Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A really interesting read here guys. I too didn't know about the gay/Subaru thing either though I'm not sure that sis with that Forester doesn't fit with that lifestyle, though I do see a whole lot of Subaru cars out her way in NW Montana. WI. outlawed the studded snow tires years ago because the studs ate the mortar out if the concrete. Those wide tires on a pick up look nice, but they sure have a mind of their own on slippery roads. I put those skinny 7.50-16's on that truck and it went well in a straight line in deep snow, but high, hard, narrow tires sure make ice exciting. A friend of mine put posi-traction on the front as well as the back axle of a truck and it went real well in a straight line, but he said it was like a pea on a platter on a slipper turn. Probably the reason that front wheel posi on a 4wd is never an option. Oh, someone mentioned the Mustang and the Camaro. Yep, wide Poly Glass tires, rear wheel drive and all the weight up front in the big engine and I could barely get mine out of the driveway. Headers were not good for plowing through snow either. Kids.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
They might be the best snow vehicle going, but I could never overcome the stigma of being seen in a Lezbaru.

My wife wanted a Subaru a couple of years ago, I told her that I would never drive it out of state with California plates on it...she looked at me like I was mad...

She ended up with a Ford...with California plates. laugh

I suspect the plates are far more offensive than the make of the vehicle... grin

Proud NRA Life Member
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
They might be the best snow vehicle going, but I could never overcome the stigma of being seen in a Lezbaru.

Are you really that insecure about your masculinity? Afraid of what other people may think. What kind of a way is that to live?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Worst I ever had was a 1969 Chevelle . The Hummer H3 is quite good.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Years ago there was a private detective who lived next door, on my private road. His vehicles consisted of a Porsche 944 and some fancied-up pick-up truck. Neither vehicle had snow tires, he had performance tires on both. The first couple times when we heard him spin his wheels, my other neighbor and I would go out at all hours of the day and night and push him. I repeatedly told him that he needs to get good snow tires if he was going to make it thru the winter on our road. He never listened. After a while we stopped going out to help him and we just put up with him racing his engine and spinning his wheels for what seemed like forever. One winter was enough for him and he was gone the following year. He couldn't find his butt with both hands but he sure drove some macho machines.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife, daughter and I all drive Outbacks. I have Blizzacks on mine and it is pretty impressive. I carry chains, come along, and a shovel and never had to use them. I like the AWD better than my 4wd tundra. I kinda want to trade on a 4runner, but it is hard to cash in the suby.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I have been stuck in snow and in the ditch on ice as many times as most people.

When my brother and I were both in our early 20's we bought a 1977 Olds Toronado. Big old 2 door coupe that happened to be front wheel drive. Had a big block in it as well.

Drove it all over MT and north ID.

Awesome highway drift buster.

A lot of weight over the drive wheels in those tornadoes!

Until a cop stopped you and MADE you move the tire chains to the back wheels, "because that is where the law says they have to be".

Had a couple friends of the family who drove Tornados and El Dorados back in the mid 60s through early 70s, before anyone knew what FWD was. One of them had to cross Cabbage on I84 with the chains on the back end because a State Trooper had sub human intelligence.

Then the law is a ass!

Chains on the rear of a FWD tank sounds a little like an anchor.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dwayne-

Holiday greetings to you and yours.

That little Bolens ain't a car, but I bet it would get Bristoe to the Likka Stoe in a blizzard!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check out this video. 2014 Subaru Forester Vs Honda CRV, Ford Escape, Mazda CX-5, and Toyota RAV4.

Link - USAC wet ramp test

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Check out this video. 2014 Subaru Forester Vs Honda CRV, Ford Escape, Mazda CX-5, and Toyota RAV4.

Impressive.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dwayne-

Holiday greetings to you and yours.

That little Bolens ain't a car, but I bet it would get Bristoe to the Likka Stoe in a blizzard!

ironbender;
Good afternoon sir and please allow me to return holiday greetings to you and yours!

The photo of the little diesel is a couple years old and it's now equipped with a 12" LED light bar up front and 4 LED lights on the back - it's like I've got 35 year old eyes again ironbender!

I should think that so equipped it would get our esteemed colleague from Kentucky there AND back in any storm. It's got a rear diff lock too on the little rascal... cool

All the best to you and your fine family this Christmas sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As good as the Sub-a-loos are, when I lived in Upstate NY, I saw more of them in the ditch than everything else combined. Overconfident drivers, you think?!

IIRC, we had the highest snowfall totals of any city in the US at that time (mid 2000's). AWD is great for climbing, and getting started, but we're all on the same footing when it comes to turning and stopping. Contact patch, anyone one? Along with weight distribution.

Here in the Portlandia, we've got a strange mix of cold dry air mixing with warm wet air. It screws with people from the colder regions of the US like the Northeast and Midwest where it's just straight up cold.

I see Subarus going sidways on flat ground. And was hit by a Subaru last year.

Also saw a bunch of 4x4 trucks abandoned in last year's storm.

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/16/17.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Had a Ford Focus back in the day, it was great in the snow. Same with Rangers and Tacomas. Will see how the 4Runner does, probably pretty well too

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As good as the Sub-a-loos are, when I lived in Upstate NY, I saw more of them in the ditch than everything else combined. Overconfident drivers, you think?!

IIRC, we had the highest snowfall totals of any city in the US at that time (mid 2000's). AWD is great for climbing, and getting started, but we're all on the same footing when it comes to turning and stopping. Contact patch, anyone one? Along with weight distribution.

Here in the Portlandia, we've got a strange mix of cold dry air mixing with warm wet air. It screws with people from the colder regions of the US like the Northeast and Midwest where it's just straight up cold.

I see Subarus going sidways on flat ground. And was hit by a Subaru last year.

Also saw a bunch of 4x4 trucks abandoned in last year's storm.

I've lived in Upstate and the North Country of NY all my life (now 61) andI haven't observed that at all. The most common type of vehicle that I see in the ditch are pick-up trucks; 4 wheel drive, no weight in the back end, and big tires that they think are good in the snow. AWD can get you going (and as seen in the linked demo above, Subaru does have the best system) but it's tires that keep you on the road and stop you. That is why tire selection is KEY to safe winter driving.

Last edited by cooper57m; 12/16/17.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Impressive.

To me, it didn't look like they all had the same tires, so I'd consider it an invalid test.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
They should have all had either the same tires or tested with OEM tires as the consumer would initially buy them. In which case, the Subaru had to overcome their tires because the Subaru's OEM tires aren't much. I think the major difference is the Subaru's X Mode. It's a fairly sophisticated computerized system that monitors each tire individually and adds power and braking as needed to maintain traction. None of those other vehicles have anything comparable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife’s Subaru Forester runs better than any truck I’ve ever owned unles snow is over 10 inches or so.

------------------------
John
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cooper57m
I've lived in Upstate and the North Country of NY all my life (now 61) andI haven't observed that at all. The most common type of vehicle that I see in the ditch are pick-up trucks; 4 wheel drive, no weight in the back end, and big tires that they think are good in the snow.

Saw plenty of trucks in the ditch. But in Central NY cities, the Subarus far out numbered the trucks.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by cooper57m
I've lived in Upstate and the North Country of NY all my life (now 61) andI haven't observed that at all. The most common type of vehicle that I see in the ditch are pick-up trucks; 4 wheel drive, no weight in the back end, and big tires that they think are good in the snow.

Saw plenty of trucks in the ditch. But in Central NY cities, the Subarus far out numbered the trucks.

If your perception is fact (and again, that is not my observation) it had more to do with the tires or lack of the driver's skill/judgement than anything with the vehicle itself.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Had an Outback and it was a beast in the snow. Would still have one it it wasn't for the engine. It was loud.

Friend has a Honda Pilot and he takes it were I would hesitate. Plus he has a huge area in the back with the rear seats folded up. Rides nice and an all around great outdoor vehicle for those who don't need hard a core 4wd.

Last edited by battue; 12/16/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (160user, 22kHornet, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 06hunter59, 34 invisible), 1,360 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,094
Posts18,522,187
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.