Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by broomd
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by broomd
In 2018 there is no reason that a modern v8 shouldn't get 20mpg on the road. Sixteen mpg on the road is pathetic, and I am a Toyota and Lexus guy.

You say 'to MAY to', I say 'to MAH to'.....

What V8 1/2 ton gets 20mpg? Certainly not a Ford, chebby or Dodge. I get better then 16 driving to work every day 50/50 city highway. I have gotten 19.5 at one point driving to Florida. I don't drive 65MPH either, I bet if I did it would get 19.5 on a long trip.

None, you're making my point...

I parted with my latest Tundra, (I've had 4 starting with a spanking new one in 2000) and went back to a V6 ex-cab 4wd T-100.

It meets my needs, hauls my popup truck camper and pulls my Lund boat. And when I drive it down the highway without those toys, it gives me a solid 20+ mpg. I could "want" a v8 truck, but frankly I don't "need" a v8 truck.

But I do like the new Tundras! Great looking rides.

I understand. I have a 10 mile commute to work one way, so the Mileage does not aggravate me. I switch between it a Honda Crosstour and a 2006 Tacoma V6 so right now not a big deal. I bet most people do not need a large truck , I plan on using mine much more when I retire.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
I just did a 300 mile round-trip on the freeway for work and averaged 18.9 miles per gallon in my new tundra. I’ll take that.

On a trip to Goose Lake, CA I got 18 - 20 MPG on the open road (no stop-n-go), according to the dash display. My calcs were the same, based on gallons filled and miles. Over Willamette Pass I got 18 MPG for 10 gallons, that's up the pass and back down, with some heavy throttle grin

On flat ground, I was 19 - 20 MPG.

I've got the 5.7 liter and 4x4.

Mine mirrors this with a 2008 5.7 4x4. The first "trip" I took with mine was exactly 20mpg driving 70 on the interstate. Had to cross a couple of mountains (small compared to out West) but I'd guess the up gas is made up on the down side. This was with stock tires. I'd guess it would be a little less now with more aggressive tires, I haven't checked it lately.

Mine's used for truck stuff. Pulling a 3 horse/stock trailer, pulling a trailer loaded with hay or tractor, pulled a 21' camper for several years, has an atv in the back as much as it doesn't, nothing big enough to require a 3/4 ton but steady work for a 1/2 ton. It came with a lifetime power-train warranty through the dealer as long as I keep up the minimum maintenance schedule...so they seem to have faith in it's longevity. It's been a great truck and I have not complaints.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was a Toyota guy forever, only time I strayed from a Toyota was to drive a Cummins, wife’s been driving Toyota’s or Lexus for more than 15 years. My son absolutely destroyed a Corolla with 150,000 miles on it when we pretty much gave it away and he got a Tacoma for the Colorado move. But I hold Toyota accountable when they are lacking and IMHO they are lacking. I owned THREE [bleep] Tundras since 2007 and in the current day and age the SOB’s are lacking in so many ways. If they can reconfigure fuel delivery or mate the power plant to a drive train that provides modern day fuel economy and good performance in half ton trucks I would probably buy another one. I never got the kind of mileage some of you are spewing but I also threw away the P rated tires they came with immediately after buying them and I know that the Tundras were very sensitive to tire weight as well as bed or towing weight which makes no sense to me. Hell the diesel I bought to replace the last Tundra got 20-21 mpg on the highway. The Tundra was a solid 15.5 mpg truck on a tank of fuel, the tranny was never happy , even the slightest grade had the tranny downshifting and when towing it was always in lower gears which destroyed the fuel economy and annoyed the crap out of me. But I kept telling myself it’s a Toyota it’ll run forever. I really hope they make some much needed changes , I don’t keep a truck for more than 3 years usually but I’m coming up on retirement and my next truck will most likely be one I keep for a long time. So come on Toyota get your chit together and make a better performing half ton truck and I’ll probably buy it. However right now there’s no way I step out of my current F150 and into a Tundra and would feel like I’m driving the better truck, there’s just no comparison in performance.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Only way I got the mileage some of you guys are getting was either downhill, or with a stiff tail wind. W TX where I live is as flat and level as you'll find anywhere, and setting the cruise on 70mph, straight out run on highway, I could get near 18. Bump it up to 75, the speed limit on the interstate highways, and I'd get 16 max. I never reset my miles per gallon calculator over 75kmiles, and it said 13.7 overall combined MPG.

My current Silverado 1500 crew 4x4 gets 21 hwy (same roads), 16 city, overall avg for first 2100 miles is 17.1mpg. I've owned them all when we ran our small fleets in the oil patch.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
For those currently with or have had the tundra - any issues going up one tire size without a level kit? Currently has 275/65/18 Michelins at 32" tall. I want to go to a 10 ply 275/70/18 which is the same width but 33.2" tall. I really don't want to mess with levels or adjusting the front end geometry. New tires will be on stock TRD wheels.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Only way I got the mileage some of you guys are getting was either downhill, or with a stiff tail wind. W TX where I live is as flat and level as you'll find anywhere, and setting the cruise on 70mph, straight out run on highway, I could get near 18. Bump it up to 75, the speed limit on the interstate highways, and I'd get 16 max. I never reset my miles per gallon calculator over 75kmiles, and it said 13.7 overall combined MPG.

My current Silverado 1500 crew 4x4 gets 21 hwy (same roads), 16 city, overall avg for first 2100 miles is 17.1mpg. I've owned them all when we ran our small fleets in the oil patch.

Best I can get with my car is 25 but when I cross the NM border and fill up, I get 30+. There's something wrong with the gas in TX.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I put Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx LT275/65 R18's on mine no problems.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
275 70 18s on stock rig with no issues. Liking the Toyo tires so far. 10 ply.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by 30338

You couldn't post a picture of the tires could you? I really like my Cooper AT 3's but I'd like to fill the wheel well of the Tundra up a little more. However, I don't want to add a suspension lift to do so.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VAhuntr

You couldn't post a picture of the tires could you? I really like my Cooper AT 3's but I'd like to fill the wheel well of the Tundra up a little more. However, I don't want to add a suspension lift to do so.

I much prefer to have the wheel well more open. It's easier to work under there without removing the tires. It's easier to clean out the mud. If chains are needed, the last thing you want is a full wheelwell. Chains need clearance.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never rubbed with them. [Linked Image]

Never use chains so can't say about the clearance if using those.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I was a Toyota guy forever, only time I strayed from a Toyota was to drive a Cummins, wife’s been driving Toyota’s or Lexus for more than 15 years. My son absolutely destroyed a Corolla with 150,000 miles on it when we pretty much gave it away and he got a Tacoma for the Colorado move. But I hold Toyota accountable when they are lacking and IMHO they are lacking. I owned THREE [bleep] Tundras since 2007 and in the current day and age the SOB’s are lacking in so many ways. If they can reconfigure fuel delivery or mate the power plant to a drive train that provides modern day fuel economy and good performance in half ton trucks I would probably buy another one. I never got the kind of mileage some of you are spewing but I also threw away the P rated tires they came with immediately after buying them and I know that the Tundras were very sensitive to tire weight as well as bed or towing weight which makes no sense to me. Hell the diesel I bought to replace the last Tundra got 20-21 mpg on the highway. The Tundra was a solid 15.5 mpg truck on a tank of fuel, the tranny was never happy , even the slightest grade had the tranny downshifting and when towing it was always in lower gears which destroyed the fuel economy and annoyed the crap out of me. But I kept telling myself it’s a Toyota it’ll run forever. I really hope they make some much needed changes , I don’t keep a truck for more than 3 years usually but I’m coming up on retirement and my next truck will most likely be one I keep for a long time. So come on Toyota get your chit together and make a better performing half ton truck and I’ll probably buy it. However right now there’s no way I step out of my current F150 and into a Tundra and would feel like I’m driving the better truck, there’s just no comparison in performance.

What about your F150 with the 4.6L?

NYH1.

Last edited by NYH1; 02/16/18.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After swearing off Toyota for over 30 years because of a bad dealer experience I decided the ten year old F150 was going for a Tundra. Just couldn't get away from liking the Tundra better than any other new pickup on the road today. Mine is a 2015, has 32,000 miles on it and has been absolutely a pleasure to own.

I'm shoot4fun on Accurate Shooter Forum and you can see my feedback there.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by shoots4fun
After swearing off Toyota for over 30 years because of a bad dealer experience I decided the ten year old F150 was going for a Tundra. Just couldn't get away from liking the Tundra better than any other new pickup on the road today. Mine is a 2015, has 32,000 miles on it and has been absolutely a pleasure to own.

shoots, all that matters is you like your truck and it works for your needs.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NYH1

NYH1.

Only had that truck for 5 months, it doesn’t count.....grin

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

Thanks for the picture. Those tires look good. How many miles and how are they wearing? Like you, I never run chains so that is a non factor for me. However, it does look like chains would fit if someone wanted to run them.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by NYH1

NYH1.

Only had that truck for 5 months, it doesn’t count.....grin

[Linked Image]
NYH1. wink

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAhuntr

Thanks for the picture. Those tires look good. How many miles and how are they wearing? Like you, I never run chains so that is a non factor for me. However, it does look like chains would fit if someone wanted to run them.

I've got about 25,000 on them so far and looks like I can get another 30-35000 on them. Wearing good, balance easy. Had two blowouts offroad with rocks and a cattle guard using the originals. No issues since going 10 ply. These are the Toyo 352450. I'm mostly driving on rocks and snow, though no snow this winter due to drought. Last winter they handled fine though and I will probably buy the same tire again when these wear out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Same exact tires on my 2016 Tundra. I pulled and sold the stock Michelins almost immediately. Have ~30,000k on the TOYOs now- mixture of asphalt and gravel- and very happy overall. Seem to be wearing better than the DuraTracs (which I still like a lot) and Wranglers I've used on my other truck. Only thing I'll do different on the next set is go with the XTs.

Last edited by Wrongside; 02/18/18.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Just bought a new 2018 Tundra SR5, TRD Sport 4x4 with the 5.7. First tank of gas, hand calculated, gave me 16.2 mpg and 140 miles of that was pulling my boat. I'm thinking it should break 17mpg after the break in period, we'll see. Love the power, love the ride, a fine truck. I'll later add a 2.5" front levelling kit with the front differential drop spacers and maybe go to 315x20" tires so I'm sure that gas mileage will take a dive.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,427
Posts18,470,733
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.