Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They take care of you and what happens? Well, the next person who has a problem, legit or not, comes on here and the same thing happens all over again. They gained nothing by ensuring your satisfaction.

They probably should quit trying to be everyman's scope. Make the best scope they can, raise the price to be competitive with that level of quality, and quit messing with those who do not appreciate their current business model.

I don't know what the profit margin is on high end scopes, but I do have a handle on what it is with high end shotguns. They make a solid shotgun, market it well and tack on the profit which allows them to sell less and live good. Leupold currently is the Chevy, Ford, Dodge of the scope business. It doesn't always have to be that way.

If i was in the boardroom we would be giving consideration to exactly that.

Last edited by battue; 12/23/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Paul, they re-designed lots of their products, supposedly resulting in lower costs/prices. Swarovski did the same thing when they came out with their new SLC HD, now just called the SLC....big price drop.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I could be wrong, but I think leupold could fix their scope problems with !title expense. Simply upgrade , and beef up the quality of their components. Stronger springs, metal internals.I don't know anybody that wouldn't pay an extra $20 if it meant that their scope would return to, and maintain zero. I don't think they have to reinvent the wheel.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atse
I could be wrong, but I think leupold could fix their scope problems with !title expense. Simply upgrade , and beef up the quality of their components. Stronger springs, metal internals.I don't know anybody that wouldn't pay an extra $20 if it meant that their scope would return to, and maintain zero. I don't think they have to reinvent the wheel.

That's the way I think about it. Upgrading the quality of a few of the parts can't cost that much or add that much weight. It would be interesting to see Leupold beef up the internals and market that line as Heavy Duty to sell alongside what they have now. I know which one I'd buy assuming the price difference is what we think it would be. If we added 3-4 ounces to a 12-14 ounce scope I could easily live with that.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I think Formid is right in his analysis. IIRC he states that the reason more scopes aren't built to hold zero is because most people don't demand it (don't shoot that much). I wish they did too.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Wow I purchased and installed the same scope on my 6.5 X 300 as the OP is having trouble with. I took a cow elk with it in November. But I will take the rifle out and give it a good look to see if reticle and turrets are off. I mounted it by leveling the reticle and never paid any attention to the turrets. Now my curiosity is killing me. I got to get it out and check.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I think Formid is right in his analysis. IIRC he states that the reason more scopes aren't built to hold zero is because most people don't demand it (don't shoot that much). I wish they did too.

Formid knows his stuff..... His word carries weight in my view. Unbiased real results. He says it in a nice way,,,,, whether a scope is a POS or not. That's the bottom line.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Most people don't have the money to shoot thousands of rounds of centerfire ammo in a year. Others who could if they wanted to just don't see the need as they kill all the game they want to without.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by atse

That's the way I think about it. Upgrading the quality of a few of the parts can't cost that much or add that much weight. It would be interesting to see Leupold beef up the internals and market that line as Heavy Duty to sell alongside what they have now. I know which one I'd buy assuming the price difference is what we think it would be. If we added 3-4 ounces to a 12-14 ounce scope I could easily live with that.

Quantity versus quality.... Rather have quality and reliability myself......

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I don't know how to demand it other than moving away from their scopes. FWIW my last 4 scopes have not been Leupold. While I personally haven't experienced a failure other than failure to track correctly, I have read enough to turn me off.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
The 3-9x40 Leupold vx-1 on my .30-06 worked fine for me again this season. Two shots, two dead deer, both hit right where I intended. My pre season zero verification target has 3 shots in one ragged hole at 100.

Are you bragging that it has worked perfectly for 5 shots? I think that's the point I was making in my last post.
That rifle/scope combo does only have about 200 rounds through it in the two years I've had it. I have no need to put thousands of rounds per year through my .30-06. I'm a damn good shot and always have been since I was a kid but most of my "practice" is done with my .22 rimfires and .223's. I also have no need to twist turrets and/or shoot at deer a half mile away.

Yes Sir. I understand your point,and that's the point that I was making. Under those conditions your Leupold will likely perform just fine. It's only when folks start twisting the turrets and getting into shooting more that they have trouble.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The 3-9x40 Leupold vx-1 on my .30-06 worked fine for me again this season. Two shots, two dead deer, both hit right where I intended. My pre season zero verification target has 3 shots in one ragged hole at 100.

Are you bragging that it has worked perfectly for 5 shots? I think that's the point I was making in my last post.
That rifle/scope combo does only have about 200 rounds through it in the two years I've had it. I have no need to put thousands of rounds per year through my .30-06. I'm a damn good shot and always have been since I was a kid but most of my "practice" is done with my .22 rimfires and .223's. I also have no need to twist turrets and/or shoot at deer a half mile away.

Yes Sir. I understand your point,and that's the point that I was making. Under those conditions your Leupold will likely perform just fine. It's only when folks start twisting the turrets and getting into shooting more that they have trouble.

No, it's not. I've seen several Leupold variables quit on basic hunting rifles that didn't see many days in the field or rounds per year.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Most people don't have the money to shoot thousands of rounds of centerfire ammo in a year. Others who could if they wanted to just don't see the need as they kill all the game they want to without.

Agreed.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

No, it's not. I've seen several Leupold variables quit on basic hunting rifles that didn't see many days in the field or rounds per year.
On the other hand I've got a 25 year old Vari-xIIc on my .30-30 that's seen thousands of rounds and still works/holds zero perfectly. I also have several Weaver Classics varying in age from 10-25 years of which I can say the same.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Then I may be completely wrong in my assessment. Were those perhaps newer models?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Let's see..... had a 2-7x 33 on my rifle from 95 - 02 no issue,s. 8 yrs.... right around 350 rd count
Upgraded to a 2.5-8 x36 from 02 -16 no issue,s 15yrs..... 475- 500ish rd count
Upgraded to vx3i 3.5- 10x40 late fall 2016, 37 rds.......all of a sudden I had a mod70ot6 that had every scope issue one could experience. Sent it in , stayed on their case via phone....they finally said begrudingly it shot a grossly out of spec trapiziod descending to the right and had issues pairing shots....(problems they didnt want to beleive i informed them of via phone and notes included with scope) Sent a brand new in the box replacement, sold next day. That right their told the me the whole story I needed to know about the new leupold business model..... If it is cheaper and easier for them to replace rather than repair a scope, then that means to me they are making stuff that is cheap to produce with a great profit margin. Sell 100 of em and hope 80- 90 of em work fairly decent for your average hunter.... BUYER BEWARE OF NEW LEUPOLD SCOPES......

Last edited by renegade50; 12/23/17.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah, I had an old Vari-XII 3-9 that was the same way - held zero and worked great, as well as a 2-7 and 6-18 from that era that are still chugging along. The newer Leupolds seem to be the scopes having the most issues. I think that's why others are having trouble wrapping their minds around the issues, as they seem to be the guys who have a bunch of old Leupolds that continue to work.

Just this season I saw two Leupolds made within the last few years with large zero shifts and not be able to rezero (adjustments went completely wonky), and another which saw a massive zero shift but adjusted back on target and was able to finish the hunt (the last one was on my own rifle).

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
What I expect out of a scope is , it will correctly adjust per advertised click value. Hold groups. Hold a precise zero and not drift....... That is not alot to ask......

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn, wish the holidays weren't here, I'd spend the weekend re-shooting 40 rifles with a nice bottle of 12 year Glenmorangie and hand rolled Dominicans. smile

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My two varivx II 6x18 crapped out at around 250 rounds each, give or take a few . Three times each they went back. Weak erector springs each time. I was dialing them. I am pretty sure that for the price of shipping, heavier springs could have been manufactured an installed.......

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 219DW, 1lesfox, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 60 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,716
Posts18,514,139
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.