Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#12481268 12/20/17
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Iam thinking about trying the s&w 500 in a 4 inch barrel,
if I don't like the short barrel,how hard will it be to resale?
Also would it be big deal and expense to change the barrel ?

Last edited by keekeerun; 12/20/17. Reason: Spell

Frank Glaser,Alaska Wolfman:"with a lung shot on hoofed game the .220 Swift killed quicker than any other gun I ever owned."That included caribou,moose,wolf,and sheep.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That's a lot in a 4" barrel. What is your intended purpose and have you shot one?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a huge X-frame fan, but have found that the 6 1/2-inch .500 Smith is my favorite configuration. The balance is pretty good and the barrel makes a bit more sense given the nature of the cartridge. JMHO.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Shop used and with some patience buying and selling, you should be out much at all. You'll lose more in the ammo cost.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 500 with the 4 inch barrel. I've never been a fan of long-barreled handguns. I've killed deer and hogs at 100 yards with my longest shot 123 yards on a hog. This with open sights and rested firmly. I shoot at least each weekend (outside hunting season) and feel very confident in mine and the guns ability at that yardage. Hitting a paper plate is routine.

I sold all my 6"+ revolvers. If I want to hunt longer range, I enjoy my rifles.

Used 500s seem to sell pretty well. Unless you are able to replace the barrel yourself, paying for a barrel and the labor to switch it would be prohibitive in my experience.

I say wear ear protection and enjoy the convenience of the 4" barrel.

Just my opinion/experience. YMMV.

Last edited by 1Nut; 12/20/17.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
The 4" barreled 500 is perfect imo

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Resale is very good, good market for that configuration. Tons of power in a much more manageable package. Very accurate as well. Mine shot a 700 gn bullet at 1050fps, 440 at damn near 1400! You wont be disappointed if thats what youre looking for. I like to play and have owned just about everything. I always come back to the good ole 45 colt, but love to play with em all

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Try the 3" barreled one! It's actually not that bad! Of course, I handload them down a bit.

Attached Images
500snub.jpg (57.63 KB, 21 downloads)
Last edited by desertoakie; 12/21/17.

Ken
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
..another 4"/.500 Fan... Have had mine since shortly after they came out...just a great fun gun to shoot. Anyone who shoots it has a smile for several days...

I've settled on 350 grain bullets to be more than adequate for my needs. Recoil is modest and anyone can shoot it.

Also found a TC Encore 20" barrel cheap and it is a hoot to shoot....

If you don't like the comp, there is a poster over on the S&W Forums that makes a solid insert....

Bob

Last edited by RJM; 12/21/17.

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The .500 S&W can't burn the powder in a short barrel. The inclination is to use a lighter bullet and a pinch of Unique. Recoil is harsh too. I agree with Whitworth that it starts at 6-1/2" and gets better. Even the .500 JRH starts at 6".
All forget spin and the loss of velocity. It comes down to luck to hit long range with a short barrel.

Attached Images
th_50yardswiththe500JRHBFR.jpg (3.77 KB, 19 downloads)
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
To go even more I have the BFR .500 JRH with a 7-1/2" barrel. I set 5 shotgun shells on the side at 50 yds. Centered all but only found 3 in the weeds. 3/4" targets. Then a shell at 100 yards.

Attached Images
.500 JRH shotgun shells. .jpg (81.2 KB, 9 downloads)
.500 shotgun shell.jpg (49.8 KB, 7 downloads)
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Sorry, but the fact is all of the powder, that is going to burns, burns within the first inch or so. Longer barrel gives the expanding gasses longer to accelerate the projectile.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A short barrel will not spin up a bullet enough for stability. Some guns have a gain twist like the .460 S&W so to cut it down approaches a smooth bore. I will never go too short. But I don't carry and stick a gun into a BG. I hunt deer. My best is a 10-1/2' Ruger SBH. My BFR's in .475 and JRH are 7-1/2" and the 45-70 is 10".

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
A short barrel will not spin up a bullet enough for stability. Some guns have a gain twist like the .460 S&W so to cut it down approaches a smooth bore. I will never go too short. But I don't carry and stick a gun into a BG. I hunt deer. My best is a 10-1/2' Ruger SBH. My BFR's in .475 and JRH are 7-1/2" and the 45-70 is 10".

Twist rate is not affected by barrel length. All revolvers have enough twist for normal blunt bullets that are commonly used.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jwp475

Sorry, but the fact is all of the powder, that is going to burns, burns within the first inch or so. Longer barrel gives the expanding gasses longer to accelerate the projectile.

Not true at all. Seen unburned powder on the bench and in brass with barrels too short. You need to feed pressure. Even the lowly .22 needs a certain length, maybe 16" then the bullet will slow if the barrel is too long. A large bore does better with 26" or more. Powder is not gone in an inch. You can't burn 88 gr of 4831 in a .300 Weatherby in an inch. Any short barrel will have a huge nuzzle flash with powder that does not burn until out of the barrel.
7 gr of Unique in a .44 will run out of gas soon and works in a short barrel so why not 24 gr of 296? Most will be blown out the muzzle. Once powder is gone, gas stops expanding, it is volume like the cheap pancake air compressor that will not spin an impact gun. It is why I have a 60 gallon compressor for tools. Can you paint a car with a 3 gallon pancake?
I don't know where your facts come from. I have seen too much powder come out of the muzzle like a flare to burn in the grass. By your standards it should be gone. Once the powder is burned up, no more pressure is made. Magic fairy that increases gas.
Many military rifles reached 27" or more and long rifles are 42". Why in the world do you need 42"? maybe because powder is still burning. You can't get more velocity when the powder is gone. If you are correct a 1" barrel is as fast as a 10". Show us. A .44 with 24 gr of 296 from a 2" barrel should be as fast as from 7-1/2', Not hardly. You say gas expansion bit what makes gas?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Not true at all. Seen unburned powder on the bench and in brass with barrels too short. You need to feed pressure. Even the lowly .22 needs a certain length, maybe 16" then the bullet will slow if the barrel is too long. A large bore does better with 26" or more. Powder is not gone in an inch. You can't burn 88 gr of 4831 in a .300 Weatherby in an inch. Any short barrel will have a huge nuzzle flash with powder that does not burn until out of the barrel.
7 gr of Unique in a .44 will run out of gas soon and works in a short barrel so why not 24 gr of 296? Most will be blown out the muzzle. Once powder is gone, gas stops expanding, it is volume like the cheap pancake air compressor that will not spin an impact gun. It is why I have a 60 gallon compressor for tools. Can you paint a car with a 3 gallon pancake?
I don't know where your facts come from. I have seen too much powder come out of the muzzle like a flare to burn in the grass. By your standards it should be gone. Once the powder is burned up, no more pressure is made. Magic fairy that increases gas.
Many military rifles reached 27" or more and long rifles are 42". Why in the world do you need 42"? maybe because powder is still burning. You can't get more velocity when the powder is gone. If you are correct a 1" barrel is as fast as a 10". Show us. A .44 with 24 gr of 296 from a 2" barrel should be as fast as from 7-1/2', Not hardly. You say gas expansion bit what makes gas?

Again you are assume and not knowing. I stated that all “the powder that is going to burn” is burnt in the first inch or so with proper ignition. Back in the 70’s when used a lot of 2400 I always found granules of unturned powder even with 10” barrel no more and no less than with shorter barrels.

When powder burns in what length has been covered adnasum on 24 Hour in other forums and is rather well proven

The rifles will burn “all the powder that’s going to burn in 3 or 4 inches. Believe it or not, but you are wrong.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Twist rate is not affected by barrel length. All revolvers have enough twist for normal blunt bullets that are commonly used.

I had the same discussion with a guy on another forum regarding short barrels and velocity, and his ability to grasp the concept was as elusive as bfr's. He couldn't grasp that bullet spin is a simple formula based on twist rate and velocity.

Yes, a shorter barrel will give up some velocity, typically 25-30 fps/inch. And consequently the bullet will be spinning slightly slower. But if a given bullet length and barrel twist requires say 1000 fps to stabilize, whether you have a 4" barrel and 1200 fps or a 6" barrel and 1250 fps, the bullet will stabilize.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

I had the same discussion with a guy on another forum regarding short barrels and velocity, and his ability to grasp the concept was as elusive as bfr's. He couldn't grasp that bullet spin is a simple formula based on twist rate and velocity.

Yes, a shorter barrel will give up some velocity, typically 25-30 fps/inch. And consequently the bullet will be spinning slightly slower. But if a given bullet length and barrel twist requires say 1000 fps to stabilize, whether you have a 4" barrel and 1200 fps or a 6" barrel and 1250 fps, the bullet will stabilize.

Exactly.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Spin is dictated by velocity. Lose velocity and spin decreases.
Let me do this. Take a 240 gr .44 bullet with 24 gr of 296 at maybe 1400 fps. RPM's are 50,400. Lose 200 FPS with a shorter barrel and get 43,200 RPM's. STABLE? My 330 gr needs 1316 FPS to be 47,376 RPM's. You say a twist rate is the same RPM's at all velocities.
Sorry, spin goes down with velocity loss. How about 900 FPS at 32,400 RPM's. You think a 2" barrel with the same twist will do the same as a longer barrel with more velocity is the same. I don't know how to explain. You need to get a 2" barrel up to 1400 FPS. A pound of Bullseye?
43 gr of 296 will burn in an inch in the .500 S&W? Get real. You will blow the gun to shreds with the pressure. You are always wrong and have been for years.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Spin is dictated by velocity. Lose velocity and spin decreases.
Let me do this. Take a 240 gr .44 bullet with 24 gr of 296 at maybe 1400 fps. RPM's are 50,400. Lose 200 FPS with a shorter barrel and get 43,200 RPM's. STABLE? My 330 gr needs 1316 FPS to be 47,376 RPM's. You say a twist rate is the same RPM's at all velocities.
Sorry, spin goes down with velocity loss. How about 900 FPS at 32,400 RPM's. You think a 2" barrel with the same twist will do the same as a longer barrel with more velocity is the same. I don't know how to explain. You need to get a 2" barrel up to 1400 FPS. A pound of Bullseye?
43 gr of 296 will burn in an inch in the .500 S&W? Get real. You will blow the gun to shreds with the pressure. You are always wrong and have been for years.

You can’t explain because you know not what you are talking about. There are no handguns presently being manufactured that do not have enough twist for the bullets used in them no matter the barrel length. I chronographed r” barreled revolver that were faster than 6” revolvers. There are several factors that affect velocity othe4 than barrel length.

If a bullet is stabile at 600 fps leaving the barrel at X twist rate, it doesn’t matter the barrel length.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (22250rem, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,398
Posts18,488,906
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.