Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I hang mine from the back legs mainly because my Dad made a gambrel for me and it works well with a come-along to hang from our back yard swing set. Club I hunt also has gambrels on winches so they are what I use.

GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Why do you gut them? I hang from back legs, skin him, remove back straps, remove front shoulders, cut head off, get as much neck meat as I can, cut gut liner enough to reach in to get tender loins, remove one ham, then the other, ribs and guts fall in gut bucket. I did read on a post here not long ago to split skin down belly and back. I tried that. It’s much easier to pull skin off.

I don’t use anything but my Buck knife. Why would you need a saw??

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
No right or wrong way. Just get it done !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Why do you gut them?

Not everyone can drive up to the corn spinner for wheeled retrieval. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I gut only at our small family spot where I have a walk in reefer to hange the body to age. All my other kills get the gutless method.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Head down always.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495
Here is another one.

How many use a bone saw when cleaning a deer when you don't need a saw at all?

I use a Sagan Saw to cut a section out of the pelvic bone and then break the pelvis so that I can pull all of the entrails out as one unit, no need to cut around the anus and tie it off.

If I can drive a vehicle to the deer, I usually bring along a pair of limb clippers and use that tool to cut the pelvis bone, they are just a little bulky to carry far from a vehicle, unless you have a son or nephew along to do the carrying.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
At home, gut & rinse on the garages apron.

Hang, then clean & rinse with water/vinegar solution.

[Linked Image]

Skin & process, not before the next weekend.

Away, @ camp.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Use what you got !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Why do you gut them?

It depends on the circumstances. MOST of the time I use the 'gut less' method too. IF, IF it'll be a while before I can process, then I'll gut them for cooling.

Also normally I give 2-3 deer to friends, so I gut and rinse THEN they come and take whole deer for themselves.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by rost495
Here is another one.

How many use a bone saw when cleaning a deer when you don't need a saw at all?

I use a Sagan Saw to cut a section out of the pelvic bone and then break the pelvis so that I can pull all of the entrails out as one unit, no need to cut around the anus and tie it off.

I use this methodology too, however, you don't need a saw or pruning shears. I simply place the tip of my knife, at the centre of the pelvis juncture & 2-3 taps of the back of the blade with a hatchet splits the pelvis, slight push on each inner ham & done. I find it also leaves less jagged bone to rip up the back of my hands. All the guts exit through the split pelvis.

Never needed a saw for the sternum either. If you can't split with a knife, straight down the centre, move approximately an inch either side & split the cartilage between the rib bone & the harder sternum.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hang all deer head down, gut them at the barn, or nearby tree. I use a 18vt dewalt cordless sawzall for all bone cuts, and the golf ball method with a boat winch for hide removal. (Boat winch cable is routed through a snatch block and earth anchor). Wheel barrow beneath the deer for guts. Gambrels I make myself from aluminum or steel tubing and 1/8" cable that cinches at the deer's knees. You can not drop the meat, even if the tendons are cut. So far, I've made and shipped off more than a dozen to friends who want one. We have room to hang at least 5 deer at a time, each on block and tackle. Butchering kit, hangs on the wall, and I have.a string of 150wt bulbs on a construction lighting string wrapping the cutting area with 1500wts of light.
Personally, I do not gut on the ground, or in the field. I'll keep all chance of dirt away from the meat, and I just don't like gutting on the ground. A rubber surgical glove over the action of the sawzall, keeps the saw parts clean. I take the blade trhrough one of the fingers and tape at the cut, and the wrist, and no gore in my saw.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by SKane
Why do you gut them?

Interesting as my guide and I in NE BC did not gut my elk and moose which resulted in a lot less on the horses to get back to camp. Seems the same would apply for a human pack out?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

I've tried both and I find it easier for me hanging head down

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Usually head down .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by SKane
Why do you gut them?

Interesting as my guide and I in NE BC did not gut my elk and moose which resulted in a lot less on the horses to get back to camp. Seems the same would apply for a human pack out?

Riiiiiight, but that's a packout - ie, the thing(s) were quartered on the spot.
hanco is talking about getting them out whole, and, with guts. If you have to get them out whole (and can't get a quad, truck or horse to them), it's a lot easier to gut them (less weight) and drag them to where they can be loaded.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I rarely get critters out in one piece anymore but when I do I always hang head down. It is a pain to bag it but I always worry about brain goopage migrating down through the body into the meat via gravity.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I hang mine with the head down. I don't ever gut them anymore and never use a saw.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
I hang mine with the head down. I don't ever gut them anymore and never use a saw.

I was in a camp once that had a homemade walk in freezer. Worked well til freezer part quit.

Now I debone hanging. No need to gut. Cut the stomach far enough down to reach in and get sweet meat.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Head down.

Never gutted a deer anyplace other than where it died. Bringing one home to gut seems like way more trouble than it would be worth.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Lonny
Head down.

Never gutted a deer anyplace other than where it died. Bringing one home to gut seems like way more trouble than it would be worth.

I hear ya BUT I may be the exception because I hunt either AT home or on family property 3 mi. away. I like bringing it home especially if I gut it. A water hose is handy so the deer & I keep clean. I also have enuff property to dispose of head, hide, entrails. > buzzards are on it in less than 1 hour.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,725
Posts18,475,871
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.