Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Some of those fellows with shotguns can't shoot for schitt !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have some pretty small short, booming rifles that I hunt with... but nothing beats a S&W mountain gun in .44 mag for chasing them into the bushes.

I've had to take off my slippers to go back in the house and swap my rifle for a pistol... when following up on 1 I had 4 more come after me in 2 different packs from 2 diffferent directions. I got the ones stupid enough to get in front the slow ones made it to see another day...

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Now you know why when ever I venture out to the woods in my home state or where it's allowed I wear my XD Tactical in 45acp with 14 230 grain Speer Gold Dots. Had a rather sobering experience three years ago roosting turkeys during spring season. Both my boys asked if they could remain back at the truck in the shade as it was quite hot and a long walk in the sun back to the roost. I said OK. I also left my XD 45 back in the truck and was armed with nothing more than a fixed blade hunting knife.

I no sooner sat down on my folding seat in some waist high brush but I heard what sounded to me as several deer hauling butt towards me and sure enough three does appeared and passed within feet of me oblivious to my presence. Within moments I heard more animals headed my way and this time it was three vary large Farrell dogs. They spotted me quickly and became quite aggressive barking and snarling at me. I usually carry a large 6' long sapling as a walking stick and I had it with me that day. I proceeded to yell and rush at the dogs swinging the stick and hitting the ground and trees as I approached the dogs. My charge worked and they broke and ran away.

I occasionally post my pre-teen sons to watch different roosts so we can cover more area when putting birds to bed. I don't like to think of the possible outcome if those dogs had happened onto one of my sons instead of me and he or they panicked and ran. From then on if I post my sons by them selves they are armed with one of my semi-auto .22s and I always carry now. If pigs encounters were a threat I would likely invest in a 10mm G20 as a cost effective alternative to a .44 magnum.

Glad the OP and his awesome daughter are OK.

Last edited by DTJager; 12/23/17.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Based on those videos if I ever decide to go hog hunting I will build me and AR-10 and stoke it with some hard hitting bullets made for use on big ole nasty hogs. Seams like fast fallow up shots are the norm.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by JPro
Like you, I have waited a few and gotten a bonus piglet or two when they come back. One of the extra benefits of shooting a sow over a boar. Oddly enough, this big sow had no piglets in that huge gut when a friend took her to the processor. Must have all been corn and rice bran! Those carbs will put it on you..... grin

Well -- y e a h smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jaguartx ,

Was there a Dr. on the fire who had a buddy leg shanked by a -shot- boar hog ?
Couple/three of years ago ?

I dont remember that Mike. I was nearly nailed by 3 boar and one momma javelina that surrounded me and alternated chaging from opposite corners at the same time after i had jumped from behind a live oak as the herd filed past me on a deer trail to grab the last little one in line on a deer hunt one time near Gonzales once when i was in college.

Yes GW, when i was a kid in the 60s the timber co lands in east Texas were unfenced. Grandad let his cattle run on timberlad part of the year and his on the rest. He fed chopped field corn at the barn at times to keep them in truck horn hearing distance of it.

Stock dogs like ole Yeller would toll or drive free range cattle to pens with funnel arms. The dog leading the lead cow in would escape under a rough cut oak plank or jump to the top of the fence and make it over, or not. Those cows were wild.
Horses and mules were kept fenced in the private pasture or house trap if being used.

Ive told of cousin and i going to the corn fields a mile through the woods with the farm/ranch pack of curs, fiests, black and tans and blue ticks one day and they attacked a sounder of hogs and drove them into the pond and branch leading to it.
Grandad paid a dollar for any wild hog we killed out of the corn fields. A quarter for terrapins out of the purple hulls ot tomatoes and 50 cents for a crow. We had so far only collected on terrapins. Dayom crows were smart and the reminton was missing one sight. Sometimes it took 10-12 shots to roll a fox squirrel from the top of a tall pine.

A dog or three would be fighting each hog in the water and we took turns with the ss 22 bolt gun shooting them. I was about 10 and sometimes had nightmares for years after from the fear of hitting dog instead of hog.

Well, i had a nice sheath western co or some such sheath knife i had gotten from Santa and my older cousin Johnny had thrown and stuck in the side of the outhouse. Being young and dumb i didnt work it riggt and broke a quarter inch off the point pulling it out. I was pissed at him and he worked trying to refashion a point with the big whetstone. It got passable. Cousin and i somehow got seperated in the pond/hog shoot melee and a big black hog came toward me in a rush in the high marsh grass in the high marsh grass at the tail end of the pond dam.

I could only see the top six or eight inches of its back parting the grass as it came, at the time i thought, for me.

I had that knife and decided i would jump to the side as it reached me and stick him through the heart as it passed. Wel,, being young and dumb i didnt lead the heart area as mr piney woods rooter rushed past. I stabbed but was slow and the knife tip hit it in the ham a bit higher than dead center and i guess at an angle with the point lower than the haft. I remember thinking it felt as if i had tried to stab a thick plank and instantly the handle was jerked from my hand.

I guess i will never forget the sight of my beloved Bowie bounding away from me while barely stuck in the butt of that hog at roughly a 30 degree angle. What was notable to me at the time was that for split seconds my knife appeared motionless for split seconds at times but then wiggled up and down violently as the hogs hind legs hit the ground.

Thats what i last remember seeing of my knife as the hog disappeared into the woods. Shake, steady, shake, steady......

Well we were just kids and told our older farm hand cousins of the story and they laughed at us mere kids supposedly killing either 7or 9 hogs in the pond so we didnt tell Grandad.

A few days later he went to plow old Bill in the fields and as the branch in the woods was dry he took him to water in the pond. Oh hell. We were in trouble a bit until we told him we had told the big guys and they thought we were kidding.

They had to swim out and rope the floaters and drag them out. He was stil, pissed enough he chewed on the big wart just below his right lower lip for a few days so we thought it best not to remind him he owed us.

Thanks grandad puss-Ervin for putting up with us grandkids all summer. May you rest in peace.

Last edited by jaguartx; 12/30/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1minute, 160user, 1badf350, 2500HD, 22250rem, 12savage, 50 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,294
Posts18,505,315
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.