-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Skinned ASAP, head down, washed with cold water from the hose, hung 7days or more in a dry cold place with fan on the cavity till it dries out.

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Field dress with a small knife and small Sagen saw, opening the pelvis and rib cage. Split the deer from jaw to tail and get everything out cleanly.

Then hang head down for however long to age.

Skin with knife only, and we save the hide to trade off later.

Debone starting at:
1) remove backstraps.
2) remove shoulder quarters and send to deboning table.
3) remove neck meat boneless.
4) remove rear quarters with knife and send to deboning table.

Never use a saw for processing. Leaves bone marrow on meat, which tastes bad and if there is cancer or prion-diseases, they will be in the marrow and lymph nodes. Throw the bones away and carefully get rid of all the inner-muscular lymph nodes.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Head down, that way if there is anything in the oesophagus it won't run down the chest cavity and makes skinning much easier...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Never use a saw for processing. Leaves bone marrow on meat, which tastes bad

I too fillet all moose and deer for the same reason. Removing bone dust and all fat, esp from deer will improve the flavour greatly.

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Gutless

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I (almost) always gralloch my deer in the field as I understand doing it is best for the meat.

If I do it at the garage, I do it head down. I saw the hip bone and the sternum and everything comes out easy peasy with the help of gravity, falling directly into a rubber bucket and without much messing.

Whichever way I do it, I leave it hanging until rigor mortis disppear, when I skin it and debone it.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Ive was taught how to skin one by hanging them head down. Never tried it any other way. Hang them up and slit the throat to try and drain some blood and work away.

I didnt notice anybody say they debone as they go.
I find it easier to go ahead and debone the meat starting at hinds and working down getting the meat off the bones and throwing it in a cooler of cold water.
When we are done just wrap the cap back along the deer and load it up to haul it to the bone yard. Havent used a gut bucket in a long time.

Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
I hang mine with the head down. I don't ever gut them anymore and never use a saw.

I was in a camp once that had a homemade walk in freezer. Worked well til freezer part quit.

Now I debone hanging. No need to gut. Cut the stomach far enough down to reach in and get sweet meat.

Deboning while hanging allows me more room for meat in a cooler.

Yep and easier to process when getting it home.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I never thought about the bone marrow from the sawing. That doesn’t sound too good.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Where I use the saw does not affect the meat. It's only to dis connect parts.

I cut the meat away from the sawed areas & bones. It's a non issue to me.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gut them where they die. That’s why they call it “ field dressing” . Hang it in the shed ,head down , with a gambrel through the back legs. I think there’s more than one way to skin a cat for this question.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by hanco
Why do you gut them?

Not everyone can drive up to the corn spinner for wheeled retrieval. smile

And retrieve a 90 pound deer.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

I use this methodology too, however, you don't need a saw or pruning shears. I simply place the tip of my knife, at the centre of the pelvis juncture & 2-3 taps of the back of the blade with a hatchet splits the pelvis, slight push on each inner ham & done.

Why not just whack it with the hatchet then?

The more I hunt the more I discover I need a lot less schit in my pack or pockets. I do use a Sagen saw sometimes, if I have it with me. But most of the time I just reach in and pull it out because I can cut it from the outside almost all the way around.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tom, if you whack the pelvis directly with a hatchet, it splinters, then the pelvis cuts up the back of your hands !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Suddenly, I've come to realize I don't bone or debone a carcass, I meat or demeat it.

1Minute
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

If I can drive a vehicle to the deer, I usually bring along a pair of limb clippers and use that tool to cut the pelvis bone

That's a great idea! Can't wait to give it a try.......

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by kellory
A rubber surgical glove over the action of the sawzall, keeps the saw parts clean. I take the blade trhrough one of the fingers and tape at the cut, and the wrist, and no gore in my saw.

Thanks for that tip. I need to try that. I have a devil of a time getting the Saws-All clean. That should keep most of the funk out.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Tom, if you whack the pelvis directly with a hatchet, it splinters, then the pelvis cuts up the back of your hands !

Gotchya!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
A rubber surgical glove over the action of the sawzall, keeps the saw parts clean. I take the blade trhrough one of the fingers and tape at the cut, and the wrist, and no gore in my saw.

Thanks for that tip. I need to try that. I have a devil of a time getting the Saws-All clean. That should keep most of the funk out.

You will notice a vast improvement. I take the blade through the middle finger.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by hanco
I’m gonna have to try the saw thing, split sternum, damn sure worth trying.

I use a cordless Saws-all to cut the legs off at the knee. Then I use it to cut the spine right above the ass end and throw the whole rear up on the table and use a knife to unhook the hind quarters from the pelvic bone. Then I use the saw to cut the head off of the body carcass for easy packaging in trash bags. If it has horns, I use the saw to cut the skull cap off. It can certainly make the job a lot quicker and easier.

As far as the sternum goes, if i'm not mounting it, I bust up on one side or the other where the ribs hook to it with a knife. You can cut right through the ribs right there. It's soft bone. I do that so I can reach up to grab and cut the wind pipe and yank everything out in one clean swoop.

Everyone does schit different, no right or wrong way. That's why we read these types of threads to find out better ways to do stuff. Different strokes for different folks.

Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

You will notice a vast improvement. I take the blade through the middle finger.

Of course the middle finger. grin

Ronald Reagan
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

695 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 3,282 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,748
Posts18,476,161
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.