Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 23 24
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
That dog in the pic isn't a pure pit.

That's what I saw also.

I'm wondering whether her dogs and another had a snit that she tried to break up, and her dogs got their blood up too much??

Sad thing.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who wants a vicious mean spirited dog, that must be mastered constantly if young kids are around ?, how bout when you go to the gas station and they attack the wife, cuz she's not Alpha enough ? GTFOH

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Who wants a vicious mean spirited dog, that must be mastered constantly if young kids are around ?, how bout when you go to the gas station and they attack the wife, cuz she's not Alpha enough ? GTFOH

Stick with Labs and Poodles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

No thanks, a small cat and a S&W works just fine here...maybe you should move.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I carried mail for 31 years.

Oh , I’m sorry.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I had to put down a wild pit bull about five years ago. A neighbor had one or someone else dropped it off out in the country. I saw it three or four times in the yard and when approaching it always ran off. One day before going out of town it was in the back yard. I grabbed my 1911 and went out the door. It took off but got a slug while exiting. I found it later. It didn’t go far.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Someone mentioned what his two cur dogs did to a Tomcat, but then deleted it. Anyway, this video was meant to be in response to that post.

Good lord! I've killed my share of all kinds of critters but never slow. Nothing should be chewed to death. I'd off kicked the damn weiner dogs into next week before I stood there and filmed it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The type of person that should own pit bulls usually doesn’t and the type that shouldn’t usually does. They feel a certain comfort in something stronger than themselves “protecting” them, irregardless of whether or not they possess any control over their “protector”.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
++Darwin

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by las
In a pack (that is one dog, one person minimum), there is only one boss.

She wasn't it.

Exactly. I can count on no finger how many times I've seen a woman be the Alpha. Women should only own foofoo dogs.

All I can say, Scott, is the dogs - Lab and Dachshund - and I always knew who was boss, and when she got that tone,.... we tended to mind! Unless, of course, we could find some cover. The dogs liked a bedroom as far away from the action as possible..... smile

Last edited by las; 12/17/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
Someone mentioned what his two cur dogs did to a Tomcat, but then deleted it. Anyway, this video was meant to be in response to that post.

Good lord! I've killed my share of all kinds of critters but never slow. Nothing should be chewed to death. I'd off kicked the damn weiner dogs into next week before I stood there and filmed it.

Same here. No way for that creature to go.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm no fan of armadillos but that was sadistic and cruel. The dogs dont know any better but that SOB filming it sure does.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
The type of person that should own pit bulls usually doesn’t and the type that shouldn’t usually does. They feel a certain comfort in something stronger than themselves “protecting” them, irregardless of whether or not they possess any control over their “protector”.

Well said as usual Ace.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Guarding is among the earliest uses to which dogs were put, and is among the earliest of breed specializations. To suggest that there's something pathological about that aspect of a dog's usefulness is beyond absurd.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here's what I have observed about pits, pit mixes and fighting breeds in general. Their owners fall into 3 categories. Those who think they can handle them and really can, thugs who want them for status symbols and those who think they can handle them and really can't. I would be in the former category, but I don't want the responsibility. It's a huge responsibility. When we read of pit maulings it is sometimes thug related. Most often, based on my observation it's the latter category who own the ones that maul. The dogs are often rescues. The person with good intention goes down to the shelter (where most of the dogs are pits and pit mixes) looks at the dogs in the cages and thinks they'll rescue a maligned breed. If I had to guess the deceased in this story fell into the latter category. They enter into the deal with great intentions. They don't fully realize what kind of responsibility they have undertaken. Pits and fighting breeds are genetically coded to fight and to not stop until the job is done. Where a lab might bite a time or two and stop a pit will not. You cannot escape the genetic coding in the breed you own.

A Dachs in Germany is a badger. A Dachshund is a badger hound. They will tangle with a badger and they are tenacious as seen in the video. A had a Dachshund many years ago. Bratwurst was a very small dog and as sweet as any dog I had ever seen. I lived on the edge of town and had woods behind my house. She was good about not running off, so I let her out one evening to pee while I did something else inside. I opened the door about 10 minutes later expecting to see her run in. She wasn't there. I heard a little commotion on the side yard. It was Bratwurst dragging a possum home.

YOU CANNOT ESCAPE YOUR DOG"S CODING. People don't freaking get that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I carried mail for 31 years, and when you do that, you learn a lot of things about the people on your mail route. The only people that I saw with pit bulls were Blacks and White Trash, the druggie types.

And inferiority complexes..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No thanks, a small cat and a S&W works just fine here...maybe you should move.

You taught your cat to SHOOT? Damn, I thought Pittbull owner's were nuts....

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've had heelers for a while now (20+ years). They are definitely a breed you need to teach the pecking order to ASAP. My wife still gets mad that I can simply change the tone of my voice and both dogs will stop whatever they are doing. Proved it to the M.I.L. the other day when I sat two pieces of cooked deer meat from butchering on the ground and wouldn't let either dog eat it. She is the type to keep a dog around, but never spend time or train it. Heck, even her dog listens to me better than anyone else. Guy I rodeo with has a heeler that is markedly aggressive, stupid mutt won't come within 20' of me. The dog and I both remember the one time he came after me. Most people shouldn't be allowed to own dogs.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PPosey
Pits doing what they do best,,, killing. Thats all they do better. You own one thats what you want it for, plain and simple.

Having had large and powerful breeds all my life, and learning at a young age how they are to be handled when you own them, I can own any breed of dog safely. That said, my folks always owned the breeds of dog that most people considered ferocious and frightening, and they (for as long as they continued that practice) had never been burglarized or home-invaded. I suspect that's a big part why. After abandoning that practice (choosing, in their old age, to own tiny dogs instead) they have been burglarized once.

Anyway, I have maintained that practice for myself, and have also never been burglarized or home-invaded. I've owned German Shepherds, a Doberman, Pitbulls, Pitbull mixes, and currently a Pitbull mix (the white dog) and an old-style Bulldog (the brindle dog).

All dogs are about the same, pet-wise, when you actually know how to handle dogs, so I choose those types of dogs most feared by burglars and the like. People not so capable, should probably stick with those breeds whose breed-purpose has had nothing whatever to do with combat or security against criminals. These dogs require a firm hand and a certain degree of expertise to safely own.

[Linked Image]

So you make my point,, you want the breed because they are feared, they are feared because they have and will again kill. Pits and pit mixes have in fact killed so often that is is pretty much overlooked as oh well another pit went crazy. But it is not the pit going crazy, it is the pit doing what they are programmed by instinct to do. The same as the weener dogs chewing the armadillo, all following their breeding and programmed instinct.

Your dogs know you are the boss, they follow you, you dictate their behavior when you are there, what happens when they encounter someone who is weak or very young and does not do the right things or act the correct way, and you are not there to set the behavior of the pack? Instinct could take over, with a weener dog an ankle gets bit, with a hound or lab someone gets bruised or scared badly, and with a pit someone dies.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't mind a dog that will bite to protect it's turf, it's owner, or even itself, as that's what dogs do. But......I don't like a dog that wants to kill a person, and that's what pit bulls do. I've learned to respect dogs, and when I am around a strange dog, I always watch myself. I've been dog bite, and it's no fun. I wouldn't mind having a guard dog here on the farm that would cause people to stay in their car, and not get out unless I was here. I wouldn't mind having one that would bark and act aggressive, but no way do I want one that would bite a family member, or be so bad that I'd be afraid to trust it around my grandkids.

Page 3 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 160user, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,111 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,843
Posts18,517,235
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.