-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't have any on my hunting rifles but watch a PRS match and you'll know what they're for.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I reckon everyone is different....as I have a hard time fathoming why anyone would not have a longer, oversized knob on a working rifle.

It might be a question of technique. I grasp the bolt knob in a "ball and socket" grip, my forefinger crooked under the bolt knob, my thumb on top. An oversized or odd shaped knob doesn't fit this space comfortably.

That's exactly how I do it.

If I can quickly cycle the bolt without using a longer, heavier bolt knob, I'm gaining without adding something.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'm not sure either. And I will admit that my sh** does stink. But not my farts.

Of course not you dummy, camo underwear hides the smell...

smile

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Tejano
Let the junk begin. I can't see any real advantage to them. Maybe with mittens on but more clearance would be better for me.

Most of 'em look like WWII grenades, I suppose you could take 'em off and heave them at charging deer. If the deer have mortars, though, the grenade is useless.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guess I'll add a little more since I did a smartass one-liner near the top. I was taught to use my palm to work a bolt, not to grasp it, and standard handles work fine for me. Can't see any advantage in bigger. But I don't shoot matches and I can't remember the last time I shot prone. Favored field position is sit on a box and use shooting sticks. Keeps one out of the mud and snow and I can see more.

So if it improves functionality or you otherwise like it, fine.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
To me, they go on hunting rifles, AFTER you've already mounted the flash suppressor.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
To me, they go on hunting rifles, AFTER you've already mounted the flash suppressor.

Don't forget the Bubba buddy cartridge thing and see through mounts. Or it is not cool.

I can see the merit in having a knob big enough to throw at and stop a charging grizzly. But if my knob was that big I could just seduce the Bear.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Guess I'll add a little more since I did a smartass one-liner near the top. I was taught to use my palm to work a bolt, not to grasp it, and standard handles work fine for me. Can't see any advantage in bigger. But I don't shoot matches and I can't remember the last time I shot prone. Favored field position is sit on a box and use shooting sticks. Keeps one out of the mud and snow and I can see more.

So if it improves functionality or you otherwise like it, fine.

I wouldn't sweat it. smile

The old military instruction was to roll the bolt handle in the palm of your hand. That was done to develop the skill of controlled, rapid fire. Rapid being a relative term. In the picture below, you can see the difference between a stock Savage bolt handle and a larger one. The stock handle, tucked into the stock when the action is closed was difficult for me to grab with gloves or shooting mitts on. The larger handle is easier to manipulate.

[Linked Image]

The mid winter blahs have set in, with some people making fun of the larger bolt handles. I wonder if their parents know that they are on the computer after bedtime?

There are many things offered for sale in the marketplace. Not everything will be useful to everyone, but choices are what makes the world go round. It is also part of free enterprise. Sometimes, if a person gets out from behind their monitor and actually leaves the house, they will find there's a big, interesting world out there. As a bonus, they might actually learn something.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I believe this is sorely needed here...

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's pretty, but is it functional? Or perhaps someone might buy it as a wall hanger. It is expensive, and qualifies as a piece of art.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Liberace would have loved that bedazzled looking thing. I'll take an easy pass on that one.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I would hate to mar it in any way. I'd be worried that I'd mess up the wood or scratch the metal finish. Think of the cost to restore a simple nick in the wood! If you are well off, I suppose that might not be a concern.

I'd pass on it as a hunting piece as well, but only because of the fear factor. But as a work of art, it would be nice on my wall.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Classy as always Jorge.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Jorge. About time someone highlighted the absolute tasteless and useless crap that people sink money into on a rifle. To make it look like what a pimp cane ? To make it work how?

Please.

Polished turd regArds.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm sensing that this oversize bolt knob issue is becoming divisive. Anybody hire some underage Russian prostitutes to pee on their rifle lately?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jorgeI

[Linked Image]

Gross.

Why on Earth would someone ruin such a nice action with ugly metal tattoos?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
[Linked Image]

Gross.
Why on Earth would someone ruin such a nice action with ugly metal tattoos?

You know what they say, Beauty is in the eye....... Jorge, that's GORGEOUS.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 01/21/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Beautiful wood but I never understood the attraction to the high-gloss finish.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

Looks like a Roy Weatherby wet dream. Pass.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Those have to be the fanciest rings I've ever seen........

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (Akhutr, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,087
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.