Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Since our son joined the fire department, I have learned most fire calls are a result of a controlled burn that was thought safe. Thought!
A wind comes up later , and blows sparks elsewhere.

We're screwed. No wind, they call it an inversion, no burning allowed. Wind? No burning allowed.

Take away?
No burning allowed.

LOL
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I did not say to NEVER burn. Just keep it mind that it takes a while for that fire to be dead out.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Since our son joined the fire department, I have learned most fire calls are a result of a controlled burn that was thought safe. Thought!
A wind comes up later , and blows sparks elsewhere.

We're screwed. No wind, they call it an inversion, no burning allowed. Wind? No burning allowed.

Take away?
No burning allowed.

Well.

As long as you have regulatory agencies enforcing regulations, that's pretty much what you have to live with.

Either move, or follow their regulations.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

As to the title, it is probably best to let a medical professional perform the task rather than attempting it yourself.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This past fall we had some locals sneak down to the riverbottom and cut firewood. We knew about but figured why be dicks, kinda ignored it...

Until the dumbfuucks started a burn pile and had a few acres of trees on fire. Then it became it problem. It was drier than hell all summer and the idiots should have know better.

Our local VFD was down there 4-5 times over the course of a couple weeks. Big old roots had caught on fire/smoldered and it's about impossible to ever get a fire like that out.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Not directed at you wabigoon. It's kind of like firemen, fire danger, and spring rains.

Too much rain in spring, heavy fuel loads later so high fire danger in summer. Using this logic, you would deduce that little spring rain would be great, perfect for summer fire conditions! You would be wrong. Light spring rain, dry later, so bad conditions too.

I'm not sure what firemen want? It's summer, it's going to be hot and dry. Fires likely.

It seems a lot like chicken little thinking that gets imposed on all of us with the threat of huge fines and much inconvenience.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
This past fall we had some locals sneak down to the riverbottom and cut firewood. We knew about but figured why be dicks, kinda ignored it...

Until the dumbfuucks started a burn pile and had a few acres of trees on fire. Then it became it problem. It was drier than hell all summer and the idiots should have know better.

Our local VFD was down there 4-5 times over the course of a couple weeks. Big old roots had caught on fire/smoldered and it's about impossible to ever get a fire like that out.

That's why I strictly enforce "No Trespassing" on the ranch here.

You can't count on anybody to NOT be an idiot..

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
'bout 2 or 3 times a year i get a good one going. i burn everything, tires, shingles, tv's, old cans of paint, you name it. the greenies would hate me. but by the time i'm done, theres just a little pile of melted crap that gets put into heavy duty garbage bags and sent to the landfill. ya, doin' my part.

My diploma is a DD214
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I did my annual burn in November. Called county dispatch when I started and once I put it out. Simply had to wait for a fairly calm day.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Have to get a burn permit here from mid-October to Mid-May. Takes about a minute online to do. Plenty of things in the local paper of burns getting away and people without a permit being fined.

NW rainy is different than trying to burn a brush pile surrounded by a foot of fallen oak leaves.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Have to get a burn permit here from mid-October to Mid-May. Takes about a minute online to do. Plenty of things in the local paper of burns getting away and people without a permit being fined.

NW rainy is different than trying to burn a brush pile surrounded by a foot of fallen oak leaves.

An excavator on site oughta buy you some grace too.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
A great spot for the local bunnies and quail to hide from our hawks during the winter months. Also a way for me to avoid visiting our local dump. About every third trip or so to the dump, and I end up with a flat tire. Right now it's mostly bark from our last firewood run.

[Linked Image]

you are burning great fire wood THAT BARK burns like coal we get fir bark up top 3" thick up here and it is well sought after.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
From my pic above, I will light the brush pile anywhere from NYE until March or so, depending on snow cover.

Starting in April or so until the rains of Aug. it's usually a bad idea most of the summer.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead

An excavator on site oughta buy you some grace too.

Not being an idiot buys you more. Not directed at you

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I dug out a 3' deep burn pit out on the back of my place with a shovel and a wheelbarrow. I work it pretty hard after a day when we have a good, soaking rain.

I cut down two dead trees here while back and had 'em logged up and stacked back there. The whole mess got burned on Christmas eve.

I've got a lot of burnin' to be done here. I kinda like those days. I stick a half pint in my pocket,..get the rake, and hang out back there all day.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by meatsanta226
I burn all my tires, vinyl siding, chemical jugs, limbs and junk. I burn it all at night so the 'heroes' can't see the towering plumes. Hell with a permit.
. You still sound like an idiot there buddy... no matter what name you are going by today. FOAD

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Better safe than sorry.

Matter of perspective what's best.
. Ok, well noted if we see you on fire don't bother. LOL. I don't get your total pissed attitude for folks that might save someones property by calling. And IF you'd have called in, then no one would even show up. Really damn simple if you ask me.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've got an old basement on the ranch - call the local (8-10 miles) VFD chief, and check with him before burning - also call the VFD in the village south of us (~15 miles) so everyone knows what is happening. I also try to choose my times.
Some diesel, a cup of gasoline, match, friends, and a 6 pack are cheap, safe entertainment! smile
I've offered the VFD a burger and hot-dog roast (beverages provided) - but they have yet to accept. They generally leave it to me, knowing I have contact info if the SHTF!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Better safe than sorry.

Matter of perspective what's best.
. Ok, well noted if we see you on fire don't bother. LOL. I don't get your total pissed attitude for folks that might save someones property by calling. And IF you'd have called in, then no one would even show up. Really damn simple if you ask me.

If you need a nanny state, things are going the right direction.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone want to make a bet on highest flames?

(sustained flame height for +1 minute)

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (10gaugemag, 44automag, Anaconda, 450yukon, 10 invisible), 1,041 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,379
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.