Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 24 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 23 24
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
12344MAG,

Don't confuse the trolls, the terminally ignorant & hate-FILLED ranters with FACTS, as they cannot make a cogent argument in response. = Instead, they'll complain, tell LIES & make silly remarks about your correct/knowlegable opinions.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Last edited by joken2; 01/04/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"...According to the World Health Organization, drowning is the leading cause of unintentional death in the world, with 372,000 drowning deaths reported annually.

The Centers for Disease Control report that here in the United States, on average, 3,536 people died from drowning annually from 2005 to 2014, which equates to 10 deaths each day...

from web site https://www.edgarsnyder.com/swimming-pool/swimming-pool-statistics.html

I think the 10 per day is all ages drowning in all water sources, but, I could be wrong! Apparently Americans die 100x less than the rest of the world from drowning, Interesting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by satx78247
12344MAG,

Don't confuse the trolls, the terminally ignorant & hate-FILLED ranters with FACTS, as they cannot make a cogent argument in response. = Instead, they'll complain & make silly remarks about your correct/knowlegable opinions.

yours, tex

You have posited yourself as an expert on the matter, so tomorrow when I have some free time I will ask you some questions so that you can educate me. How's that?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 12344mag
on Average 10 kids die every day of the year in a swimming pool, wouldn't it be more productive to go after swimming pools or is it just not as shocking as a dog killing a kid?

I mean if we are going to do something lets do something that really makes the numbers pop.

Excellent point. I will be searching for the first swimming pool to either dig under, or chew threw, my neighbors fence and drown my kids. Also, be looking out for kiddie pools that break out of leashes and chase after the neighborhood. Will report back. Soon, I am sure, with many examples. We already know guns do this, so probably plenty of examples of pools...go, go GOOGLE.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
westside benny,

Frankly, I'm NOT sure of that answer with any certainty of not being mistaken BUT I would suggest that the LEFTISTS of the "mainstream media" were perfectly happy to blame a breed of dog, rather than the (mostly "urban") THUGS, who fail to socialize, train or even INTENTIONALLY make their dogs human/animal aggressive.

The same thing is true of the "media types" who demonize GUNS rather than blaming the VICIOUS PREDATORS that misuse those firearms.

Also, both the guns & the dogs are incapable of accusing the media of being "racist", as the "thug-owners" can & DO.

It is also "convenient" for the press to fail to notice or tell the public that the vast majority of "pitt bulls" are gentle/peaceful house-pets, who never bite anything more alive than a pork-chop. = IF it sounds like I have little or NO respect for the "fake news mass media", you would be 100% correct in your opinion.
(While the 1st Amendment protects the press's RIGHT to LIE, though there are many things that one CAN do but should NOT do. - INTENTIONALLY LYING is one of those "should nots".)

Fwiw, my dad bought Mother & I (I was about a year old at the time.) my old "Dopey", when he was about 4 months old, to be a watchdog, as my dad was working straight 3rd shift, at the cast iron foundry,. = "Dopey", after he grew up, was utterly WORTHLESS as a watchdog, as he would have done nothing more than have "licked a criminal to death".
To my knowledge, he never even growled at anyone in his lifetime. His real "talents" were "napping under my crib", eating everything in sight, chewing Mothers good shoes, barking at stray cats (though he didn't chase cats or anything else) & playing dodge-ball with the neighborhood kids.
(I suspect that the vast majority of Pitt Bulls are about as "dangerous" as "Dopey" was.)

just my OPINION, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
PaulBarnard,

Inasmuch as Pitt Bulls weren't originally bred to be "fighters" (That happened FAR later in history by the hate-filled & criminals.= The trend to making Pitt Bulls dangerous started in the 1960-70 era in places like Boston, NYC & Chicago by DOPE-DEALERS & other VICIOUS CRIMINALS.), your post # 12522560 has been fully considered & discounted as IRRELEVANT to a discussion among thinking/intelligent adult persons.

Pitt Bulls were FIRST bred to be rodent & pest catchers, just as Schnauzers, Border Terriers, Yorkies, Kerry Blues, Airedales, English Bull Terriers, Pomneranians & any number of other breeds were originally were.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cotdamn. This started out as a dog thread and now y'all want to argue about swimming pools.....and point out the fact that lineman can handle bare wires with rubber gloves. I am so f u k n impressed with your knowledge on that subject that I am completely at a loss for further words.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
12344MAG,

Don't confuse the trolls, the terminally ignorant & hate-FILLED ranters with FACTS, as they cannot make a cogent argument in response. = Instead, they'll complain & make silly remarks about your correct/knowlegable opinions.

yours, tex

Honestly tex I don't think most of these folks are trolls, there may be one or two, I've been here for quite awhile and most of them are good decent folks. For the most part I think they are just letting their emotions get in the way of understanding, it wasn't all that long ago I was one of the pitbull haters but after some "urging" by my daughter I decided to put my personal feelings aside and really investigate the breed and since then all of the "Bully Breeds".

Any of the Bully breeds are not a dog for everyone, they all require a strong bond between owner and dog and that only comes with training and interaction. If your just interested in having a dog any of these are not for you but if your interested in having a life changing companion that you spend time with teaching and learning from they can't be beat.

The Staffy I was lucky enough to come across is by far the smartest dog I've ever had, She strives to learn and to do my bidding, I could tell this dog to run out in front of a car and she would do it.

The intelligence and the unending urge to please their masters is their biggest down fall.

My Dad was a huge dog lover and he hated pitbulls, I know for a fact he would have been upset with me for getting this dog but I also know that after he was around her and studied her he would have loved her and changed his views and probably gotten one himself.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
kid0917,

I suspect that the USA is way down on the percentage drowning figures because we routinely teach children & adults to swim. - That doesn't happen in a lot of World cultures.
(In more than one African culture, which makes a large part of the GNP from commercial fishing, many local folks drown despite living on the riverbank & seashore. - In those cultures fisherman, who fall overboard, routinely drown as learning to swim is uncommon there.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kid0917
"...According to the World Health Organization, drowning is the leading cause of unintentional death in the world, with 372,000 drowning deaths reported annually.

The Centers for Disease Control report that here in the United States, on average, 3,536 people died from drowning annually from 2005 to 2014, which equates to 10 deaths each day...

from web site https://www.edgarsnyder.com/swimming-pool/swimming-pool-statistics.html

I think the 10 per day is all ages drowning in all water sources, but, I could be wrong! Apparently Americans die 100x less than the rest of the world from drowning, Interesting.

You are correct, I typed quicker than I was thinking.

The kid numbers for the US are:

350 children under the age of five drown in pools each year nationwide. Another 2,600 children are treated in hospital emergency rooms each year for near-drowning incidents. Some of these submersion accidents result in permanent brain damage.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
12344MAG,

I don't think that I even suggested that most people here are TROLLS; nonetheless, there are a FEW here, who seem to enjoy making "clever remarks" about others & calling people "rude names".
(It's been my long experience that those who know LITTLE despise & ridicule those persons, who point out the vacuity of their ignorant opinions & their lack of understanding of even rather simple concepts. - Frankly, I feel SORRY for such persons.)

I believe that all too many of our generally GOOD members believe the propaganda that the "news" spoon-feeds to them.
(I find that those who believe the "mainstream press", given the large number of instances where the press has been exposed as KNOWING LIARS & FRAUDS, to simply be naive, intellectually slothful & ill-educated.)

According to a recent study done by a group of political science grad students at Michigan State University, about 25% of American adults will believe ANYTHING, no matter how unlikely, that they see/hear/read in the "news media".

just my OPINIONS, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Stop calling these dogs “Pitt” bulls. They are not from Pittsburgh.

They are “pit” bulls. Like the pit in which they were bred to fight.

Yours,
IB

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
ironbender,

Actually in the UK where the breed was first "scientifically" bred, the Pit Bull Terrier was called "the Londoner Dog", as most of the rich folks that owned them lived in or around London-town & utilized them to vanquish rats, mice, etc and as watchdogs.
Pit Bulls/Pitt Bulls were one of the earliest dog breeds that became popular in the USA.
(The other early imports were English Pointers, Greyhounds & Foxhounds.)

Some of the celebrities who famously owned Pitt Bulls were: GEN George Washington, COL Theodore Roosevelt, Helen Keller, The Army's famous Yankee Division of WWI, Louis Armstrong, Demi Moore, General George Patton, Sr, MG Leonard Wood, Jimmy Durante, LTG George Patton, Jr,, Humphrey Bogart, Claude Raines, James Cagney, GEN Jimmy Doolittle, Bob Wills, TX Governor Price Daniel, TX Governor James Stephen Hogg, Cab Calloway and any number of other well-known & law-abiding folks.
(It was well after WWll when Pit Bulls became "demonized by the press", primarily because they were misused by "urban criminals" in the larger cities of the NE.)

Btw, either "Pitt" or "Pit" is acceptable as the spelling though "Pit" is the more common spelling in the USA.
(It also depends of whether your PC "spell-checker" is USA or UK based.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
According to the article... the officer said: "He suspected the dogs had been bred for fighting."

If that is true and she knew about it, she got what she deserved.

I've been around pits & pit mixes as pets most of my adult life and there is a select few I would trust not to go "pack mentality" if a "situation" arose.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bocefish,

It could well be that she adopted those dogs & was NOT told that they were made dangerous. = IF that is the case, then it is the fault of the Adoption Agency people.

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 01/05/18. Reason: typo

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
[quote=las]I can count on no finger how many times I've seen a woman be the Alpha. Women should only own foofoo dogs.

I tried to tell Susan Butcher the same exact thing,

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Bocefish,

It could well be that she adopted those dogs & was NOT told that they were made dangerous. = IF that is the case, then it is the fault of the Adoption SAgency people.

yours, tex

I know that I've been seeing more frequent use of the word, 'unknown', with mixed breeds instead of saying outright that a dog is a probable mix of a known potentially dangerous breed(s) and then they'll add the name of a more popular better known as docile breed to describe non pure breed dogs available for adoption in photo ads by no-kill rescue agencies and municipal based animal shelters.

Apparently it's a practice that's become not at all uncommon nowadays, either: http://www.animals24-7.org/2017/10/18/miami-residents-no-pit-bulls-means-no-pit-bulls/

Miami-Dade Animal Services disregards the law

Sadly, the dogs who killed those three victims were each intentionally mislabeled by Miami-Dade Animal Services chief of shelter operations and enforcement Kathleen Labrada as breeds not covered by the 1989 pit bull ban, despite clear language in the ordinance stipulating that it applies to any dog of characteristics which “substantially conform” to several recognized definitions of “pit bull.”

Mislabeling these killer dogs, I believe, disingenuously misled the public in two ways.

First, the deaths of Dade, Reigada, and Espinosa made clear that Miami-Dade Animal Services had not been enforcing the pit bull ban, as the department was mandated and paid to do.

Second, not enforcing the pit bull ban allowed Miami-Dade Animal Services to boast of reducing shelter intake and shelter killing, boosting their public image at cost to public safety.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
kid0917,

I suspect that the USA is way down on the percentage drowning figures because we routinely teach children & adults to swim. - That doesn't happen in a lot of World cultures.
(In more than one African culture, which makes a large part of the GNP from commercial fishing, many local folks drown despite living on the riverbank & seashore. - In those cultures fisherman, who fall overboard, routinely drown as learning to swim is uncommon there.)

yours, tex

Its dangerous to learn to swim in Africa. Lizards.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No Paul, I will not answer your questions.

I had a hunch that's what you'd say.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 01/05/18.
Page 18 of 24 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,775
Posts18,495,739
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.