Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Go 6.5 PRC, buy a LA magazine and shorten the bolt stop on a Tikka. "Hunters" don't get it, "shooters" do- the 6.5 PRC will have the most support of any 6.5mm larger than the Creedmoor.

Well, perhaps, but the lowley Swede is a tad "bigger" and I believe it's done a fairly good job of "supporting" itself...the 264 Win Mag ain't done too badly either....but in time, your guess might prove to become true.

In a way, I understand the con ept of ths 6.5 PRC. But I am a little confused about one aspect, is it intended to be a "too long" for true Short Actions, or was it designed to be the shortest Long Action cartridge known to man..?

Maybe it's my "Hunter" mentality, but mean, if ya got to go LA, then what advantage would the 6.5 PRC have over the 264 WM.?

28lx posted the reasons and why for the 6.5 PRC from Neal Emory.

As for why it, over the 264wm- recoil, factory world class ammo, precision. As for action lengths; y'all are pole vaulting over mouse turds. That half inch or less difference between a Tikka and a Remington SA 700 doesn't mean anything and no one would ever notice if they weren't told. I mean how does anyone shoot a 223 in a SA....?

GB1

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Go 6.5 PRC, buy a LA magazine and shorten the bolt stop on a Tikka. "Hunters" don't get it, "shooters" do- the 6.5 PRC will have the most support of any 6.5mm larger than the Creedmoor.

Well, perhaps, but the lowley Swede is a tad "bigger" and I believe it's done a fairly good job of "supporting" itself...the 264 Win Mag ain't done too badly either....but in time, your guess might prove to become true.

In a way, I understand the con ept of ths 6.5 PRC. But I am a little confused about one aspect, is it intended to be a "too long" for true Short Actions, or was it designed to be the shortest Long Action cartridge known to man..?

Maybe it's my "Hunter" mentality, but mean, if ya got to go LA, then what advantage would the 6.5 PRC have over the 264 WM.?

28lx posted the reasons and why for the 6.5 PRC from Neal Emory.

As for why it, over the 264wm- recoil, factory world class ammo, precision. As for action lengths; y'all are pole vaulting over mouse turds. That half inch or less difference between a Tikka and a Remington SA 700 doesn't mean anything and no one would ever notice if they weren't told. I mean how does anyone shoot a 223 in a SA....?

So then, it's a Long Action cartridge..? No. It will actually fit many Short Actions, Winchester being one of them sporting a 3.1+" magazine well.
Like my beloved 284 win, the 257 Roberts, the 6.5 /350 RM and others, it's a "'tweener."

Blocking out a Long Action Magnum magazine in say...the Remington 700 or other makers magnum length actions could be their solution. But a Long Action Magnum action is heavy, adding a block, even heavier...and then there's cost.

When I used to run a 223 Rem, I did it in a little rifle Bill Ruger designed with an action length and magazine designed around the dimentions of said cartridge.
Matter of fact the 223 and its innital platform "I believe" came as a matched set.

And isn't this the story of the 6.5 PRC...the rifle is built around the cadtridge..?

I like the cartridge, and I completely understand the logic.

I also like the others on the list and just want to make good choice
Being the Tikka, I'm unconstrained per COL and I see no reason to limit myself to SA...could actually run them all in a LA magazine.

Part of my problem here is that from childhood I've always admired the 264 WM, so when the 6.5 PRC forces me to run LA, it's a conflict.:)

Last edited by 358wsm; 12/12/17.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
So is Hornady purposely trying to undermine Remington 2.8" short actions?

My understanding has been that Remington actions and clones were the most popular builds in "short" actions for precision games. Is the PRC designed to make some other action the obvious choice instead?

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Naw.... I doubt that was the intent.

Besides, Remington could easily counter. If wildcatters can fit the Waytts Box in the 700, then Rem could configure a box of their own, or.....
Remington could counter and standardise their very own case, and introduce the 6.5 RSAUM, in a SA.:)

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
So is Hornady purposely trying to undermine Remington 2.8" short actions?

My understanding has been that Remington actions and clones were the most popular builds in "short" actions for precision games. Is the PRC designed to make some other action the obvious choice instead?

The 6.5 PRC fits AI mag constraints. No one is using internal box mags for the PRS.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just some scuttlebutt, but I’ve heard rumors about PRS guys not loving the Tikka bolt stop. They’re pretty hard on stuff and run them hard/fast. Nothing that a hunter would see in normal use, but it’s a part that needs addressing.

I’m a Tikka fan too, so I’m interested in hearing reports.

The 6.5 PRC will sell a bunch of rifles in 2018....and I hope Tikka is in the game.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Question to the folks "in the know"... Will a 3.000" mag box cover most bullets in a 6.5 PRC ? Factory loadings appear to be in the 2.85" range... Not sure about common COAL's for hand loaders ? Yes, I am aware that how the chamber is throated will affect the COAL.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Just some scuttlebutt, but I’ve heard rumors about PRS guys not loving the Tikka bolt stop. They’re pretty hard on stuff and run them hard/fast. Nothing that a hunter would see in normal use, but it’s a part that needs addressing.

I’m a Tikka fan too, so I’m interested in hearing reports.

The 6.5 PRC will sell a bunch of rifles in 2018....and I hope Tikka is in the game.

Most of that is "assumed issues. Not that you can't break a factory one running it really hard, but you'll actually be hard pressed to find someone that it has personally happened to- it's all "I know someone/I heard".. If you do, it's generally because they are running super hot loads and having to rip on the bolt.

We (8-10 dudes) have all switched to Tikkas for comp guns and with easily 100k between us on T3's the only one to have bolt stop problems was running over 2 grains above max and cranking on it. Zero issues in normal/sane use.

Originally Posted by Orion2000
Question to the folks "in the know"... Will a 3.000" mag box cover most bullets in a 6.5 PRC ? Factory loadings appear to be in the 2.85" range... Not sure about common COAL's for hand loaders ? Yes, I am aware that how the chamber is throated will affect the COAL.

Yes. Factory is 2.945 average.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My partner broke the pin on his Tikka bolt stop in the Karstetter team match last year. Really wish someone had been recording video, as the look on his face was priceless while his brain was trying to compute that his bolt was in his hand and not in his rifle. He actually kept his composure quite well and finished the stage without running out of time. We rigged up a makeshift stop with tape and odd objects which worked fine to finish the match.

He WAS running a warm load (I always refer to it as the 260 MAGNUM) but it wasn't sticky. I had heard the new T3x's were coming with a slotted bolt stop (which should be all it takes to fix I think) but haven't verified on one myself. If they don't, Mountain Tactical ought to change up their aftermarket design to incorporate that idea. Also, I know at least a half dozen folks who compete with them, and that is the only failure between them all I'm aware of, but it did leave an impression.

I really like my all Bighorn battery, but wouldn't feel like I was giving up much at all if forced to use Tikka actions only. I prefer them to a good chunk of the customs out there for sure.

Empirical results rule!
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

All that hammering from ths bolt slamming against the stop is bound to reviel any weakness in design. That there is a robust solution and your testimony of "prefer them over a good chunk of customs" is positively telling.

Been looking over the options suggested here... the 6.5 SAUM s4, the 6.5 PRC, and the 264 Win Mag.

1) The PCR has an average COAL of 2.945" it will require a Long Action set up if run in my T3x. Its just too damn long for a T3 SA..!
2) The SAUM " m i g h t" just barely stuff into my SA T3x as it is with the shorter lightweight hunting bullets, but again it's a bit long in the magazine.
3) The 264 Win. Forced to run a LA set up.by the PRC anyway, and the SAUM really needing 2.9+", this beauty makes the most sense in light of the complications of running them in the SA set up.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the 6.5 Sherman Mag. Perhaps because there is no headstamped brass, but that one fits true SA's.

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Yes. Factory is 2.945 average.

Thank you !

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
FWIW, the new M+ mag that ships with the 6.5 Creedmoor’s measured 2.98”ish. That may be an option for the PRC. I only measured one though...

[Linked Image]

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

No kidding..!?!?!? THAT is a beautiful thing.! Thanks Shortactionsmoker.

Question though, is it a flush fit or ....?

The other thing, maybe someone can confirm this, but I dont know if the standard magazine fits in the magnum bottom metal, and/or visa versa.

Last edited by 358wsm; 12/13/17.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
3 round mag. The 5 round they’re making will protrude more...

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Are those + mags shipping with the T3 Creed able to be purchased individually?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
3 round mag. The 5 round they’re making will protrude more...

[Linked Image]

Thank you.

I believe this is how they'll address the 6.5 PRC...it's a no brainer.

Still asking, will a standart SA mag fit the WSM rifle..?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by GregW
Are those + mags shipping with the T3 Creed able to be purchased individually?

Not yet. It’s been a huge cluster. The Finn’s didn’t think anybody would want three round mags as an aftermarket part, so they decided to have their mag partner make five round extended mags. They are late getting them produced, so none have shipped over here yet. They’re coming...hopefully soon. I’d expect it to be the first of the year. I also asked Tikka (Beretta) to make the three round magazine as an exclusive for us. I offered a PO for 1000 on the first order. We’ll see what happens. Probably no answer before SHOT.

While I’m at it, I hooked up with a polymer mag manufacturer in the states. I gave them some Tikka 223mags. I told them I’d front the money for the mold and production of a 2.60” 223 mag. I should have some costs and estimates this week. Before I committed to the money, I received verification from Tikka that they had no plans for anything similar in the works, but they would contact their mag partner and see if they’d run them for me as well. So maybe we’ll see some 223mags in the first half of 2018. I want something we can retail for $39 or less.

I know others are working on billet mags, but options don’t hurt.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’m 99.99999% sure the O.D. Is the same on all mags. I’m at home, don’t have one here and can verify tomorrow. I’m sure somebody else will chime in.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Awesome....

You'd sell out of them all...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I’m 99.99999% sure the O.D. Is the same on all mags. I’m at home, don’t have one here and can verify tomorrow. I’m sure somebody else will chime in.

Thank you. I had asked a gentleman at Eurooptics, and I don't believe he and I were on the same page when I asked about the matter, so in the confusion I came away unsure reguarding that fact. I too am away from my Tikkas so I am unable to confirm.

I had once wanted to build a wildcat off the 222 mag called the 257 Kimber, the 2.60" mag for the 223 is what I've needed. Very cool.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

466 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 2ndwind, 12344mag, 1234, 1badf350, 48 invisible), 1,700 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,038
Posts18,521,093
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.