Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by FreeMe

I thought there was no question that he was referring to an older brother.

I thought of that, but he capitalizes it, like Orwell.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by FreeMe

I thought there was no question that he was referring to an older brother.

I thought of that, but he capitalizes it, like Orwell.

Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I capitalize Dad and Mom too, when talking about my own. I can't recall ever writing about my brothers, but I would logically default to "dad" if I was writing it with the "my" qualifier. I think this is way off any point of this thread anyway....

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by WTM45

What exactly is "a double action revolver - Condition Two"?

A six shot, loaded with five, cylinder aligned for carry where the first trigger pull is akin to flippin' a safety! HA!

Damn... Who'd a thunk of something so stupid with a modern double action revolver? Just... damn!

Was a "tongue in cheek" response... for laughs!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
I'm sitting here reading this with a 9mm Shield in an IWB kydex holster with a 147 gr Federal HST +p round in the chamber. If I need it, it will go bang as soon as I draw the gun and pull the trigger. Yet the kydex holster completely blocks the trigger rendering it just as safe as an empty chamber.

Until you draw and find the barrel still pointed at your leg.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Condition Two is considered loaded chamber, loaded magazine, hammer down. Pretty well describes the way I carry a revolver. On the old Colts and others they carried hammer down on an empty chamber for safety reasons. I'd consider that Condition Three.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WTM45

A six shot, loaded with five, cylinder aligned for carry where the first trigger pull is akin to flippin' a safety! HA!

Condition Two is hammer down on a loaded chamber with a loaded mag in place. Hammer down on a fully loaded revolver pretty well meets that description.

Unless you are from a different planet or something.

I agree that pulling the trigger on a loaded DA revolver is akin to flipping the safety on a Condition One semi. The difference with my handguns is the trigger pull - the revolvers are heavy, the semis are light. Big difference.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Bristoe
What would WBH do?

Who?

While we're at it, who is the "Big Brother" that CH keeps referring to? It appears to be a specific person, not the .gov as most of us think of when we hear "big brother".

Not that I really care, mostly just following this thread for the entertainment.

Big Brother is exactly that. He's been carrying for 30-40 years in Condition One and gives me the same crap people here do about carrying in Condition Three..

I have no intention of changing. Deal with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Condition Two is considered loaded chamber, loaded magazine, hammer down. Pretty well describes the way I carry a revolver. On the old Colts and others they carried hammer down on an empty chamber for safety reasons. I'd consider that Condition Three.

Chit... here in the Ozarks we just call that "Condition Two double action revolver"... a loaded gun.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Chit... here in the Ozarks we just call that "Condition Two double action revolver"... a loaded gun.

'Condition Two' is more descriptive than 'loaded gun' as it indicates the hammer position as well as chamber status. A revolver with a loaded cylinder and the hammer cocked is very different than one with the hammer down. But perhaps you haven't noticed.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Come on guys. These threads get dumb enough without assigning the conditions of readiness, for semi-automatic pistols, to revolvers.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

'Condition Two' is more descriptive than 'loaded gun' as it indicates the hammer position as well as chamber status. A revolver with a loaded cylinder and the hammer cocked is very different than one with the hammer down. But perhaps you haven't noticed.

I would notice a cocked hammer on a revolver. And since a basic gun safety rule is to always consider a gun loaded until you know different I would consider a handgun, cocked or uncocked, loaded until I knew differently. If someone made up a name to describe its status, I'd still consider the gun loaded until I knew different. I'd also question if they knew what the hell they were talking about since that term is applied to semi automatic pistols and not revolvers and I'd be very cautious around them if they were handling a firearm. In fact, I might discourage that until they had some formal training and experience.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do not carry a concealed handgun because I think it's cool, or because I especially like to, or because everyone else is............I carry one in order to protect me and my family from potential harm, and I consider it an absolute requirement that I be able to get it into action as quickly as possible. In a gunfight, the winner is probably going to be the one who shoots first, providing of course, that he knows how to shoot. That is why I always carry with a round in the chamber. If one is carrying a semi-auto without a round in the chamber, there is always that possibility that if they have to rack the slide in order to chamber a round, they might be unable to do so. That's a chance I'm unwilling to take.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR
I'm sitting here reading this with a 9mm Shield in an IWB kydex holster with a 147 gr Federal HST +p round in the chamber. If I need it, it will go bang as soon as I draw the gun and pull the trigger. Yet the kydex holster completely blocks the trigger rendering it just as safe as an empty chamber.

I shoot competitions that DQ you for sweeping yourself, haven't been DQ'd yet nor have I had an ND. Finger is out of the trigger guard till gun is on target. Still safer than having to put a round in the chamber when you need it. I know competitions are won by split seconds, I bet gun fights are too.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by TWR

Still more scared of the gun than the bad guy, and lacking any faith whatsoever in your own training and skills.

Last edited by liliysdad; 01/16/18.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by TWR

. I know competitions are won by split seconds, I bet gun fights are too.

Of course they are.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
B
Absolutely carry with a round in the chamber.
Of my three choices for pocket carry, two are revolvers anyway. A 357 magnum and a 44 Special.
My third is a Ruger LCP2, 6 in the magazine, one in the chamber.

We live in a rural, very low crime area, but one just never knows what's around the corner.

"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill
Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I would notice a cocked hammer on a revolver. And since a basic gun safety rule is to always consider a gun loaded until you know different I would consider a handgun, cocked or uncocked, loaded until I knew differently. If someone made up a name to describe its status, I'd still consider the gun loaded until I knew different. I'd also question if they knew what the hell they were talking about since that term is applied to semi automatic pistols and not revolvers and I'd be very cautious around them if they were handling a firearm. In fact, I might discourage that until they had some formal training and experience.

While I'm fully aware that Col. Cooper's modal conditions are typically applied to semi-auto handguns, their basic definitions can be applied equally well to rifles and revolvers as there is nothing in those definitions to prevent doing so. The critical components of those definitions are chamber full or empty, hammer cocked or not, magazine in place or not, magazine loaded or not. A revolver's cylinder can be loaded or not, striker fired and bolt-action weapons can be cocked or not and it really doesn't matter if the magazine is tubular, stacked, rotary or detachable or whether the firearm is a single-shot with no magazine at all.

Does attaching a buttstock to a semi-auto pistol change the modes of readiness that are possible? No. Does a longer barrel affect the modes? No. Does changing from an autoloader to a lever or bolt-action really change the possible modes of readiness that are possible? No. Is there a significant difference in the various states of readiness that are possible with a pistol-gripped AR with a rifle length barrel and a semi-auto, striker-fired pistol with a safety and a 3" barrel? No. Or the High Standard Model C .22 Short pistol and Remington Model 24 .22 Short semi-auto rifle I've been shooting for the last 60 years? No.

How would you define the possible states for a single-shot, breech-loaded pistol built on a 1911 frame? Or a bolt action pistol built on a 1911 frame? Or an auto-loader carbine built on a 1911 frame? All of these exist.

I didn't make up a name, I just recognize that Cooper's definitions apply more or less equally well to a wider variety of firearms than just the 1911 pistols he favored.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/17/18.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Coyote Hunter,
Seriously, you seem like a good guy with good intentions. You'll do what you want to do because no amount of discussion can sway what you believe is the right way to handle a self defense firearm. Most of the people responding to you recognize your fear of a negligent discharge is only because of your insistence of carrying with an empty chamber. The constant manipulation of the firearm increases your risk. Most ccw folks recognize the very real possible immediate need for a self defense weapon because we have no crystal ball warning of eminent threats. So, we charge the gun and then quit monkeying with it. Safer because we aren't constantly manipulating the weapon and safer in case we need the gun in an emergency to save our life or the life of others. I agree with the poster that stated you fear handling your firearm. I could be wrong. Regardless you carry on as you think best and a sincere best wishes.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

While I'm fully aware that Col. Cooper's modal conditions are typically applied to semi-auto handguns, their basic definitions can be applied equally well to rifles and revolvers as there is nothing in those definitions to prevent doing so. The critical components of those definitions are chamber full or empty, hammer cocked or not, magazine in place or not, magazine loaded or not. A revolver's cylinder can be loaded or not, striker fired and bolt-action weapons can be cocked or not and it really doesn't matter if the magazine is tubular, stacked, rotary or detachable or whether the firearm is a single-shot with no magazine at all.

Does attaching a buttstock to a semi-auto pistol change the modes of readiness that are possible? No. Does a longer barrel affect the modes? No. Does changing from an autoloader to a lever or bolt-action really change the possible modes of readiness that are possible? No. Is there a significant difference in the various states of readiness that are possible with a pistol-gripped AR with a rifle length barrel and a semi-auto, striker-fired pistol with a safety and a 3" barrel? No. Or the High Standard Model C .22 Short pistol and Remington Model 24 .22 Short semi-auto rifle I've been shooting for the last 60 years? No.

How would you define the possible states for a single-shot, breech-loaded pistol built on a 1911 frame? Or a bolt action pistol built on a 1911 frame? Or an auto-loader carbine built on a 1911 frame? All of these exist.

I didn't make up a name, I just recognize that Cooper's definitions apply more or less equally well to a wider variety of firearms than just the 1911 pistols he favored.

If I understand correctly, Condition One = fully charged, cocked, safety on. Condition Two = fully charged, not cocked,safety on. No safety on a revolver, so I would say the terms don't apply to all firearms. What am I missing? Not being argumentative, genuinely curious.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I skipped the entire thread knowing it contained a bunch of posts from a bunch of "experts" telling a bunch of others that they are stupid for doing things the way they personally prefer, to answer the question posed in the title. Yes, always.

Last edited by Mad_Max; 01/17/18.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (450yukon, 375sunrise, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 22 invisible), 1,951 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,507
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.