Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
338rcm Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Last scope I sent in for a reticle change cost me $70.Called yesterday and was told $200

WTF??

Interesting. Maybe a bean counter found out they were losing money?

The bean counter must be lining his own pockets at current prices

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The old prices for reticle and turret changes seemed more than fair considering skilled labor costs in Beavertown. I'm surprised that it went as long as it did. Can't imagine them making any money with the old price structure.

Sorry to hear about the situation for all the Leupo fans.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The old prices for reticle and turret changes seemed more than fair considering skilled labor costs in Beavertown. I'm surprised that it went as long as it did. Can't imagine them making any money with the old price structure.

I have a feeling that the previous model wasn't about making money, but providing service to their customers. I'm not sure how much work and cost is actually involved in receiving and processing a scope, disassembling, installing new reticle, purging & whatever other steps are needed to reassemble, function testing, repackaging, and shipping back on their dime is, but I have a feeling it's more than $70 and has been for quite some time.

338rcm Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have no problem with Leupold raising prices, but that is quite the increase

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I’ll still use them for changes in my high end scopes. It makes little sense to put $200 into a reticle change in a $250 dollar scope but the same amount for a change in a $1000 dollar scope to make it exactly how I want it is much easier to accept. The $60-$75 they used to charge was a steal, I don’t blame them one bit for raising the prices.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bersh

I have a feeling that the previous model wasn't about making money, but providing service to their customers. I'm not sure how much work and cost is actually involved in receiving and processing a scope, disassembling, installing new reticle, purging & whatever other steps are needed to reassemble, function testing, repackaging, and shipping back on their dime is, but I have a feeling it's more than $70 and has been for quite some time.

With all the Leupold beetching that goes on here, perhaps they said raise the price to what it costs, we get bad PR no matter what we do.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
As usual, the market will decide if it's too high or not. Leupy techs will be sitting around twiddling their thumbs, or be stacked up with work. We'll see.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad I had Leupold install their German # 4 in my spank new
FX-3 6x42 matte 1 1/2 year ago for $65.00 plus tax!
I would not pay $200 to do it now.
Just buy a Meopta 6x42 with their German # 4

Molan Labe
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Maybe it’s cheaper if you order the scope from custom shop with prefered reticle I don’t know but to up the price for a reticle change to 3x the cost is ridiculous. I believe Swarovski charges $200 for a reticle change but they are all expensive scopes. Makes no sense to charge $200 for a reticle change in a $200 scope.
I knew years ago when Leupold went from vx3 to 3i and prices seemed lower on brand new scope something was wrong. Oh well we’ll see how it turns out. You would think as large as Leupold is one of its reps would comment on some of the forums somewhere and address all the complaints.

Last edited by nuguy; 01/22/18.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by nuguy
Maybe it’s cheaper if you order the scope from custom shop with prefered reticle I don’t know but to up the price for a reticle change to 3x the cost is ridiculous. I believe Swarovski charges $200 for a reticle change but they are all expensive scopes. Makes no sense to charge $200 for a reticle change in a $200 scope.
I knew years ago when Leupold went from vx3 to 3i and prices seemed lower on brand new scope something was wrong. Oh well we’ll see how it turns out. You would think as large as Leupold is one of its reps would comment on some of the forums somewhere and address all the complaints.

Ya right. He could address the complaints, but if you didn't agree with the message, you would run him off right after the tar and feathers.

Last edited by battue; 01/22/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
As usual, the market will decide if it's too high or not. Leupy techs will be sitting around twiddling their thumbs, or be stacked up with work. We'll see.

JGR,

Custom Shop and repair people were one and the same, at least that was my understanding. They were plenty busy with both, but that was a few years ago. Things may have changed since I've been there, and maybe I didn't have the full scoop.

Jason

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
Damn, are they trying to run all of us off?

Yep, then they'll wonder why people left them.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I've been following this constant stream of complaints about Leupolds for years. What it always comes down to is the ones with complaints have a general lack of knowledge about scopes in general and Leupolds in particular.

Not even close.

Leupold has big problems as of late.

I’ve got older ones that work great. I’ve got newer ones too. Some work, some don’t.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I got this email from the custom shop today

Cost for the change to a post and duplex in your scope would run 200.00 plus any applicable taxes.

If you choose to have the work done, box the scope up including a note stating the work to be done along with your contact/shipping information. Once received we will call you to confirm the work and to collect payment via debit/credit. You will find our return address in my signature line below. Turn time currently is approximately 5-6 weeks.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I asked them about the price increase and here is their response! "We have changed our retrofit pricing through the Custom Shop as of the first of the year. We hadn't really adjusted prices for about 8-9 years, so it was a bit past due. Some reticle change costs have increased more than others. If you'd like a quote on any particular scope and reticle install, contact our Custom Shop at 1-888-629-4811 8-4 PST, M-F, or by email at CustomShopLeupold.com."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you really care this change, you should send an email to the CEO, Bruce Pettet, and express your concern. This is the sort of little thing that drives long time customers away and heralds the beginning of the end.

brucepleupold.com

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I called a few months ago and inquired about having a German #1 installed in my VX6, custom shop guy says sure we can do that, $60 send it in.

I did and a few weeks later I got a call that said they could not do it but here's a list of what we can do. She proceeded to list the various reticles for $60 which included 2 or 3 if I remember correctly. The rest of what they could do in the VX6 were considerably higher. I told her to just send the scope back as is, she paused and said her supervisor said they could do the SPR or one other for $60 since that is what I was quoted. I chose the SPR and all worked out but someone needs to get everyone on the same page out there.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"This is the sort of little thing that drives long time customers away and heralds the beginning of the end."
260Remguy, you nailed it!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,420
Posts18,470,563
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.