Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 24 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 23 24
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by PPosey
I like a dog that will stand up for me and mine,,, and actually most breeds will do that in a push and shove situation,,, my last hound would have taken on anything and anybody over our family, but he lacked the mental and physical capacity to kill like a pit, he put a few people back into their cars over the years when they got out at the house and he didn't know them, he sounded AND LOOKED like Kugo gone bad. But he never grabbed anyone, and I never worried about him doing so, I never worried about anyone breaking into the house with him around either.

People like to imagine that their dogs would stand up to a determined attacker, but unless extreme courage is deep in their bloodlines, it's a fantasy 99 times out of a hundred.

Our plotts stand up to bears pretty well, our dogs are proven in the courage department without having a heritage of killing and mauling their owners,, there is a huge difference between courage and instability.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just read a report, apparently the pit's were feeding on the young gal!

Pposey makes a good point, we have breeds that are courageous and protective without being psycho.

Years ago I worked in a shop and the owner had a very large male Rottweiler, I am a dog lover so I gave this dog a lot of attention in the course of my work day.
I thought we were buds? yet one day He attacked me , he was in the back of a truck in the service bay and I was walking past, luckily I was able to get away and avoid serious injury, he had a crazy look in his eyes and was in a frenzy. If it was my dog I would have killed him.

I do not trust pit bull's, rottweiler's etc.... I consider them dangerous.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Wasn't there another long time owner of a bully breed dog who's dog turned on him that used to post on here? Canadian if I remember right.

There are actually 2 members on here, one has admitted his mistakes and took ownership.

Were they the kind of owners who knew how to handle their dogs prior to the incident?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i reached down to pet him and he attacked, i got 68 stitches in my fingers and 4 pins.i grabbed his bottom jaw, pinned and choked him out.

[Linked Image]

I remember that. Didn't he try and bite your tit off prior to that too?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Those dogs were neglected. This is from the article that JjoeBob linked above:

Blackwood said Stephens had left the dogs with her father. The indoor dogs were then held up outside “in the cold” in a small kennel. Stephens would return home about five times a week to see the canines.

“[Stephens’ father] wasn’t taking care of them — it wasn’t his responsibility,” Blackwood said.

Agnew confirmed the medical examiner said Stephens was on her “menstrual period,” but added: “But I don’t think there’s any way we can definitively say what caused the attack.”

I do believe that she would still be alive if it were any other breed, but she lost the bond she should have had with her dogs when she left them with her dad and they were left out in the cold in a pen and not cared for properly.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ol_mike
i reached down to pet him and he attacked, i got 68 stitches in my fingers and 4 pins.i grabbed his bottom jaw, pinned and choked him out.

[Linked Image]

Do you have loss of mobility from the dog bite Roger ?
Permanent damage ?

yes can't bend left index finger all the way and its pretty crooked and both index fingers are still numb.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rooster7

[Linked Image]

I remember that. Didn't he try and bite your tit off prior to that too?

yes three months before.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Our plotts stand up to bears pretty well, our dogs are proven in the courage department without having a heritage of killing and mauling their owners,, there is a huge difference between courage and instability.

I assume by that that you mean to imply that boar dogs (and I’m not talking about hounds), bulldogs, and guard dogs are unstable by breed. This is absurd. Even if we only looked at Pitbulls, only the tiniest percent of them ever, in their whole lives, showed inappropriate aggression towards a human being.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokinggun
Those dogs were neglected. This is from the article that JoeBob linked above:
I do believe that she would still be alive if it were any other breed, but she lost the bond she should have had with her dogs when she left them with her dad and they were left out in the cold in a pen and not cared for properly.

My dogs were left entirely alone in the back yard for more than two months when I went to the UK with a bicycle in the summer of 2016. All the caretaker did was feed 'em and check their water at least every other day (less care than I had been given to understand would occur). All of them lost weight but all were healthy, even the cat.

Dogs live in the "right now", when I got back we simply picked up our daily routine as if I had never left.

There's lots of explanations possible as to why them two dogs suddenly killed and ate that poor girl, how both of them were uncut males, how both of them were from a breed originally bred to kill and maul . Suffice to say very few dogs would have done what they did.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 12/19/17.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Wait, they killed her because she didn’t maintain a bond? What was she, a lion tamer or a dog owner?

Last edited by JoeBob; 12/19/17.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Wait, they killed her because she didn’t maintain a bond? What was she, a lion tamer or a dog owner?

Yep, she was Kimba,,,the queen of the pride, she slept at the doorway of the cave,,,and all adored and respected her, then 1 day she didn't maintain her bond with the pride...so they killed and ate her.

It's totally normal man.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Too bad she wasn’t able to read this thread, what with all the dog whisperers and all.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those dogs were neglected. This is from the article that JjoeBob linked above:

Blackwood said Stephens had left the dogs with her father. The indoor dogs were then held up outside “in the cold” in a small kennel. Stephens would return home about five times a week to see the canines.

“[Stephens’ father] wasn’t taking care of them — it wasn’t his responsibility,” Blackwood said.

Agnew confirmed the medical examiner said Stephens was on her “menstrual period,” but added: “But I don’t think there’s any way we can definitively say what caused the attack.”

That bond is so important with dogs. I read all the time about the broken bond induced human consumption by Labs, Goldens, Border Collies, Poodles and such. It was just a matter of time before it happened with a pit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

My dogs were left entirely alone in the back yard for more than two months when I went to the UK with a bicycle in the summer of 2016. All the caretaker did was feed 'em and check their water at least every other day (less care than I had been given to understand would occur). All of them lost weight but all were healthy, even the cat.

Dogs live in the "right now", when I got back we simply picked up our daily routine as if I had never left.

There's lots of explanations possible as to why them two dogs suddenly killed and ate that poor girl, how both of them were uncut males, how both of them were from a breed originally bred to kill and maul . Suffice to say very few dogs would have done what they did.

Have you ever read a book called "The Art of Racing in The Rain?"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I assume by that that you mean to imply that boar dogs (and I’m not talking about hounds), bulldogs, and guard dogs are unstable by breed. This is absurd. Even if we only looked at Pitbulls, only the tiniest percent of them ever, in their whole lives, showed inappropriate aggression towards a human being.

Don't get confused,, and never assume

Do 2 searches to humor me,,

1- Pit bull attacks person,,, you will get About 1,440,000 results
2- Bear Hound attacks person,,, you will get about 0 results

Heck keep going if you want,,

Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada
September 1982 to December 31, 2014

from

https://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/dog-attack-deaths-maimings-merritt-clifton-2014.pdf

Breed Attacks

Pit bull 3397
Pit bull/Akita mix 4
Pit bull/Australian shepherd 2
Pit bull boxer mix 35
Pit bull/chow mix 11
Pit bull/Doberman mix 1
Pit bull/Doberman/GSD/Lab 2
Pit bull/Great Dane 1
Pit bull/Great Dane/Dalmatian 1
Pit bull/GSD mix 15
Pit bull/Lab mix 43
Pit/Rhodesian ridgeback mix 2
Pit bull/Rott. mix 56
Pit bull/Sharpei mix 2
Pit bull/Sheltie mix 7
Pit bull/Weimaraner mix 1
Pit bull/wolf hybrid 1
Pit mix unknown 22

all pit and pit mixes results in 307 Fatalities

Plott hound 10 Attacks with NO fatalities

Pit bulls fight to the death better than any other breed, that's all they do better. Justify that ability anyway you like but that is all you are doing, Justifying that the risk is worth it.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Don't get confused,, and never assume

Heck keep going if you want,,

Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada
September 1982 to December 31, 2014

from

https://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/dog-attack-deaths-maimings-merritt-clifton-2014.pdf

Breed Attacks

Pit bull 3397
Pit bull/Akita mix 4
Pit bull/Australian shepherd 2
Pit bull boxer mix 35
Pit bull/chow mix 11
Pit bull/Doberman mix 1
Pit bull/Doberman/GSD/Lab 2
Pit bull/Great Dane 1
Pit bull/Great Dane/Dalmatian 1
Pit bull/GSD mix 15
Pit bull/Lab mix 43
Pit/Rhodesian ridgeback mix 2
Pit bull/Rott. mix 56
Pit bull/Sharpei mix 2
Pit bull/Sheltie mix 7
Pit bull/Weimaraner mix 1
Pit bull/wolf hybrid 1
Pit mix unknown 22

all pit and pit mixes results in 307 Fatalities

Plott hound 10 Attacks with NO fatalities

Pit bulls fight to the death better than any other breed, that's all they do better. Justify that ability anyway you like but that is all you are doing, Justifying that the risk is worth it.

Here's the standard pit bull apologist response to that. Dogbite.org is an anti Pit organization. They get their data from the CDC. The CDC gets their info from reports like this one in the OP. The report in the OP mistakenly identified the dogs as pit bulls. APBT and Staffordshires (real pit bulls) don't get anywhere close to the size of the dogs that ate this pretty young lady. Many of the CDC reports are off.

Here's my rebuttal. Even if you dismiss 75% of the reports as inaccurate, pits are still over-represented in the attacks. I don't single pits out though, rather I look at the fighting breeds as a group and the dogs that ate the pretty young girl were of fighting lineage. You can Google "fighting dog breeds" to get an idea of what I am talking about, although for the sake of this discussion we can kinda rule out boston terriers and the like on account of their small size. I will also say that there have been a lot of designer breeds come out lately that are mixes of some of the fighting breeds and we need to add them to the discussion.

WITHOUT QUESTION, fighting breeds, fighting breed mixes and designer fighters are grossly over-represented in the attack numbers. It's all but guaranteed when we read one of these reports we are going to learn that the dog is of fighting lineage. It's not like when someone reports a dog attack they are confusing labs, poodles, pointers, and Aussies for pits or pit mixes.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Apples and oranges, first of all, because of what a minuscule number of bear dogs there are vs the number of Pitbulls. Then consider that even Pit mixes are classified in statistics as "Pitbulls," yet this is not the case for any other breed. Then consider the total number of "Pitbulls" in the US vs the total number of Pitbull bites. As to the latter comparison, it demonstrates that the overwhelming majority of Pitbulls are not problematic. Then consider that the problematic Pitbulls are almost always maintained as livestock rather than as house companions, and most of those that are problematic are owned by criminals. Any breed that's wildly popular among criminals is going to be more likely to cause problems in society than breeds that are not. Before they were adopted as the semi-official criminal's dog (right around 1980), you never heard of a Pitbull attacking anyone. If you even came across anyone who'd heard of the breed, the typical response would have been, "Oh yeah, that dog on the Little Rascals."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Have you ever read a book called "The Art of Racing in The Rain?"

?? I googled it, about a dog that worked to keep his owner's family together?

All sorts of jokes spring to mind but out of respect for the deceased young woman I'll refrain.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pits are great dogs and a pleasure to have around. Right up to the point that they aren't! Unfortunately people don't know when that is until it's too late.

Last edited by Bobmar; 12/19/17.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Apples and oranges, first of all, because of what a minuscule number of bear dogs there are vs the number of Pitbulls. Then consider that even Pit mixes are classified in statistics as "Pitbulls," yet this is not the case for any other breed. Then consider the total number of "Pitbulls" in the US vs the total number of Pitbull bites. As to the latter comparison, it demonstrates that the overwhelming majority of Pitbulls are not problematic. Then consider that the problematic Pitbulls are almost always maintained as livestock rather than as house companions, and most of those that are problematic are owned by criminals. Any breed that's wildly popular among criminals is going to be more likely to cause problems in society than breeds that are not. Before they were adopted as the semi-official criminal's dog (right around 1980), you never heard of a Pitbull attacking anyone. If you even came across anyone who'd heard of the breed, the typical response would have been, "Oh yeah, that dog on the Little Rascals."

Surely you said this in jest?

FJB & FJT
Page 8 of 24 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (35, 35WhelenNut, 7mm_Loco, 673, 264mag, 44automag, 15 invisible), 977 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,889
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.