Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Rimfire okay.

Centerfire, no thanks. You can buy quality used rifles at a similar price everyday of the week.

I've got lots of nice high end quality rifles. I wanted a beater for the Truck or the UTV at the Ranch. The Ruger American fills that niche perfectly for me. If it gets scratched or beat up, I won't give a schitt. YMMV.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have a predator in 22-250 and I can't get anything to shoot good. I have tried factory ammo, reloads, 40 grainers up to 64 grainers and nothing is under an inch at 100. The best thing that I have found is 50 grain Nosler CT Ballistic Tip with H380. Not sure if the barrel is the issue or twist rate, any suggestions. I have shot it about 100 times.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pappy 348 - " Might be the last rifle I buy, actually, as I think all the holes are filled (assuming I don't dream up any more holes🤔)." Have to agree with you. Like looking at a favorite wool
sweater...before long "HOLES" just start appearing. Minds starts wandering and muttering "just one more to cover this or that". Homesteader

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Rimfire okay.

Centerfire, no thanks. You can buy quality used rifles at a similar price everyday of the week.

Almost every gun show I go to has used Savage rifles for sale. Picked up an FXP3 in .243 with the intent to rebarrel to 6.5. Shot the donor and that was the end of that.

Much as I would like to like the American, my experience with an early model was less than pleasing. Dad bought it and gave it to me. Probably shot 7 different types of factory ammo through it and none grouped acceptably. Sold the rifle after Dad passed. I'll stick with the cheap used Savage (non-Axis) rifles.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Young fella was showing me his RAR 243 compact this evening and all I could think was "damn, make this thing a 6.5 CM and put it in a regular stock and I might have to have one". Little rascal was slinging 100 NPT's to boot.

Paging Shortactionsmoker........paging Shortactionsmoker.......

Could be a neat little sleeper rig.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 16bore
Young fella was showing me his RAR 243 compact this evening and all I could think was "damn, make this thing a 6.5 CM and put it in a regular stock and I might have to have one". Little rascal was slinging 100 NPT's to boot.

Paging Shortactionsmoker........paging Shortactionsmoker.......

Could be a neat little sleeper rig.

Hell, I am still waiting on Ruger to chamber the stainless All-weather model in the 6.5 Creedmoor, which to my mind is a no brainer and should have been done years ago.

To date that chambering has only been available in the Predator model.

Chlinstructor....My Predator in 6.5 loves Federal "Non-Typical ammo. Cheap stuff but 1/2 moa at 100. Killed a big doe with it this year.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have two, and have had no issues. You can of course, buy a more expensive rifle. That more expensive rifle may, or may not be as accurate as the Ruger American.

yeah you can Sam.. they are called Howas and they are available at a decent price from Whittaker Guns in Kentucky...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I keep looking at the RF Predator and the new Target. You know how it is: get a new scope and that means the old one needs a " ride". I'm really hoping they bring those two out in SS eventually, especially the Target.

I recently got one, down at Whittaker's, it's a .22 WMR, in stainless. It's not horrible, but not spectacular, either. It's a hunting tool, not a target rifle, and I have to keep reminding myself of that when I'm thinking about crapcanning the WMR. This is my second WMR, and while I'm trying to like it, it's not making me swoon, not even close. It's configured like the Predator, except it's in stainless.
I have a blued Predator, too, in .22LR, it shoots pretty well, and I'm pleased with it. I wish I was as pleased with the WMR, but I'm still trying to be fair and give it a chance. It's only made three trips to the range, and I'm still working at finding the best ammo for it.

BOTH rifles, and according to rimfirecentral, a lot of others, are having some extraction issues. You might want to wait a bit and see if Ruger can manage a fix for this. I know it's happening with at least three rifles (a buddy has two, one in .17HMR) and one of his two is experiencing the same extraction issues I am having. Reshaping the extractor hook seems to be a fix worth doing. Just a fair warning.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 12/12/17.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd like a 22 Mag compact for my one and only Ruger American.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
They’re ok, but kinda junky.

There some things a person shouldn't have to do:

Eat broccoli
Drive a Subaru
Hunt with a Ruger American

After owning one I think Shrapnel is right. I bought one for shooting prarie dogs this summer when I first moved to Montana. I didnt want to invest alot of money into a rig given I didnt know what sort of access I would have and if I would like it. It filled the bill given that, but i just replaced it with a CZ 527.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
They’re ok, but kinda junky.

There some things a person shouldn't have to do:

Eat broccoli
Drive a Subaru
Hunt with a Ruger American

After owning one I think Shrapnel is right. I bought one for shooting prarie dogs this summer when I first moved to Montana. I didnt want to invest alot of money into a rig given I didnt know what sort of access I would have and if I would like it. It filled the bill given that, but i just replaced it with a CZ 527.

while I agree with Shrap...on the Ruger American...

one of the coolest individual rifles I have seen in quite a while
was a CZ in 204, when I was in New Mexico Last Summer..

I went and spent a couple of days with Mark Shubert, one of our campfire members
who resides up in Las Vegas NM....we spent a day driving around some of his property
that he was showing me, in his Chevy that he uses for his Ranch Truck...

Leaning against the seat was a CZ in 204... sporter model, 3 x 9 Leupold on top...

being in a ranch truck, this puppy was beat to crap on the outside...
stock, all scratched up, bluing all scuffed up on the barrel...

Looked as if she had been rode hard and put away wet....

But that rifle shows the beauty in a working rifle, that is one the job 7 days a week, 365 days
a year....and when called upon it does the same quality of job, it did the day it found a home
leaning against the front seat on Mark's Truck....

I thought quite a bit about what I consider in the beauty of that rifle...
something a plastic stock rifle just wouldn't have the same appeal...
but would probably look the less as being a truck gun veteran...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They would be great with a McMillan stock, Jewell trigger, Kreiger barrel, Schmidt & Bender scope, and chambered in 7mm WSM.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StrayDog
They would be great with a McMillan stock, Jewell trigger, Kreiger barrel, Schmidt & Bender scope, and chambered in 7mm WSM.

Building a marble mansion around a pigstye. grin

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 12/13/17.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by StrayDog

Building a marble mansion around a pigstye. grin

It was painful enough to put one of my beloved M8's on mine....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ruger(and everyone else),simply needs to default to an AICS footprint DBM,so all dots are connected. Magpul already Milk Jugs 'em,amongst others...so the fiscal burden is nil. Sad but true,that many OEM makers are in a hurry to go "proprietary" with mag designs/footprints,though the bar has long been set in commonality,yet overlooked.

No thang on a RAR,to toss the 'blade,re-spring,add an inclined rail,bask in their RPM and get more than a few thangs done. That being said,their Goat Fhuqked magazine is really an EPIC pile of fhuqking schit,much compromising feed/function,along with the twist/throat/COAL Hat Trick.

It's doubly funny,that they already source DBM footprinted mags,in more than a few offerings and yet go wayyyyyyyyyyy outta their road to fhuqk easy schit up.

Tikka is equally fhuqking hilarious,in their INCREDIBLE Dumbfhuqktitude.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I keep looking at the RF Predator and the new Target. You know how it is: get a new scope and that means the old one needs a " ride". I'm really hoping they bring those two out in SS eventually, especially the Target.

I recently got one, down at Whittaker's, it's a .22 WMR, in stainless. It's not horrible, but not spectacular, either. It's a hunting tool, not a target rifle, and I have to keep reminding myself of that when I'm thinking about crapcanning the WMR. This is my second WMR, and while I'm trying to like it, it's not making me swoon, not even close. It's configured like the Predator, except it's in stainless.
I have a blued Predator, too, in .22LR, it shoots pretty well, and I'm pleased with it. I wish I was as pleased with the WMR, but I'm still trying to be fair and give it a chance. It's only made three trips to the range, and I'm still working at finding the best ammo for it.

BOTH rifles, and according to rimfirecentral, a lot of others, are having some extraction issues. You might want to wait a bit and see if Ruger can manage a fix for this. I know it's happening with at least three rifles (a buddy has two, one in .17HMR) and one of his two is experiencing the same extraction issues I am having. Reshaping the extractor hook seems to be a fix worth doing. Just a fair warning.

I've seen that about the extraction. Wonder if it's the chambers, since that style of extractor's been in use for what, 100 years? Of course, it may just be crap accumulated in the grooves in the bolt. That's caused me trouble with 77/22s and my 581. I'd think the Hummers would run pretty clean, though.

Not looking to buy anything, at least until I finish tweaking what I've got.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Ruger(and everyone else),simply needs to default to an AICS footprint DBM,so all dots are connected. Magpul already Milk Jugs 'em,amongst others...so the fiscal burden is nil. Sad but true,that many OEM makers are in a hurry to go "proprietary" with mag designs/footprints,though the bar has long been set in commonality,yet overlooked.

No thang on a RAR,to toss the 'blade,re-spring,add an inclined rail,bask in their RPM and get more than a few thangs done. That being said,their Goat Fhuqked magazine is really an EPIC pile of fhuqking schit,much compromising feed/function,along with the twist/throat/COAL Hat Trick.

It's doubly funny,that they already source DBM footprinted mags,in more than a few offerings and yet go wayyyyyyyyyyy outta their road to fhuqk easy schit up.

Tikka is equally fhuqking hilarious,in their INCREDIBLE Dumbfhuqktitude.................

I actually could not agree more.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by Big Stick

I actually could not agree more.

The RAR magazines are a goat rodeo..

Last edited by BWalker; 12/13/17.
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I bought a Ruger American compact in .243 Win. I put a 35 yr old Leopold on it. I like the compact gun. It will serve me well going through the cattail marshes and mud swamps . It is light and compact . I noticed the trigger is a little raspy . It is not really accurate , but I dont care, my avr. shot is about 30 yds. It is light enough that I noticed it kicks more than my TC Venture compact in .243 Win. I would have been glad to spend more on a gun, but there is almost nothing out there.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 12savage, 63 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,684
Posts18,475,043
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.