Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
We all have some gag gifts, but what completely wrong gifts have you gotten from people who think they nailed it?
I got a pair of electric socks once.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gave my oldest son a "stocking stuffer" a stuffed toy that's a brown lump by the name of "poop" with a note that he could never say that we didn't give him s__t for Christmas. grin

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a few friends who don't know anything about hunting and they try to give me hunting gear. First, I don't need any, and second since they know nothing about hunting it's not stuff that I'll ever use.

I appreciate the thought, but it's kind of comical. Right before a backpack sheep hunt, I received a big old fixed blade knife that weighed 2-3 lbs. Would've made Jim Bowie proud.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Mother in Law gave me a cook book one Christmas. Gave me some Meryl Streep movie another Christmas.....Good Lord...

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by smokepole
I have a few friends who don't know anything about hunting and they try to give me hunting gear. First, I don't need any, and second since they know nothing about hunting it's not stuff that I'll ever use.

I appreciate the thought, but it's kind of comical. Right before a backpack sheep hunt, I received a big old fixed blade knife that weighed 2-3 lbs. Would've made Jim Bowie proud.

Betcha got a butt-out tool too right?

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I received a Billy Bass.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I learned the hard way Christmas Eve that "One Size" is a brand of lingerie and not "one size fits all". Just fair warning but your evening plans can change pretty quickly once you realize that you bought the new nightie 3 sizes too big

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kellywk
I learned the hard way Christmas Eve that "One Size" is a brand of lingerie and not "one size fits all". Just fair warning but your evening plans can change pretty quickly once you realize that you bought the new nightie 3 sizes too big

laugh

Ooopps!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I few years back my SIL gave me one of those BUTT OUT tools, not sure were it ended up but it was never used. After the holidays that year my wife told her family we were getting too old to exchange gifts so no more butt tools smile

Ted
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's bound to happen eventually. Some nice person will hear I like good whiskey and give me a bottle of something Canadian. Oops! grin

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Wife's Uncle does, in fact, deer hunt (though it's been several years since I've been with him). One Christmas, he gave me a butt-out tool. He claims to use his to good effect, but...........I dunno, I think maybe I won't use it if for no other reason than I don't want to use anything on a deer that I don't want used on me, or something weird like that.

When I was 19, my Grandmother bought me a 6" Buck Special. It's too long, too big, and too heavy, but it will hold a frighteningly sharp edge, so, it stays in my pack and I use it. Probably always will.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I got 2 good riflescopes, a cordura carryon bag, an elk salami and a great bottle of spiced rum this year. No complaints

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Best to give a gift card

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i got a bottle of Bulleit bourbon. i read that its pretty decent. but the chance of me actually cracking the bottle and drinking any are slim to none. on the rare occasion i drink booze, it ain't bourbon or anything remotely resembling it. been there, done that, got the stupid prizes.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rem141r
i got a bottle of Bulleit bourbon. i read that its pretty decent. but the chance of me actually cracking the bottle and drinking any are slim to none. on the rare occasion i drink booze, it ain't bourbon or anything remotely resembling it. been there, done that, got the stupid prizes.

You don't have to drink the whole bottle at one sitting. Pour a shot or two into a tumbler, sit in a comfy seat, pick up a good book, take an occasional sip.

Had bad experiences every time I had whisky in my 20's, so didn't touch the stuff of understand the appeal. In my late 40's I decided to see what all the hullabaloo was about. Turns out your tastes change as you age and sipping from a tumbler is much more civilized than pounding it down in a shot glass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We usually go to the wife's Uncle's on Christmas night for dessert and general chatting. He usually gives me some token gift, like a flashlight or something. A couple years ago he gave me a "Country Music's Greatest Hits" CD. ANYBODY that KNOWS me knows I'm a devout metal head who'd rather listen to cats fu^cking than country music. I think I ended up shooting it. Then another year he gave me a University of S.C. shirt when I've been a lifelong Clemson fan. Of well, it's the thought that counts....

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by mathman
It's bound to happen eventually. Some nice person will hear I like good whiskey and give me a bottle of something Canadian. Oops! grin

Could have been worse - could have got a bottle of bourbon!!

I got an red Elmer Fudd cap one year from my sister in law. I'm not sure if she really thought I'd use it or if it was an anti hunting statement.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman

I feel your pain.

My dear sweet sister bought me a box of Irish whiskey caramels for Christmas. She also bought a the usual bottle of JD so what the hell....

Don't get me wrong, I love JD and the like but Irish whiskey?! Pass.

Been a few years though, maybe it's gotten better.....

Last edited by SamOlson; 12/26/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Drink the Irish whiskey after drinking a fair amount of JD and it may improve the experience.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you need a gift for a weight lifter, get him a T-shirt. If it's too big, he'll be happy that you thought he's bigger than he is. If it's too small, he'll be happy that he's bigger than you thought. It works every time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,022 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,802
Posts18,496,324
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.