's a figment of the imagination. You either train sufficiently, or you don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
Does anyone foresee the day when active safeties are removed from AR's, bolt rifles, shotguns, etc?
At the very least, a safety on a trigger cocker brings an extra level of safety for re-holstering; which is where many incidents happen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG

No because they aren't carried in a holster to cover the trigger nor are those shooters likely to tolerate a DA only trigger pull.

How and why I use a self defense handgun is different than how and why I use handguns and rifles for hunting and range use. Hence I'm willing to make concessions and compromises for a self defense guns that are different than the concessions and compromises I use for hunting and range guns.

I've spent over 20 years engineering industrial life safety systems and studying fatal industrial accidents, prior to that I spent five years in manufacturing. What is absolutely clear to me from both an engineering and operations standpoint is the simpler you make a piece of equipment, procedure, process, action etc, the more reliable and safer it is when the chit hits the fan.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Bless your heart.

Back atcha, slick.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG

No, and for the simple reason that they are not carried in such a way as to preclude unintended engagement of the trigger, i.e., they aren't carried in a holster where the trigger is covered. With a handgun carried in a holster, we have the luxury of not needing a manual thumb safety for the purpose of preventing the trigger being unintentionally engaged during routine carry.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Acceptance of the well documented reality that, for all human beings, muscle memory and fine motor coordination can be adversely affected by sudden and unexpected deadly threats, is a million miles away from saying that the person stating that fact is confounded by how a thumb safety operates.
There is no such thing as muscle memory, it's a figment of the imagination. You either train sufficiently, or you don't.

It's a term that means what you state, i.e., that you've trained enough so that it becomes second nature (and please don't object that there is only one nature, so there can't be a second one ... it's a figure of speech like, oh, let's see, what's a good example ... oh yes, like muscle memory). No one is proposing that muscles have brains. Please get serious.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by JOG

No because they aren't carried in a holster to cover the trigger ...

I see you beat me to it.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Place your foot on the brake before putting your truck/car in gear without thinking about it. Even when you are in a hurry.You ever mess up?

No, it never happens.

Maybe if you had two many cocktails.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
What I find interesting is that anybody cares to listen to this fat neckbeard. The guy has zero real world experience that I know of. No LE experience, no military time as a trigger puller. Nada.

He is simply another ewetube goober with a camera and an opinion. He threw up a green sheet in his basement and hit the record button, and people tune into him like he is some sort of subject matter expert.

It certainly goes to show that you don't have to have any personal subject matter expertise about anything, just sound and act like you do, and the gullible and clueless will follow.

crazy

I had similar feelings when I watched the initial video. The guy was annoying and certainly will never be the on-line eye-candy for the tactical crowd. However, one guy that I have deep respect for is Tom Given. On another web site he posted the following:

"At the Rangemaster Instructor Reunion & Conference we recently held in Shawnee, Oklahoma, John Correia presented an outstanding lecture on what he has observed in watching 12,000 gunfights on video. That’s right, 12,000. Surveillance cameras are everywhere now, and that fact brings us many, many videotaped violent incidents to study.

Noted trainer Karl Rehn (KR Training, near Austin, TX), attended the conference and he has written up his thoughts on John’s presentation. You can see them at http://blog.krtraining.com/even-more...or-conference/"

I guess that the guy sits around watching videos of gunfights all day and draws conclusions from what he's observed----some are probably bs but some are just statistical realities, i.e. less than 8 times out of over 12,000 observations was a reload ever performed during the action that had any effect on the outcome. Interesting. I found the link worth watching---not sure I'm up to putting up with watching Correia's youtube channel yet, but he might have some stuff there worth watching also.
JMO-YMMV

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems to me the first step would be to get some instruction and become "clueful" for yourself, before worrying about whether or not you're packing the cool gun.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Seems to me the first step would be to get some instruction and become "clueful" for yourself, before worrying about whether or not you're packing the cool gun.

Are you on drugs? Who are you talking to?

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
If you're going to play the nostalgia game why turn the clock back a mere 106 years when you can turn it back 144 years? We can have a much safer revolver that uses "holy black", cast bullets and you don't have to worry about one of those new fangled magazines dropping out or worrying about whether you can rely on it to feed or eject? If you can't finish a gunfight with five shots you just have no business carrying a gun.

You want class, this is class

[Linked Image]

Yes, that is CLASS!

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Are you on drugs? Who are you talking to?
They may have been wearing off...when I typed that...or were they kicking in...I can never tell grin

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by Gibby

after years of shooting they got them a 1911 of some kind.

I bought the 1911 first.

I'm quite sure I could embark on a prolonged practice session which encompassed months of training and several hundred dollars worth of ammunition and learn to shoot the 1911 as well as I could shoot the Kahr first time out.

But the 1911 would still feel like I was carrying a brick on my hip everywhere I went.

Good grief it ain’t that difficult to flick a frickin thumb safety off.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jwp475

I'll let Mark Wahlberg's brother straighten you out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gmoats
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
What I find interesting is that anybody cares to listen to this fat neckbeard. The guy has zero real world experience that I know of. No LE experience, no military time as a trigger puller. Nada.

He is simply another ewetube goober with a camera and an opinion. He threw up a green sheet in his basement and hit the record button, and people tune into him like he is some sort of subject matter expert.

It certainly goes to show that you don't have to have any personal subject matter expertise about anything, just sound and act like you do, and the gullible and clueless will follow.

crazy

I had similar feelings when I watched the initial video. The guy was annoying and certainly will never be the on-line eye-candy for the tactical crowd. However, one guy that I have deep respect for is Tom Given. On another web site he posted the following:

"At the Rangemaster Instructor Reunion & Conference we recently held in Shawnee, Oklahoma, John Correia presented an outstanding lecture on what he has observed in watching 12,000 gunfights on video. That’s right, 12,000. Surveillance cameras are everywhere now, and that fact brings us many, many videotaped violent incidents to study.

Noted trainer Karl Rehn (KR Training, near Austin, TX), attended the conference and he has written up his thoughts on John’s presentation. You can see them at http://blog.krtraining.com/even-more...or-conference/"

I guess that the guy sits around watching videos of gunfights all day and draws conclusions from what he's observed----some are probably bs but some are just statistical realities, i.e. less than 8 times out of over 12,000 observations was a reload ever performed during the action that had any effect on the outcome. Interesting. I found the link worth watching---not sure I'm up to putting up with watching Correia's youtube channel yet, but he might have some stuff there worth watching also.
JMO-YMMV

What... This was a serious thread by the OP?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

I'll let Mark Wahlberg's brother straighten you out.

I don’t need straightening out I’ve been flicking that thumb safety since 1974 and never once hand a single solitary problem.

Don’t have a problem with any type of safety

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
During my tenure as a Deputy Sheriff, I carried a Para Ordnance P-14 for two years. I drew down on 4 people (4 separate incidents) who were holding firearms. My pistol was out, thumb safety off, finger along the frame before I realized I had drawn my duty gun. Thankfully, I have been shot at only once, and the chances were slim that the shooter was going to hit us. He was an MHMR patient off of his meds. He had run his entire family out of the house by waving a pistol around and firing recklessly. When we pulled up I bailed out of my car, having placed the engine block between me and him (hopefully) because he was shooting from inside the house in our general direction. I found I was holding my P-14, thumb safety off, finger along side the frame, sights aligned in general with the front of the house, again...before I realized I had done it. No one was shot so it was a happy outcome. If you want to carry a 1911 platform you have to practice practice practice. I spent my own time and money to attend semi-automatic transition schools. I estimate that we drew and fired, from the secured holster, over 1000 times during each of the schools. We not only worked on getting safeties off, etc., we also cleared malfunctions until we were sick of it. Time crunches supplied some of the stress, and an overload of competitive testosterone supplied the rest of the stress.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by Gibby

after years of shooting they got them a 1911 of some kind.

I bought the 1911 first.

I'm quite sure I could embark on a prolonged practice session which encompassed months of training and several hundred dollars worth of ammunition and learn to shoot the 1911 as well as I could shoot the Kahr first time out.

But the 1911 would still feel like I was carrying a brick on my hip everywhere I went.

Try using a Lightweight Commander. You might like. Many do.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Page 11 of 21 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 22250rem, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,949
Posts18,519,233
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.