Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
With the trend of fast twist barrels and high BC bullets are some calibers eventually going to get on board or become a thing of the past ? I'm thinking particularly .257 or .270

My opinion though I've never seen figures is we have to be deep enough into the new hype now that sales are beginning to plummet for some of the less desirable calibers according to paper.

What do you all think?

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
GB1

OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I grew up shooting cartridges that were introduced in the early 60s and before, and I skipped most of the new stuff, besides a 270 WSM briefly. But I like the new trend. The shoulder pounders had their day in the sun. Let’s move on

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From the standpoint of the firearms and ammo manufacturers, I see the faster twist options primarily coming about in new chamberings, so as to not confuse the consumer with twist rates for their existing firearms. The 6.5 and 6mm Creedmoor come to mind, along with the new Valkyrie .22 centerfire. There are so many 1-10" twist .257 and .277 caliber rifles out there that I cannot see rifle manufacturers skipping over the existing faster-twist commonality of the adjoining .244, .264 and .284 offerings to start creating specialized versions of the .257 and .277 just for the heck of it. I bet 90% of the bajillion existing .270WCF shooters out there have no idea what twist rate their rifles are, so if the rifle/ammo sellers want to push the fast-twist and high-BC trend on those people, it is easier to do it with a new rifle in a whole new chambering, shooting new ammo. And when that is the case, the typical consumer could probably care less if the bullet diameter mikes .007" different than their beloved Ol' Betsy.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Exactly. 95% of the rifle buying public have no idea what their rifles' twist rate is. They'll keep scarfin' up 270s 'til the cows come home.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Trystan
..... are some calibers eventually going to get on board or become a thing of the past ? I'm thinking particularly .257 or .270

Calibers get on board?? As already pointed out it's the manufacturers that would have to get on board, and they're driven by demand.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
this forum is not an accuray reflection of the hunting public.

most want to buy the cheapest rifle they can find with X characteristic (says remington, stainless, wood stock, has magnum in the name, etc.) and then go buy the cheapest box of ammo they can find slap on the cheapest scope they can find with X characteristic (24x magnification, illuminated reticle, 50mm objective etc.) in the cheapest ass rings they can find and then pay someone else to mount and boresight it, and then shoot 2-3 shot groups of remington core-lokts or whatever ammo they can find at walmart the cheapest and they will keep shooting for however long it takes them to get one round within 1" of the "bullseye" and then call it good, and go shoot one deer a year with it from then on.

the big mass producing manufacturers know this and keep pumping out guns with old twist rates because they know it will work best with the cheap ammo. The only way to get stuff in anything else is custom, through semi custom makers like Barrett, or in rifle forum looney group buys =]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's far easier to start off right than to try to update an existing cartridge with new twist rates and slick bullets (or even higher pressure limits). As proof, I offer the .244/6mm Remington and the .260, both hobbled by corporate blundering. There are others.

The .25s and .27s are doing just fine as what they were dedsigned for, and the new kids, mostly 6.5s, are selling well because they are good hunting rounds too, but also because they excel for new, trendy, shooting activities. I don't think they're cutting into sales of othe stuff much, but rather creating their own market.

The 7mm rounds were pretty well-endowed from the getgo by their designers, but there doesn't seem to be all that much interest in them for the long-range games, possibly because of recoil. They're still excellent game cartridges as always, and maybe the best compromise as their fans have claimed for decades.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like 270’s. I have a 270WCF, a 270 WSM, and a 270 Wby. I like them all. Hard hitting, little recoil!!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Average people with average guns will keep on killing all the game this country can produce.

It's shooters, not hunters, that are driving the new wave of gun-selling.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree w/ Dakota.

IMO, unless you are hunting or shooing PAST 500 yds, fast twist and high BC don't mean much.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The 270 is getting a boost with the various 150 to 170 grain VLDs the 25s do well with the 110 to 125 offerings. Custom bullet makers will make 25s up to 160 grains if you have a 1 in 5 or 6 barrel for it. I think the elimination or reduction in the Hunter class rifles has reduced the demand for the VLDs and other target bullets in 25 caliber. The 270 is just too close to the 6.5mm and 7mm to get much play as a 1000 yard rifle. But a few fast twist 270wsms have been built for this and other cartridges too I am sure such as the 270x300 Weatherby.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If I were a manufacturer, when time to update tooling, I’d quietly start producing 1:8 .257 and .277 barrels for those cartridges and move on. I’d also release VLD type ammo for same marked 1:8” twist only. Most would never know the difference, but those that do could take advantage of it. We’re starting to see that with .223 and even 22-250 from some manufacturers.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting thread and good commentary.

I think what we have going on is a change in the demographics so to speak. In the last generation hunters drove the market and the guns produced.

Today shooters, not hunters are driving the market. I give you AR-15's as an example.

We also have the long range and sniper tactical crowd. They shoot way more ammo and spend way more on gear than your average hunter.

Hunting is getting harder and more expensive and youngsters aren't participating as much.

Video games, Hollywood etc..... promote tactical, military type of shooting disciplines and youngster follow that and thinks it makes them macho and cool.

I don't mean to sound critical of it, because I believe it is healthy for the 2nd amendment and the industry, it just is what it is.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
If I were a manufacturer, when time to update tooling, I’d quietly start producing 1:8 .257 and .277 barrels for those cartridges and move on. I’d also release VLD type ammo for same marked 1:8” twist only. Most would never know the difference, but those that do could take advantage of it. We’re starting to see that with .223 and even 22-250 from some manufacturers.

John

This. I would really like to see 1:8 twists in .257 and .277 also. Dunno if it will ever happen, and I can certainly make due with the 6.5 cartridges.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With the PRS swinging the Creedmoor hammer, I can see the 25 Creedmoor becoming a thing.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It seems at least some gun and ammo manufacturers are on-board with the high BC, fast twist rate trend. Checking ammo for the .308 Win, Federal offers ammo that users their Trophy Copper bullet. This 165 grain 0.503 BC solid copper ballistic tip bullet is 1.429 inches long and at 2700 mv it needs 1:10 twist rate to be stable. Hornady offers 30-06 Superfromance ammo loaded with their 180 grain 0.485 BC GMX copper ballistic tip bullet that's 1.579 inches long. This load at 2820 fps also needs a 1:10 twist to be stable. Looking at the Remington website I see their 700 has a 1:10 twist in both .308 Win and 30-06, so these old, but very popular calibers are up to date with what the ammo manufacturers are offering.

The Rem 700 in .270 Win has the same 1:10 twist rate, but Nosler offers a load using their 150 grain 0.623 BC Trophy Grade AccuBond LR bullet that's 1.421 inches long, and with a 2850 mv it's only marginally stable and could benefit from a 1:9 twist rate.

The streamlined shape needed to get higher BCs results in longer bullets, but part of the need for faster twist rates is the move to lead-free bullets for environmental reasons. Lead-free bullets are longer for the same weight and the longer a bullet is the faster the twist rate that's needed to stabilize it.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My Steyr Pro Hunter in .270 Win has a 1:8.6 twist. I don't handload, so I don't know how it does with bullets heavier than 150 gr.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Alagator
My Steyr Pro Hunter in .270 Win has a 1:8.6 twist. I don't handload, so I don't know how it does with bullets heavier than 150 gr.

You should be good up to the 170s but I haven't run it on the ballistic calculator that Berger and others have. Just fact checked myself and they recommend 1 in 8 with 1 in 9 marginal so you would be on the line twist wise. See twist table: http://www.bergerbullets.com/introducing-the-berger-270-caliber-170-grain-eol-elite-hunter/

Fast twist would be a good option. I think only Bench Rest and Varmint hunters would object but the people who pay attention to such things usually have custom barrels and loads so I do not know how much of a market there would be for this option. Some I am sure as proven by Barret, Tikka and Ruger.

Last edited by Tejano; 12/18/17.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Savuti
Exactly. 95% of the rifle buying public have no idea what their rifles' twist rate is. They'll keep scarfin' up 270s 'til the cows come home.

Yep. A friend of mine bought his first CF this year, I advised him to get a 6.5 CM or 7mm-08. He came home from the store with a .270. I suppose it might work.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Trystan
With the trend of fast twist barrels and high BC bullets are some calibers eventually going to get on board or become a thing of the past ? I'm thinking particularly .257 or .270

My opinion though I've never seen figures is we have to be deep enough into the new hype now that sales are beginning to plummet for some of the less desirable calibers according to paper.

What do you all think?

Trystan

You are a young fella aren't ya? laugh Old school will still be in session long after both of us are gone.

You may recall relics such as these? Can you name them? Didja know that brass is still available for all of them? And factory ammo as well with exception of #5 from the left and #9 from the left which is my own creation....based on a .357 case.

[Linked Image]

Youngest of the lot is 3d from the right and that was likely born before you. Far left? The dreaded BB cap, the one that started all this cartridge nonsense. Chances of ol' Bob disappearing are zero.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 3,037 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,196
Posts18,503,582
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.