Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My sis has some top end Subaru......in CO.
No complaints.
Toured the SIA factory years ago......some engineering dinner thing.
Pretty cool.
They had a small herd of deer out by the test track.

Two things keep me from buying a Subaru.

Money

and Bob Rohrman commcercials.

Dealer in my town had two Bajas come in not long ago........bet they were crazy high priced.
I didn't even go to look.

Last edited by hookeye; 12/18/17.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We had a product manager in the office that transferred from Georgia and we would let that guy leave half an hour early when it snowed because none of us wanted to be on the same road with him.
True enough about weight in the back end of a truck or it does near nothing for traction. I had an old K5 Blazer with a hydraulic plow up front that I bought used. The guy had a big, heavy metal plate all across the back cargo area of that thing, but I took it out as unnecessary. Wow did I learn fast what it was doing there on the first slippery down hill coming out of school. The short coupled pos did a 180 turn around the front axle and I was going down that hill backwards. It sure made a memory and was my last ever Chevy.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
its all in the tires,tire pressure and the driver. the car or truck makes little differents.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by tkinak
Originally Posted by LouisB
My 2005 4 door Taco is the worst on snow of any vehicle I have owned.
NO matter how much weight I add it has LOUSY traction.
Not sure what there is in the design but traction SUCKS.

Ditto!!!

Even with six sand bags and snow tires mine didn't feel planted.

The only thing I've driven that was worse was my brothers late '80's SR5.

Best rig was an 80's Blazer.

What did you guys run for tires on your Taco's? I know a few people that own(ed) them and never complained about them.

NYH1.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After quite a bit of snow driving experience with two wheel drive cars, my absolute best 2wd snow/ice driver was a 1966 Toronado. Also a great overall car if a guy didn't mind the required fuel consumption.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Best that I've driven, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the full-time transfer case and Quadra-Drive axles.
Worst that I've driven, my buddies 1985 Chevette (it did do some wicked donuts though)

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The best one I ever had was a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited... That thing was an absolute mountain goat when it came to slippery roads... I should have kept it probably - but at the end of the lease I figured who needs an extra vehicle (insurance, plates etc) when I had a perfectly fine F-350 in the shed? Let it go.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The best snow vehicle I have owned was a VW Beetle.Sucker would go through any amount of snow no problem.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

A long time ago I had an old '50s model Dodge with their 'fluid drive' transmission.
That old car was about the most impressive rear wheel drive only vehicle on packed snow and slick roads that I can recall having ever driven, especially considering the tires available back then. You just couldn't hardly make that thing break traction.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My wife has a GTP Grand Prix ...we drove it to the shot show in Vegas one year....it snowed some and the car did fine....the wife was mad tho as the car never sees a bad road .....we drive an 89 k5 or suburban in the winter mostly...
Back in the 80 s I had a front wheel drive Pontiac Phoenix and my brother had a Chevy Citation....basicly the same platform...
Those things would keep up with a 4x4. My brother would run trap line in his...we both ran those cars till they died...

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Windfall
We had a product manager in the office that transferred from Georgia and we would let that guy leave half an hour early when it snowed because none of us wanted to be on the same road with him.
True enough about weight in the back end of a truck or it does near nothing for traction. I had an old K5 Blazer with a hydraulic plow up front that I bought used. The guy had a big, heavy metal plate all across the back cargo area of that thing, but I took it out as unnecessary. Wow did I learn fast what it was doing there on the first slippery down hill coming out of school. The short coupled pos did a 180 turn around the front axle and I was going down that hill backwards. It sure made a memory and was my last ever Chevy.

So it was Chevy's fault the weight was removed from the back end that was there to counterbalance the plow up front ? wink

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Worst seems to be my diesel Ram. Lot's of weight of front with lots of torque (and no weight) at the rear. Then again, second best is the same truck when shifted into 4WD.

Best I've driven is our '05 4Runner with full-time 4WD. It does great in snow, mud, what ever.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The 'loose nut between steering wheel and drivers seat' is more important than what that 'nut' is driving in many instances.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A couple of guys at work went out at lunchtime to try out one guys new Subarus in a heavy snowstorm.
They were wet, cold, pi$$ed off when they made it back to the office later that afternoon.

A Suburban with Goodrich ATs was one of the better rigs I've used in snow.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by RyanTX
Worst seems to be my diesel Ram. Lot's of weight of front with lots of torque (and no weight) at the rear. Then again, second best is the same truck when shifted into 4WD.

Best I've driven is our '05 4Runner with full-time 4WD. It does great in snow, mud, what ever.

Throw 1,000 lbs in the bed of that Ram.. Works for mine (3500 crew).

That 4-runner I had, I really liked, but it was top heavy, ass end light, tended to skid... Damned well built, as we came out of it with stratches when my wife hit black ice, put it headfirst into a rock wall opposite lane, and we wound up back across our lane on the shoulder, upside down, engine still running...

After crawling out the back window (shattered when the spare tire went out, but doors would not open), my 7 year old (now in 30's) looked around and said "now I know why you make us wear seat belts".

I'd buy another...

Last edited by las; 12/18/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by RyanTX

Throw 1,000 lbs in the bed of that Ram.. Works for mine (3500 crew).

That 4-runner I had, I really liked, but it was top heavy, ass end light, tended to skid... Damned well built, as we came out of it with stratches when my wife hit black ice, put it headfirst into a rock wall opposite lane, and we wound up back across our lane on the shoulder, upside down, engine still running...

After crawling out the back window (shattered when the spare tire went out, but doors would not open), my 7 year old (now in 30's) looked around and said "now I know why you make us wear seat belts".

I'd buy another...

Or just use your four wheel drive....that's what it's for. wink

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
It WAS in 4WD! She was worried about her classroom mice going thirsty, And mostly the road was dry. There was this one shadowed corner with black ice...

It doesn't take much to pile up uberchit on one in a second or two...

4WD ain't a cure-all for dumshititis.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
4WD ain't a cure-all for dumshititis.

Feel free to copy this as a sig line.... smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Wife has a '97 Toyota 4-Runner 4WD, with GOOD traction tires, that dose good in snow.

I have an '04 Tacoma 4WD TRD. I added a sheet of 1/2" steel plat under the matt in the bed, and it dose good with the extra weight, AND Toyo MT tires.

I've got almost 1/2 mile of driveway, that gains 300 feet elevation from the road.

I hate snow !

Virgil B.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I was referring to RyanTX. Saying a 4wd truck isn't good in the snow unless it's in 4wd is like saying my truck doesn't stop good for stop signs....unless I push the brake peddle. 4wd is part of the of the overall operating system of the vehicle.

My truck doesn't plow good in 2wd, even with really good tires and 600 lbs. of ballast weight behind the rear wheels against the tailgate as recommended. In 4wd it's a beast. So it's the best plow truck I've ever had. See what I mean.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (1OntarioJim, 22kHornet, 257robertsimp, 06hunter59, 320090T, 257 roberts, 27 invisible), 1,327 guests, and 954 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,094
Posts18,522,176
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.