Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by jwall

I’m a miserable failure - 45 years of deer hunting and 0 book trophies.

This "book" that you speak of should never be a measure of success.
In many instances, it's a measure of whether lady luck has sided with someone or not.

I go by the "Book of Dan" if it sets my ticker to ticking fast it's a shooter...2 entries this season
My archery buck didn't have the largest rack but was a huge mature buck that weighted 230lbs and aged at 5 1/2 yrs old after he was dead
The Big browed 8pt I shot came after hunting hard for 29 days in a row both are not nearly the biggest bucks I've killed but both trophy's entered in the "Book of Dan"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Mr Bird, thanks for your input and reasoning.

I have had a ‘little’ support here on the ‘fire’ per shooting FAWNS, to be pointed —DINKS.
Whether fawns or young ( small ) bucks they CAN’T grow UP after being kilt ‘.

It makes NO sense to me to kill fawns OR small bucks. You or someone else stated the obvious earlier. Older deer yield MORE meat.

I don’t want to be misinterpreted, I’m NOT a trophy hunter !!!!!! I’m a miserable failure - 45 years of deer hunting and 0 book trophies.
Wherever I hunt I want bucks to be bigger and more of them. Killing nubbins REDUCES the number of antlered bucks where you hunt.

I don’t think that should be hard to comprehend.

Thnx Again

Jerry

You're very welcome, add me as one of the supporters for your thinking.

Nice looking deer, congratulations. [Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

In many instances, it's a measure of whether lady luck has sided with someone or not.

I've never even had a buck's rack measured.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Neither have I ever had a rack officially scored.

Thanks Guys smile

except - dvdg

Yeah Yeah your buck is bigger than mine ! whistle
laugh laugh

My hat's off to you twice for Archery kills. Usually that's more difficult. cool

CONGRATS

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kellory

I've never even had a buck's rack measured.

I score my own.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mike -

""A 30-30 is all you need, if you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa"

I have been proving that wrong since 1974. The last time I hunted OR shot a thutty- thutty was 1973.

My sig line WILL say, " I never wished I had more arch in my bullet path."
I've been thinking about that since the first time you quoted your G pa. I don't know of 1, single, advantage having steeper arches in trajectory. I don't try to shoot over limbs, bushes, or rocks.

I have never seen a flat trajectory to be a hindrance or handicap.

Just trying friendly reasoning.

Your Friend

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 44mc
ME EATHER IF IT IS LEAGLE AN I WANT TO KILL IT I WILL F SHOW HUNTING

Literate?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mike -

""A 30-30 is all you need, if you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa"

I have been proving that wrong since 1974. The last time I hunted OR shot a thutty- thutty was 1973.

My sig line WILL say, " I never wished I had more arch in my bullet path."
I've been thinking about that since the first time you quoted your G pa. I don't know of 1, single, advantage having steeper arches in trajectory. I don't try to shoot over limbs, bushes, or rocks.

I have never seen a flat trajectory to be a hindrance or handicap.

Just trying friendly reasoning.

Your Friend

Jerry

Understood Jerry. At no time did I ever imply I agree with my Grandpa but I have his words on my sig line in honor of him and because I think his words are thought provoking.
I might also better explain what he was saying since he said it to me. He meant that in the woods you can't see beyond the range of the .30-30 (approx. 200 yards) because there are trees blocking your ability to see further. So in essence, the 30-06 that I used offered no advantage. I was a 30-06 guy and that's why he said it.

Last edited by Mike74; 01/05/18.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
cool

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Otter6
In Colonial times there were hunters. Folks that were good at it,and provided for the encampment or settlement. Woodsmen. Now everyone with the means to participate in "hunting" wants his or her bit of control over the outcome. When I was young it was all about success. If you weren't successful every year,you weren't a good hunter. News flash. Not everyone is. Just like Colonial times. So,through time we have groomed things to make it easier for everyone to be successful. Like it or not,it was monetarily driven.

The video industry was the best thing ever to help drive the new age of hunting. Everyone wanted to be like Wilbur,or have their "Monster buck moment". Cameras,tree stands,video equipment,calls. All being dragged into the brush. Deer have been groomed for size,shape,age base. All to satisfy our burgeoning egos. Millions of dollars a year dumped into the "sport" of hunting.

Now anyone can do it. So all we have left is judging each other. The age of the deer isn't the real question here. It's the approval of our peers. Again,thanks to the hunting video industry.

Being on the back side of it all now,"old". I hunt to be a hunter. Never used an elevated stand or camera. Not going to start now. It's not about deer age or size. It's not about filling the freezer. It's about squeezing some enjoyment and quiet time out of life. Rest assured,if my loved ones were hungry,deer would die,regardless of their size or shape. I know how to do it. Hey,I use to watch hunting videos you know. Deer weren't put here for me to "manage",but somehow I manage to get my share.

Get up. Get out and hunt! Concern yourself with your own ethics and peace of mind. The rest is bull chit.

Otter-I enjoyed your post and agree with a lot of it. The thing that bothers me is, the ones who want to judge a man for killing a small buck. If it is a legal deer and you hunt on a lease that allows it...it is no one else's business what they shoot. If one hunts on a lease or private land with low or no fence, does anyone have the right to get mad at someone on the next lease or land who shoots "your" deer? Years ago I was watching Roger Ragland on his show and reading questions from viewers. One of the questions was from an irate viewer who questioned Roger's ethics on a deer he had apparently killed on one of his shows. I guess he had killed it after it had jumped a low fence from another property and come to his stand and Roger killed it. The viewer believed that Roger had killed someone else's deer. Roger showed a video then of a deer in OK that showed him jumping 4 or 5 fences in the one video. Roger then asked the viewer, "Whose deer is it?" Good question.

The definition of "hunting" has changed drastically in the 30-40 years here in LA where I live. I don't like a lot of the changes, but as long as one abides by the laws and rules of their lease...what have I to say about it? Nothing. Not my business. It's like country music...lol. When I was younger and liked the music...George Jones, Merle Haggard, etc. was what I listened to. My wife likes this new stuff which does not even closely resemble what I consider CM. However, when we ride together I listen to it to keep the peace!

Mr. Jerry-I believe you told a little white one my Friend...you are a trophy hunter! Those are some nice deer. Might need to see if I can round up some of my kinfolk in Arkansas and see if any of them hunt and want to help a cuz out...lol.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Ruger77, I see similar attitudes here. Have for years. I've had other hunters/friends,tell me "I've got a stand in there", when I mention hunting a particular piece of real estate. Like them hanging a stand comes with some unwritten caveat. Not my problem. Folks here like to lay claim to hunting grounds by spending a weekend hanging stands. One buddy of mine will put out 13 or more a season. If you kill one of the deer he has on one of a dozen trail cameras,you killed "his" deer. It's worse now than ever since PA is turning in some really nice bucks.

Roger rolls the same way I do. If you want to name deer,and call them yours,better put them on a leash. I always liked him. I used to do some field testing of his scents and lures years ago. He's good people.

I'm a Hank Jr kind of guy myself. With a little Trace Adkins thrown in.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
..."I guess he had killed it after it had jumped a low fence from another property and come to his stand and Roger killed it. The viewer believed that Roger had killed someone else's deer. Roger showed a video then of a deer in OK that showed him jumping 4 or 5 fences in the one video. Roger then asked the viewer, "Whose deer is it?" Good question. "...
Answer: the state owns the game, and a permit is required in most instances to ask permission to hunt it. From there, it is first permitted hunter wins. People lose sight of the reality of the situation.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hey Ruug -

"Mr. Jerry-I believe you told a little white one my Friend...you are a trophy hunter! Those are some nice deer. Might need to see if I can round up some of my kinfolk in Arkansas and see if any of them hunt and want to help a cuz out...lol."

Thanks friend. " Let me be clear" grin, Trophy has more than 1 description depending on several things. In a sense every 'deer' could be considered a trophy. Right where I'm living now but in the 60s-70s there were NO deer. I well remember my Dad saying, "the sight of a deer track would draw a crowd!" Let me tell you any deer killed was a trophy, legal or not. whistle

NOW I've had deer in my FRONT yard and anywhere in the community. So killing 'deer' or bucks is NOT such a rare event.

Earlier when I said, "I'm not a trophy hunter" I was referring to any B & C trophy (45 yrs and 0 B&C racks). OTOH, yes, I have boxes full of antlers from the past and EACH one is a trophy even if it's small. Many of them, I can think back and some friend, or something different happened and it will bring a smile to my face.

Thanks Again

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Originally Posted by WTM45

You'll start shooting big deer, body weight and/or rack size, when you quit shooting small deer.

In some areas, doing that simply means "tag soup" for the hunter.
Too broad a brush.
Management varies, and has to, even within a state's regions.

Concur, but "tag soup" is not a good excuse to shoot a young buck, except for those at subsistence level. For them, whole different standard is in play and I have no qualms whatsoever.

Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by WTM45

You'll start shooting big deer, body weight and/or rack size, when you quit shooting small deer.

In some areas, doing that simply means "tag soup" for the hunter.
Too broad a brush.
Management varies, and has to, even within a state's regions.

Too many deer will equal low body weight. Only so many groceries on a given amount of land. Camp I’m in saw that when we started shooting more does. Over several years avg doe weight went from 70# to 100# with some close to 120#.

We don’t shot the does during rut. But before and after rut. Game on.

The big time trophy hunting and contests take away from the fun of hunting IMO. It got to around here, the big buck contest gave away a 4-wheeler. I watch a FB page that posts deer killed across MS. No matter how big or little the buck is. Someone always has add “it’d been good one next year”.. WTF? Maybe this guy gets to hunt once in a blue moon and that’s his deer for the freezer for the year.

As with kids, i love for kids to kill deer. Any shape and size. Spikes are legal in MS for youth. Get the kids hooked. Let them be trophy hunters when they grow up. Kinda like fishing for kids. Take them bass fishing and it’ll last about five minutes. Take the bream fishing and them will have a ball.

Obviously the old saying is too subtle and whistled past the point. Restated - quit shooting young bucks. They cannot grow up to be a big deer, whether body or rack size, if they are killed when they are young.

Yes, totally understand about limiting the population to the carrying capacity. In most scenarios, but not all, the most effective way to reduce the population is to reduce does. I've been asked to help cull does on a large property, over 10,000 acres, a few times when they were having a hard time hitting the required numbers to meet the management goals. We'd shoot and fill the back of a pickup bed with does, take them in to be cleaned, go out do it again, and again. Sounds like fun, but it turns into challenging work in a hurry. None of the meat went to waste. It was given directly to families in the area who were quite happy to have it. Same goes for pigs most of the time.

Without question, management criteria need to fit the specific locale, but rarely does that warrant shooting young bucks by which I mean fawns, one and two year olds.

As for kids having fun, the ones that hunt with me follow the same criteria as the adults on the property. They have plenty of opportunity shooting does and every pig we see. If they shoot a buck, they know they met the same standards as the grownups.

Never heard any of them complain and they seem to have lots of fun being treated like a grownup. Have heard a few grown men whining, and I'd prefer that my nephews not grow up to be those men.

My then 11 year old nephew shot his first buck, which was a mature 10 that went 148" and 220 pounds. Right place at the right time for sure, but the foundation for success was the property owner not letting people shoot the young bucks. It was a relatively small property too, just a few hundred acres of mesquite in the middle of a some big ag fields. The deer had lots to munch on at night, and spent the days in this wooded property. So even on smaller properties, letting them grow up can pay dividends.

Spikes are worthy of a thread unto themselves, but the spikes I see all are yearlings and I give them a pass.

If I need to put meat in the freezer, it is whatever fits the management goals for the property with few exceptions, such as shooting a buck with a broken leg this year.

I have hunted on two properties where they wanted any deer seen shot to bring the numbers down, but those were very unusual circumstances.

One of the better criteria put in place on one NWR where I used to hunt was the "earn a buck" rule. Hunters had to bring in a doe before they were given a buck tag. Worked pretty well at cutting numbers.

Interesting tag soup is what I got yesterday. Wife wanted to leave to be back home the last day of season, before dark. She hunted that morning and so did I, hoping we would see a cull for the tag. I stayed our from 630am to almost 2pm, and saw a particular 3 year old 4 point that needed to go 10 times. NEVER ever stopped when walking through openings 250 to 320 yards out.
In the meantime I lost count of how many middle aged 8s and 10s I saw, all within easy range and standing still.

I just won't kill the promising ones...

As it was I"m sure I could have finally filled the last tag if we hadn't left early.

It is what it is, and I manage the deer like I would a cattle herd or anything similar to the best of my ability, not to simply just shoot and kill.

YMMV and thats always cool. I just want to hunt with like minded people, simple and no insult intended. Sure need to get two non minded people off our lease right now and it would be about perfect..

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
and what does the book mean... nothing... you might live in an area mostly incapable. In a great area a minimum book deer could be had numerous times.

As long as you are doing what the herd needs and YOU are happy, what more could one want? Screw the book. Screw inches. Its all over rated.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Fortunately, using old guns/open sights etc etc, is an excuse for shooting 'young' critters.

You know, 'look, I shot a spike with a 157 year old Winchester in Montana, and I rock. Just ask Mike Venturino.'

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
shocked Did you say that ? smile

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 01/08/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like to shoot bigger buck and generally pass on anything less than a near or better than 20 inch wide 8 point. I do this to get more days in the field. To me a meat deer is a medium sized doe.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like to shoot bigger bucks and generally pass on anything less than a near or better than 20 inch wide 8 point. I do this to get more days in the field. To me a meat deer is a medium sized doe.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rickt300
To me a meat deer is a medium sized doe.

Same here.
I hunt in some areas where doe tags aren't available (or are a limited-draw type thing) so it's the only option if you want venison.
But I've never quite understood why folks would shoot a toy buck if they have access to a doe tag.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (35, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, Bclark, 6 invisible), 1,147 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,686
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.