Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Armednfree,

SPOT ON.

As to what COs face, I've been a CO (I spent 22 moinths in the detention center.) & a street LEO & there is LITTLE similarity in the 2 jobs.

The BIGGEST thing is that I always worked the street with "back-up" almost always FAR AWAY or UNAVAILABLE at all.
(I once "got into a situation" with 8 BGs & NO "back up". ALL that I coluld do was take cover in the nearby bar-ditch & call for help. That night I had a .38SPL Colt's OP, 12 rounds & a double-barrel 12 gauge with 4 extra #1 Buck rounds. = Over a HALF-HOUR later, I got some help from 4 deputies from another county & a State P&WD officer. Things thereafter were sucessfully concluded.)

LOTS of unpleasant things can happen at night, when you are "in a mess" & ALONE.
(I spent my years as county officer working 3rd shift & with my "partner" generally 10 or more miles away. - Rural LE work is REALLY different from city LE.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 12/31/17. Reason: add

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Most individuals who are shot by law enforcement officers have one thing in common, non-compliance.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
itppowell,

YES & it is equally likely 99+% of that 323K+ were CRIMINALS, too.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
J
JWD8310 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by JWD8310
I have this discussion with other officers all of the time. People say we need better training in mental health. Some say we need to aim at limbs. Some say we are too militarized. I have my own theory on how to prevent more shootings and prepare officers to deal with threats that don't have guns. There is a group of people who deal with that stuff daily with no guns and vastly inferior numbers. They know how to deal with the worst and get compliance without immediately resorting to violence. They deal well with mental health professionals and the mentally ill alike.

Correctional Officers.

Make people who want to be cops, start inside a major jail or prison. You don't bring guns inside. You learn team takedowns on people with sharp objects. You learn to be polite when bad guys outnumber you 100 to 1. You learn that people have problems but aren't all dirtbags and still have to be deserve to be treated like human beings. You learn to coat your words with honey instead of vinegar, just in case you have to eat them.

Many of us former and some current C/Os used to get looked down on by guys on the road. Now that Im on the road and am involved with hiring at times, I look down on those who don't have that experience. I always treat booking C/Os with respect.

Lol, thanks for the laughs.

You know, it was gettin kinda slow around here and I figured you all needed something to talk truth about. Decided to go ahead and Jeff_O myself. I do use blue tape on my barrels though.

I love my current job but I’m constantly using things I learned on the inside and other officers would really benefit from that experience. Whether its talking with mentally ill people without escalating or putting people in restraints (probably cuffed more people in a month working intensive management than a police officer will cuff in a career).

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
GreatWaputi,

Well, you're half correct anyhow. = The GOOD BOOK says, "A soft answer turneth away wrath."

In nearly 3 decades of "being pinned to a badge", I've found that the soft answer almost always works to disarm the criminal.
(YES, I mean that in both ways.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HIre cops whose trigger fingers are not so itchy and who have tools other than hammers on their belt. Shooting innocent folk on their own front porch is really bad form and without excuse.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
GunGeezer,

Do you have any notion of how RARE that that sort of thing actually happens?? - DON'T believe what you've seen/heard on TV/radio & in the "newspapers".

WITNESSES, who are family/friends. LIE like rugs in MANY cases & more often than not.
(Body cams haven't stopped the OBVIOUS LIES, either.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 12/31/17. Reason: typo

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I have this discussion with other officers all of the time. People say we need better training in mental health. Some say we need to aim at limbs. Some say we are too militarized. I have my own theory on how to prevent more shootings and prepare officers to deal with threats that don't have guns. There is a group of people who deal with that stuff daily with no guns and vastly inferior numbers. They know how to deal with the worst and get compliance without immediately resorting to violence. They deal well with mental health professionals and the mentally ill alike.

Correctional Officers.

Make people who want to be cops, start inside a major jail or prison. You don't bring guns inside. You learn team takedowns on people with sharp objects. You learn to be polite when bad guys outnumber you 100 to 1. You learn that people have problems but aren't all dirtbags and still have to be deserve to be treated like human beings. You learn to coat your words with honey instead of vinegar, just in case you have to eat them.

Many of us former and some current C/Os used to get looked down on by guys on the road. Now that Im on the road and am involved with hiring at times, I look down on those who don't have that experience. I always treat booking C/Os with respect.

Lol, thanks for the laughs.

You know, it was gettin kinda slow around here and I figured you all needed something to talk truth about. Decided to go ahead and Jeff_O myself. I do use blue tape on my barrels though.

I love my current job but I’m constantly using things I learned on the inside and other officers would really benefit from that experience. Whether its talking with mentally ill people without escalating or putting people in restraints (probably cuffed more people in a month working intensive management than a police officer will cuff in a career).

Good luck with your theory.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Doesn't stop at the church door.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mad Max,

The VAST MAJORITY of persons, who are actually shot by LEOs, are VICIOUS CRIMINALS, who assaulted or attempted to harm, the officer(s).
(Come at me, armed with a deadly weapon, I definitely WILL defend myself. = In one instance, a 2-time VIOLENT ex-con came at me with a 22" long cane knife. In the aftermath, his wife complained to the sheriff that I pointed a shotgun at her husband & threatened to kill him. = She was HALF-truthful, as I DID point the pump-gun at him & told him, "STOP or I'll shoot." - He threw the knife down & thereafter was apprehended/tried/convicted & spent 220 days in the parish jail, plus 3 years supervised probation for attempted armed assault.)

In >3 decades, I've personally know of TWO cases that were even of "questionable circumstances" & those were two cases out of the THOUSAND plus incidents that I had actual knowledge of.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I stand by what I said, irrespective of the truth of what you typed. Non-compliance with either the law or the instructions of law enforcement officers increases one's odds of getting shot, significantly. Most individuals shot by leos are guilty of one or the other or both

Last edited by Mad_Max; 12/31/17.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mad Max,

Fwiw, I don't think that I was disagreeing with you. = I just don't want any non-LEO to be deceived by the Cop-HATING LIARS & BIGOTS, that one so often hears on TV or whose LIES one sees written in the newspapers.

As I said earlier, body cameras have NOT stopped the LYING by witnesses, who are family/associates of the criminal minority.
(I long ago lost count of the SILLY & STUPID lies told by "eyewitnesses", who could NOT have possibly seen what they claimed to have witnessed.)
When I worked in Baltimore, an "eyewitness" claimed that she had seen a Baltimore City Detective "assault an unarmed Black man out of my bedroom window". - When it was revealed that there was a 4-story building between where she testified that she was at the time & where the alleged assault occurred, the "witness" stated under oath that she DID see what she claimed out of her bedroom window.
(When ahe testified in court, the judge warned her that "perjury is a felony", the "eyewitness" again claimed in court that, "I saw what I said that I saw. He done beat that man real bad with a stick." = As a result of her repeated perjury, she was arrested/indicted/convicted/sentenced to State prison. - When questioned about her false testimony by a reporter from WBAL TV, the witness stated that she just wanted to "be on TV" & later admitted that she was NOT even in Baltimore on that day.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Happy New Year to all you heroic cops. My new year’s resolution will be to not believe any news articles on any medium having to do with cops except for the ones that show them bringing milk to folks who can’t get out of their house. Those instances of police corruption which I see with my own eyes I will lay off to faulty vision. If I encounter any of you in the upcoming year I will try to be a better perp.

May free donuts accompany you on all your travels in 2018.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
curdog4570.

QUESTION: How many times have you been "handled" by a police agency for any infraction??

You sound like a typical "Cop-HATER", who HATES us because you got caught breaking the law.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Regarding police shootings of blacks, they need to be taught that when the red lights come on to pull them over, they are technically under arrest until released. Have noticed a majority of shootings occur because they disregard or ignore police instructions, like show your hands, dont't come any closer, etc.
Police could give classes on how to behave when being arrested to black churches and schools, or perhaps shown on some TV ads.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by satx78247
GunGeezer,

Do you have any notion of how RARE that that sort of thing actually happens?? - DON'T believe what you've seen/heard on TV/radio & in the "newspapers".

WITNESSES, who are family/friends. LIE like rugs in MANY cases & more often than not.
(Body cams haven't stopped the OBVIOUS LIES, either.)

yours, tex

An innocent man is dead. DEAD. Children without a father. Wife without a husband. DEAD. Shot dead on his own porch, having done not one thing wrong. Not an ND.
Not an overpenetration thru a bad guy. Not mistaken identfty. Not a miss in a justifieable fire fight that killed an innocent two blocks away from a real crime. Oh hell no. This innocent man was the target, shot intentionally by SOB killer cop and without cause or excuse. And all the thin blue line can do is ramble on about it being so unfortunate, so rare, and mostly blame it on the swatter. Just an unfortnate end to the day. So sad. Our bad.

What the hell does it matter how rare it is? HE IS DEAD! That crap should NEVER happen.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mad_Max
Most individuals who are shot by law enforcement officers have one thing in common, non-compliance.

Yep. Even if you've done nothing more than answer your front door, opened it, and stepped out on the porch with no weapons, no ill intent, no danger to anyone. Even if you don't run. Even if you don't put hands on the officer who is crouched beside his car 50 yards away you must "respect my authority" or I'll bust a cap in your head and leave you dead and your family alone in the world. This dead guy just was not being compliant. Got what deserved. Nothing to see here citizens. Move along. Cops can do no wrong as long they get to go home safe.

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 01/01/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LEOs should have to carry their own liability insurance. Their record(just like a driving record) should follow them wherever they work. Rights violations, procedure violations, bad shoots, excessive force, on the job accidents, drug use, all should increase their insurance rate, Poor cops will be out of a job due to high rates.

Too many problem cops still have a job( be it with the same dept or the next town over)

Too many cities are paying high settlements for the actions of poor cops

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by satx78247
curdog4570.

QUESTION: How many times have you been "handled" by a police agency for any infraction??

You sound like a typical "Cop-HATER", who HATES us because you got caught breaking the law.

yours, tex

And your post reads just like a typical cop response. Y’all switch from being the whiny little under appreciated, victimized, mis understood, unacknowledged hero to being aggressive.

You are new here so I’ll explain myself once more...... I don’t hate cops. As individuals I count many of them among my friends, some are members here.

What I hate are Bureaucrats, and while most Bureaucrats can only deprive me of my money or property, you Bureaucrats With Badges can kill me with impunity. I depend on fear of punishment as a big factor in my security. Y’all have no reason to fear punishment because the Bureaucracy protects its own.

So..... now you know. You can stop speculating.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 9point3
LEOs should have to carry their own liability insurance. Their record(just like a driving record) should follow them wherever they work. Rights violations, procedure violations, bad shoots, excessive force, on the job accidents, drug use, all should increase their insurance rate, Poor cops will be out of a job due to high rates.

Too many problem cops still have a job( be it with the same dept or the next town over)

Too many cities are paying high settlements for the actions of poor cops

That's a pretty good idea.

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 257_X_50, 8 invisible), 916 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,919
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.