Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
10 gauge

If I had access to a walk in cooler, I would NOT do the ice chest thing.

WHEN, when our WX stays BELOW 50* I let my deer hang outside several days. I absolutely PREFER that. Unfortunately that does not happen very often during our season.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
we always hang them neck up. thats the way i was shown 50 years ago. might be a PA thing. however i have changed a few things over the years. i skin them as soon as i get it back to camp. if the weather is going to be below 40 for a while, i quarter them and let the pieces hang for several days. we used to let them hang whole with the hair on but that makes for a tough skinning job.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’m gonna have to try the saw thing, split sternum, damn sure worth trying.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall
10 gauge

WHEN, when our WX stays BELOW 50* I let my deer hang outside several days. I absolutely PREFER that. Unfortunately that does not happen very often during our season.

Jerry

How weather has been for us lately. Almost 20 years ago I killed a doe opening Saturday, hung and skinned immediately and didn't touch her until we cut a loin out for sammiches the following Friday and didn't do anything else until Sunday. Probably the best loin and tenderest roasts I have had. Never got over 40 that week.

Even when we are warm and debone the same day I try to put in a refrigerator on trays for a day to firm the meat up. If I don't refrigerate for a day I grind everything but the loin which I beat out for sandwiches. I am a chili nut so grinding whole deer does not bother me a bit.

My bud and I kill between 10-15 a year so we can be choosy about what we do with each deer.

Looking at building a cooler ourselves. Buddy has a box off of a delivery truck about 16" long and we are thinking of framing it in, insulating it and sticking a window unit or two in it to help on warmer days

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Head down if I'm gonna hang one. Usually do the gutless method. If I can't get my truck or ATV to the critter, it'll be deboned on the spot.

Hillbilly skinning rack and a couple ratchet straps are always in the truck bed along with the cooler and a few jugs of water. Guts and bones never leave the woods. We have a nice skinning shed at our club but depending on where we are hunting on the property can be several miles away.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
10 gauge

This is a very good idea.

** "Looking at building a cooler ourselves. Buddy has a box off of a delivery truck about 16" long and we are thinking of framing it in, insulating it and sticking a window unit or two in it to help on warmer days".**

I may find a good used REF and put in my shop and ONLY run it Nov. - Jan ? I'll get serious about that this year.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hang by the backlegs until they get cut up. this gets the heat up and away quicker so they cool faster. never liked hanging by the head myself.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
10 gauge

This is a very good idea.

** "Looking at building a cooler ourselves. Buddy has a box off of a delivery truck about 16" long and we are thinking of framing it in, insulating it and sticking a window unit or two in it to help on warmer days".**

I may find a good used REF and put in my shop and ONLY run it Nov. - Jan ? I'll get serious about that this year.

Jerry

Will PM you w an idea I have had for a while about a fridge for hanging deer.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Someone else mentioned hitting a knife w/hammer or hatchet. NOT around my Dad ! !

Not a knife but I have used a cleaver to split the hams along the back bone, while hanging from a gambrel. Using a rubber hammer, or a piece of 2x4. The man that I learned to butcher from had a 2 hand cleaver that He would split beef and hogs with. He was good at it, but made me saw them. I have tried splitting deer along the backbone using a Brush hook/slingblade. Worked pretty good as long as you took little chops at a time. I did learn why He made me saw the backbone for customers to see. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
10 gauge

Jerry

How weather has been for us lately. Almost 20 years ago I killed a doe opening Saturday, hung and skinned immediately and didn't touch her until we cut a loin out for sammiches the following Friday and didn't do anything else until Sunday. Probably the best loin and tenderest roasts I have had. Never got over 40 that week.

Even when we are warm and debone the same day I try to put in a refrigerator on trays for a day to firm the meat up. If I don't refrigerate for a day I grind everything but the loin which I beat out for sandwiches. I am a chili nut so grinding whole deer does not bother me a bit.

My bud and I kill between 10-15 a year so we can be choosy about what we do with each deer.

Looking at building a cooler ourselves. Buddy has a box off of a delivery truck about 16" long and we are thinking of framing it in, insulating it and sticking a window unit or two in it to help on warmer days

Why not start with a damaged refrigerated truck? I've also seen a sheet metal and fiberglass insulation make a nice cooler with a window air conditioner. .

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Because he already has the box sitting on runners. Was a shed for storing square bales.when he was milking goats. Now its just taking up space so may as well use it.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The only time I would gut one is if it was gut shot. I don’t think I have ever gut shot one, but have gutted a couple for other guys that have gut shot them. Yuck!!

I was sitting on a hill, saw a guy shoot a deer on the other side of the road. He took his coat off, took his long sleeve shirt off, got his knife out, walked out to the deer, when he got close to the small buck, it jumped and hauled ass. He stood there looking, don’t know if he ever found that deer or not. He didn’t look happy.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hanco
I’m gonna have to try the saw thing, split sternum, damn sure worth trying.

This and another post as helpful suggestions.

The sawsall works GREAT on the pelvis, cutting the backbone off at neck or head, and cutting legs off too.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hanco
The only time I would gut one is if it was gut shot.

The only Xs I gut deer are when I can let them hang for a few days OR

When friends will come and take the deer for themselves, I gut them completely and rinse out thoroughly.

Otherwise I USE and PREFER the gutless method. The sawsall still works on the gut less ones too.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 01/20/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I will try the sazall when the other boys aren’t at the lease. I’m pretty sure I would get hoorahed if I were to pull out a sawzall.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know of at least one instance when a butter cutter chainsaw was lubed with vegetable oil and used to quarter, or more likely, eight(th) a bison.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Head down,hung on a gambrel. I skin before I gut because I usually don't have to drag one far. I prefer to keep the hind quarters as clean as possible from any contamination from the body cavity,especially if I busted a gut with a bullet. I think head down helps keep the best meat the cleanest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am not following you.

How does skinning it first keep it cleaner? Seems to me if you gutted it first, having the skin on would protect the meat from any nastiness that may get on it while gutting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CaptEdIII
Hang all mine head down for minimum of a week given good temperatures.

The hind meat is better than the neck.

-Ken

this

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
No need for a saw to remove a hind quarter from the pelvic area of a deer. Very easily done with a thin bladed knife , Let the bones be your guide.

[Linked Image]
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 16penny, 405winash, 35, 13 invisible), 1,679 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,651
Posts18,512,648
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.